The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Puncture = Armor Piercing?

ultra_KING

Question

So I've forma'd my because I had a bunch more mods I wanted on it. I have 2 critical chance and 2 critical damage mods on my soma now but I'm noticing for some reason it's not killing as fast even though before I forma'd I only had one critical chance and damage. I decided it must be because I have no armor piercing on. I thought puncture was just a damage type that was for basic damage which is why I didn't put it on soma yet. But is puncture really what does the armor piercing effect if not tell me what does please.

10 answers to this question

There is no longer any damage types that ignore armor, puncture is just a base damage type that comes with its own effects, strengths, and weaknesses. Like you thought before, it is just a basic damage type.

Puncture does increased damage to ferrite armor, alloy armor, Corpus robotics, and Infested sinew, but does reduced damage to Shields and Proto Shields. On proc it reduces the victim's damage.

Armor piercing was a feature in damage 1.0 and is now non-existent.

In a way, yes, Puncture does equal armor piercing, but not in the way you think.

Take for example, the Grineer's selection of armour, Alloy and Ferrite.  Ferrite Armour is weak to Puncture Damage by 50% the norm, and Alloy Armour is weak to Puncture Damage by 25%.  In this way, by my guess, is that 15-50% of all puncture damage dealt is not mitigated by their armour value, but it does not appropriately pierce the armour.

Puncture is a damage type which helps in calculating damage, Punchthrough mods such as shred and metal auger aid in eliminating mods by granting bullet penetration. Armor piercing values use to exist but they have long been taken out of this game since update 11's damage 2.0 damage system. Also, Elemental damage mods and faction mods ( bane, cleanse, smite) out perform critical damage multiplier mods. If we had the direct builds we could be of more help.

Also, Elemental damage mods and faction mods ( bane, cleanse, smite) out perform critical damage multiplier mods. If we had the direct builds we could be of more help.

I'm sorry, but OP said he was speaking of his Soma. If you don't mod Soma for critical chance and damage you are not using it correctly.

Normally this is a true statement, though I've never been fond of the faction mods myself, but some weapons are best used modded for criticals.

Right now I'm using critical delay, hammer shot, point strike, vital sense, and shred.

Your problem is not having Serration or Split Chamber. Those are still very important even though Soma's base damage is low.