The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help Me Build This Bolter Prime As A Generalist

-CM-Mecra

Question

hey guys. I want to build a bolter prime that is, for the most part, a take-on-all-comers spec. I realize this will hurt it's overall DPS, but I don't have a lot of guns nor want to specialize my guns at this time.

I have every mod except Malignant Force. Below is what I'm currently building  towards.

http://goo.gl/kAhijz

Any thoughts of swapping fire for viral? Corrosive vs magnetic?

Thanks guys.

Stelonous

11 answers to this question

My only issue is this website doesn't account the new settings on status chance and multishot for shotguns. Having a maxed Hell's Chamber in a Boar Prime doesn't properly boost it's status chance to ~55%, nor is its base chance 40%. No idea how many other inconsistencies it has. Bear that in mind when using this site.

That being said, as for elementals, My Dera typically performs very well as an all-arounder with a corrosive fire build (sometimes making Boss armor = 0 by the end of a boss fight with its 28% status chance.).

That also being said, Magnetic Toxin damage is also rather fun, but works better versus corpus than Grineer or Infested, in my experience.

If you plan on putting heavy caliber in your Boltor Prime, don't expect to hit anything outside of mid range...

You know each weapon has multiple build slots right? Anyways I'd put on corrosive since that gets weak grineer, ancients, and corrupted. 

This is why I chose corrosive fire. I added the fire in because that also hits grineer, infested, and post-shield-destruction corpus humanoids pretty hard, plus the CC and DoT chances are too good to pass up.

I would do a basic void setup, Corrosive/Cold, or I would go with the Grineer setup, Rad/Toxin. Both are semi-effective against Corpus as well as lessers from the other faction. Corrosive/Cold works better for Infested tho.

You know each weapon has multiple build slots right? Anyways I'd put on corrosive since that gets weak grineer, ancients, and corrupted. 

I may be dumb and not know this. I will have to look. o_O

Ok, I was being dumb. However, I still like to have an all-comers build so the ideas alreayd presented are great. :)

Edited by stelonous

It's not a generalist weapon. You can look at its base damage mix and see that.

However, it does have high base damage so what you're asking is what elements can work best across all factions. We can reject anything that works from procs, since the gun has low status effect even with stacked damage/status mods.

Corrosive/cold is probably best overall. It's effective on most grineer, it's very effective on infested, it's very effective on corrupted, and it's middling on corpus.

What you're going to run into is any mission that pits you against enemies around 30+ you'll eventually run into ammo issues if they aren't optimally engaged by corrosive. If you keep enemy level below 25, it won't much matter what damage type you choose since they'll be easy to kill with the BoltorPs very high base damage.

Frankly, choosing a general damage type is a fool's errand, but if you're going to do something wrong there is a least bad way to do it and that way is corrosive/cold.

The reason the Soma has been the best general weapon is because crits don't get the same resistances as other damage types.  That being said most Soma Builds still use an elemental for the extra punch vs. high levels.  Corrosive is the best all around, but not ideal against high level heavy grineer nor high level corpus.  With a boltor the crit build is very sub-optimal, and frankly if you are doing something like 25+ minutes of survival you are going to want to build faction specific against the tougher mobs.

If you just want a build to do most stuff in the game without worrying about anything high level.

Then yeah, corrosive + cold.

remove Speed trigger (fire rate).

take off fire / 7p electric

do full 11p electric 11p toxic Corrosive, and cold - seems to be the general all rounder for Infested / grinner / void

if your vs corpus you can simply swap 1 mod round to make Magnetic + toxic.

or setup a proper anti corpus build on B or C with BANE.

I personally think Shred is a waste of time at these mod levels because if boltor kills anything it has natural punch through. its simply an expensive 30% fire rate.

my boltor prime's general build uses corrosive+fire. I also forma'd out that pesky D polarity, because it just forces you to use cold damage. I'd also say get rid of speed trigger

so you'll want: Serration, Heavy cal, shred, split chamber, then probably 4 elements. infected clip, stormbringer, wildfire, hellfire. fire and corrosive are great damage types, not too many resistances. wildfire's extra mag capacity is nice, and I'd use infected clip+stormbringer over malignant force or high voltage, since boltor prime isn't a status weapon. you can replace hellfire with one of those if you want more corrosive over more fire, but fire is only resisted by proto shields. the only common enemy that has those is the corpus tech, if I recall, so fire is always a solid single damage type to have

The reason the Soma has been the best general weapon is because crits don't get the same resistances as other damage types.

Just want to point out that this information is totally false. The reason the Soma is currently performing better than 'expected' is that critical headshots get a 4x multiplier instead of the usual 2x. All this means is that while its utterly critical (PtP) to get headshots with the Soma, its not as important on the Boltor Prime.

The Corrosive/Cold build with 3 forma would be http://goo.gl/Ih2Kyj. You can replace an event mod for Ammo Mut, or both event mods for Ammo Mut and Speed Trigger.

Edited by Darzk