Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Everyone Hates Arc Traps. Remove Them.

Boatsniper

With an emphasis on hate.

Arc Traps were, are, and will forever be, a terrible idea. They add an unfair annoyance to Galleon maps, their spawning is completely broken, they cannot be damaged by explosives, and they ONLY target the player outside of Invasion missions. This is not a gameplay element. They actively discourage exploration playing the game and it should never have been conceived as an idea.

Those who defend Arc Traps are masochists. The "prevents rushing" argument is absolutely pathetic. If anything, it encourages rushing far more than the opposite.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3318336280493385296/BD7741044BCC049D68E514AAA169FB68A5AB00A0/

Notice the blast proc. Yes, an explosive barrel knocked me down, then a second one killed me, along with the arc traps. I hate them.

EDIT: For those who take things too literally, the title is an exaggeration. The majority of the playerbase hates them.

Edited by Boatsniper

not sure if they should be removed but the amount of lightning should be taken down a notch,i hate them for the pure fact that sometimes you cant see where you are getting hit from if there are multiple traps nearby.

They should be a tiny bit more noticeable.

And I agree, the constant damage can be a bit much at times. I'm all for changing it to a similar mechanic to Vauban's Tesla.

Well, opinion stated are fact. Isn't it fun?

Run through them as quickly as possible, in turn, taking as little damage as possible.

^This.

It's not like anyone BOTHERS to kill them and keep the squishy members of the group from getting fried by them. Might make people slow down and we can't have THAT, now can we?

They should be a tiny bit more noticeable.

And I agree, the constant damage can be a bit much at times. I'm all for changing it to a similar mechanic to Vauban's Tesla.

Agreed. The constant shocks get old.

Edited by Kalenath

I'd just like them removed as quickly as possible; they were a unique idea when first proposed but as time has past and seen their implementation in the stealth missions, I see little place for these things in the game.

They do not stop rushers, and in fast encourage players to speed out of zapping range even more quickly.  They, through which stealth is impossible, clash with the mechanics of the wardens which requires stealth.  There is little premonition to being zapped by 2-3 at extraction, the place where people should be the safest; and Lord save them if their health is running low on a survival.

One major problem has already been stated, the lack of prior warning; their sizes are small and their placements seemingly arbitrary, appearing on walls, piping, or even on doors.  Fixing this and providing an element of skill to avoiding these things will make gameplay more difficult, but such is almost always better than punishing gameplay, smacking down players for seemingly little reason at all.  I wouldn't mind just seeing them removed as a whole either.

I'd just like them removed as quickly as possible; they were a unique idea when first proposed but as time has past and seen their implementation in the stealth missions, I see little place for these things in the game.

They do not stop rushers, and in fast encourage players to speed out of zapping range even more quickly.  They, through which stealth is impossible, clash with the mechanics of the wardens which requires stealth.  There is little premonition to being zapped by 2-3 at extraction, the place where people should be the safest; and Lord save them if their health is running low on a survival.

One major problem has already been stated, the lack of prior warning; their sizes are small and their placements seemingly arbitrary, appearing on walls, piping, or even on doors.  Fixing this and providing an element of skill to avoiding these things will make gameplay more difficult, but such is almost always better than punishing gameplay, smacking down players for seemingly little reason at all.  I wouldn't mind just seeing them removed as a whole either.

I'd prefer to see them made into a meaningful mechanic rather than outright removing them, but that's just me.

I would like to see an actually dangerous trap that DISCOURAGES people from being stupid about rushing through areas.

I mean, it's not like a land mine stops people from going through an area. (Seriously) it makes them more cautious about doing it. The whole IDEA of traps, land mines, etc is area denial. To constrict an enemy's movement. They cannot STOP movement. They CAN slow it.

The arc traps as they are do not do this.

Now if they did damage based on the speed of the player moving through their area of influence... Maybe snared them in place for a bit? Or even better... dispelled any abilities that were active when the player enters the zone... *evil grin*

Edited by Kalenath

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which people will try to justify a bad idea under the impression that doing so somehow makes it a good idea. It's STILL a bad idea, even if you can justify it in your mind all day long. Ask yourself what they actually ADD to the game first, which seems to be precisely nothing.

Arc traps themselves aren't a problem.

The fact that they can be hidden inside objects, can fire through objects, cannot be destroyed by AoE attacks, and that Sentinels won't shoot them even if they are taking damage from them, are problems.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which people will try to justify a bad idea under the impression that doing so somehow makes it a good idea. It's STILL a bad idea, even if you can justify it in your mind all day long. Ask yourself what they actually ADD to the game first, which seems to be precisely nothing.

That it is a bad idea is your own opinion. Allow others to form their own, please.