Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Everyone Hates Arc Traps. Remove Them.

Boatsniper

That it is a bad idea is your own opinion. Allow others to form their own, please.

Then answer the proposed question: what do they actually ADD to gameplay? Not a bevy of ways which their annoyance can be dealt with but what they actually ADD to the experience. Game mechanics are relatively objective things most of the time, not necessarily a matter of "opinion"

Then answer the proposed question: what do they actually ADD to gameplay? Not a bevy of ways which their annoyance can be dealt with but what they actually ADD to the experience. Game mechanics are relatively objective things most of the time, not necessarily a matter of "opinion"

they are a plus for the grineer map who were essentially only the mobs before (weren't there some talk about grineer turret or something? or is it that?)

since it's an unusual element it's something you more or less have to take notice of, if you want to rush you'll get a mini zap maybe, if you're not rushing you might stop and destroy them or avoid them.

if you are under fire, badly positionned and unlucky it might reduce your shield highly and sometimes contribute to your death.

if you are a nice guy type moving in front you might destroy them for your teammates

when they get destroyed they damage things around though it's nothing too interesting

they zap corpus during invasions (not cool for them), didn't see for infested

you can use them as auto damage for certain mechanics

I'm still trying to understand how exactly they're supposed to stop rushers? The only time I ever notice them is when I'm trying to take cover behind something and... oh, hi arc trap. Hi dead-&#! Tenno. They're trolly as hell and the completely random, often obfuscated nature of their spawns prevents them from really being a legitimate challenge like, say, Corpus cameras. They're just there to be an annoyance and to damage you when you least need it. I think Grineer maps and their near constant bleed debuff have enough of that.

I don't really hate arc traps all that much, they just need to be tweaked, not removed.

A) Fix the spawning of arc traps-do not let them spawn in hard to reach places or inside objects

B) Allow arc traps to be hit with AOE attacks

C) Have arc traps fire in 0.5-1 second  pulses, so that they do not continually damage players

I agree. Before I was in favor of them, but now they had become an annoyance. Especially in invasion missions, where the hot LZ in the Corpus ship was simply removed from the game due to arc traps. Did the devs played that invasion mission to see the damage the arc traps had done to its playability? 

In the rescue missions they seem to be fine, but only to be put on the front door, to encourage players to find alternative paths. But in other missions they are not needed. 

Edited by Wolfstorm18

It was DE's attempt at giving us something to slow players down but the execution lore wise is horrible. Grineer go around their ships randomly placing sentient electrical arcing traps just in case tenno come on, so they can be tickled with a bit of electricity? 

Next, Grineer will have sentient floor traps that sense when players are zorrencoptering and open up and drop players into space. 

Remove that asap.

Doing 30 min survival with no revive, running out of oxigen, running to the exits with 10 health.

BAM! mission failed.

Why ? Because you decided to put those arc traps at the mission exit.

I am not kidding and sometimes there are like 4 close in 1 place all chaining electricity at you and your sentinel.

Remove that stuff.

They add nothing to gameplay and serve as a minor (and sometimes severe) annoyance. If they switched with something that only hit every few seconds or so rather than a constant drain that would be better but then it would just be another turret...which would be fine. Arc traps just suck. We already have death orbs and turrets and the disruption doors. We don't need arc traps.

I enjoy Arc traps actually; I think they can be an inconvenience for sure but they are amazing in terms of difficulty.

Truth is; I would enjoy more arc like traps in the future.. Like Caustic Mines that eat through your health like a horde of ants at an abandoned picnic.

I'm trying to catch up to my group and they've blazed through skipping the majority of the level to get to extraction. I jump through the door and zap for 5 or 6 seconds straight. I had to dash past a shield, a scorpion, and a heavy gunner (all of which had done their CC one right after the other) so I'm already down to half health. Then I get perma zapped by these traps.

Best part, one of them had been locked behind the glass so my party couldn't have killed it if they wanted to.

I'm not a fan of them having a constant shock effect, sometimes grouping up into 2s sometimes 3s.

With that being said, I would not like to see them removed completely. I wouldn't mind seeing a blast or a charge up. When they were the "malfunctioning light," the constant zap made sense.

Perhaps knock out shield regeneration, a stun or a snare for a few seconds and remove the constant zap?

Edited by Gondrith

Maybe not removal but they REALLY need a spawn nerf. having 2-4 in a tile is just ridiculous. Max of 15 a whole mission or something. They only get so irritating because there are so many of them. I don't understand how they would have deployed the traps in some of the locations they are in. As it stands right now the next model of grineer ship will just be a giant shock trap, filled with smaller shock traps nesting doll style. 

I actively avoid grineer ship tilesets because of them, shooting 3 a tile just gets so tedious. Maybe thats their master plan, just make boarding the ship so painfully irritating the tenno leave them alone.