Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Warframe

Softness

Anybody else noticing crippling weaknesses to this play?

I have been playing daily for about a week and the effectiveness of this warframe is a joke. Not even comparable to Excalibur.

I haven't seen a single other Volt and I couldn't honestly blame anybody for not playing it.

Shock does almost no damage at all at max level, even to enemies with/without shields.

Speed is useless except to catch up, as there is no other benefit other than running fast.

Overload is ok, but only if what you are combating is ten levels lower than your warframe, as if your competition is equal, you will do nothing other than float in the air like a lovely target, only to land as the stun effect of the electricity wears off.

I could not be less satisfied with this suit, it's actually &!$$ing me off.

100 energy to use an ability that can't kill anything, while Rhino, Loki, Excalibur are runnign around with 25 energy ability massacring multiple foes at a time, Grineer, Corpus, and Infested alike.

Either remove it, or buff it up, because it is;

A: not worth paying for

B: not worth playing with

C: not worth putting any time/thought into

I'm almost level 30 with the suit, and yet am relying almost entirely on other players to compete with enemies equal, or two/three levels lower than me. If it weren't for the effectiveness of the rifle, I would quit playing because of it's weakness.

Long story short, (irony) it is supremely misleading to read a bio of the suit as a "potent damage alternative" or some such phrasing to firearms combat when the @(*()$ thing cannot damage/kill a single creature with it's inherent abilities.

Also, anybody reading who was wondering which to roll, Excalibur is supremely OP. Full firearms ability, plus being able to literally walk through dozens of enemies crowded into a room attacking you?

Yeah, Volt was a HUGE mistake.

Volt used to be one of the strongest frames. Shock was very good. Overload was amazing. Speed still is a good escape and Electric Shield is useful for many situations. Volt was nerfed, the energy cost was reworked, then I think he was buffed again. I liked his balanced kit, but back when we needed to supercharge to get the ult, I didn't have a potato for him.

You probably don't see a lot of Volts because he was replaced? by Mag as a starter.

I've been playing Volt since open beta started and have no real desire to switch frame other than to get more XP to rank up and buy the HEK. Shock has been removed from my bar after hitting later missions, and higher defence waves with my friends. Overload is obscenely good against the corpus as their levels have by far the most electronics, even on wave 20+ on an indoor corpus defence it'll still clear huge sections of the map in one press. The fact that it's terrain reliant makes it a very interesting Warframe, but it does punish it severely against infested (Ancients are also immune to overload, which annoys me immensely).

I don't mind the current state of speed, but would really like shock to have something new added to it, like perhaps a forced shield regen delay debuff or something, just to give me a reason to equip it again and use it on certain enemy types.

Volt is just more faction-dependent than any other starter frame (and might even edge out Ember for the most faction-dependent frame in the game). He struggles greatly against Infested, is of middling effectiveness against Grineer and utterly trivializes Corpus.

As for some of your specific points:

Shock does do a good bit of damage, as well as immobilizing targets. Pretty useless against Infested, because of their resistances.

Overload is good against Corpus of all levels, and should be clearing rooms of Grineer at equivalent level (really, only heavy units should be left standing). It's basically useless against Infested (seeing a pattern here?), particularly since the ones you actually want to hurt the most are immune to electrical damage.

You're wrong about Speed. It's useful for a great deal more than catching up--it might be the more important survivability tool in Volt's kit over Electric Shield. It's his ticket out of stunlock and being overwhelmed; it also makes him good for revives.

About the relative strengths of each kit--I agree that Excalibur is overall better than Volt. Radial Javelin is more useful against non-Corpus heavies, and Corpus "heavies" go down much more easily than Grineer or Infested ones anyway. Slash Dash is laughably cheap in energy cost for what it does, especially compared to abilities like Shock, Freeze or Pull. Electric Shield and Speed both cost more energy than they really should, because of the quartile framework of abilities. Reducing energy costs of those two powers and raising Slash Dash energy usage (while lowering Super Jump to 25) would be how I would balance those kits against each other.

I had to figure it had been nerfed by it's performance. Shock above level 15 is practically useless, except as you said, to the Corpus. It just seems, as compared to most of the other frames I've run with, impotent. I rely on the firearms, and only use abilities out of desperation. Although I must agree, in the off-chance I run into a large group in a room filled with electronies, overload is quite effective. But that's so few and far between a lot of the time that it's just not worth it for me.

I'm just curious as to anybody elses problems, because I know I will be switching ASAP unless I can gain some insight as to the possibility it might be my approach.

I can see what you mean, I have a very aggressive approach to play. But I only achieved Shield once and sold it in my earliest levels due to being a total noob and not knowing what I was doing. I don't think I would hold onto the Frame just for the ease of play against Corpus, which is the only enemy I seem to take a step up against when playing with friends or other Frames.

Most people I play with are Excalibur or Loki, so perhaps it's the Excalibur that could use a nerfing for greater balance?

I for one love my Volt warframe, I'm trynna find shocking touch for my sword just so I'm the ultimate electric type Poke'--

Erm... Yeah shock is useless, I just run around gathering energy so I can overload my way to extraction.

I usually play have a Paris as my main weapon so infested are an even worse pain in the &#!. Akbolto and spam use of the E button greatly increase chances of survivability. :)

Volt is my main frame and I have had no issues with him. Even though he got a big nerf, overload is still ridiculously powerful. Strap on focus and reach with a maxed overload and you can wipe an entire room and some of the next one! Even up to levels 35-55! Then if you have a half decent gun you can clean up the ancients left or the heavy grineers. I haven't got his additional helmet but I assume that would just make his overload even better, perhaps finishing off the heavier grineers. Admittedly shock is useless other than for tickling so put a more useful mod on instead. I use speed with a good charge weapon, ie the scindo, turn on speed, charge at a group of enemies and if you time your weapon charge up right you can slice a group of enemies as you run past them, effectively a slash and dash. Electric shield is good for reviving and bosses or if you are in a time of need, spam a few around yourself and crouch for survival.

Volt is my only warframe and I love it. But at some point after update 7 my overload lost a lot of power. I activate it and watch as only have the people inside it die when all of them used to die. I have upgraded it to rare 2 and I have power strength mods but I dont think those actually do anything.

But mostly I use him as a tank because he has high starting base shields and health compared to the other wareframes as far as I can tell. My only comparisons are to an excalibur and loki. But I run with over 650 shields and over 300 health while they run around half that. But I would liek to know why my volt lost power to his best move which was just right as it was before the updates.