The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Prime Frames Be : Slight Upgrade Or Purely Visual?

Stefanovich

I would be ok with a trade off type upgrade.

Examples:

-  Prime frame has better raw stats (shield/health/stam/energy/speed/etc.) but less slots for mods.

-  Prime frames can equip 2 auras but have less raw stats

-  Prime frames can equip 2 primaries, but cannot equip a melee weapon

Of course stuff like that would require some type of Prime Frames 2.0 to implement and would have to be done with extreme caution since we need only to look at the corrupted mods that were supposed to be trade offs but for some builds there was no disadvantage to using them.

Stuff like that.

I'm strongly opposed to direct upgrades for several reasons.  The most important reason being that if someone supercharges and forma's their Nova for example, then DE releases Nova prime that is a direct upgrade, all the grinding and forma and plat is entirely wasted on an obsolete frame.  Then there's the fact that it creates a disparity in power between new players and veterans (which there already is due to having to grind mods/forma/etc.).

I'm fine with them just having different aesthetics and free formas though personally.

I think adding flavor and variety to new things is a better approach than just releasing power creep items that make older items obsolete.

I think primes should a get a buff, just because I think they should be upgraded versions (dat forma isn't enough). Also, I think that primes should have forma in their bps i don't think people should worry about upgrading their non-primes and then getting the prime, seeing as if you are late enough in game that you really do need to forma, you're late enough ingame to have some lying around, along with catalysts (I have about 10 bps of both potatoes and more forma)

They were supposed to have extra functionality in the void, but DE never really expanded on that beyond letting you get a bit of extra energy with prime frames.  Considering the amount of hastle you have to go through getting them, Imo they should have some kind of added benefit compared to their normal counter parts, preferably something other than straight forward stat upgrades.  It should also be different per frame imo too :|

Edited by Aggh

I think primes should only get bonuses for teams, just like the Death Orb energy boost in the Void. A while back, I had the idea that prime frames get access to unique auras, or 'Prime Auras'.

These would have stronger, or maybe dual effects.

Examples

Barbarian: Extra Health and Melee Dmg

Paladin: Extra Armour and Energy Regeneration

Corny names, but good ideas.

-Jin

Edited by Jin_Lightning

I would be ok with a trade off type upgrade.

Examples:

-  Prime frame has better raw stats (shield/health/stam/energy/speed/etc.) but less slots for mods.

-  Prime frames can equip 2 auras but have less raw stats

-  Prime frames can equip 2 primaries, but cannot equip a melee weapon

Of course stuff like that would require some type of Prime Frames 2.0 to implement and would have to be done with extreme caution since we need only to look at the corrupted mods that were supposed to be trade offs but for some builds there was no disadvantage to using them.

Stuff like that.

I'm strongly opposed to direct upgrades for several reasons.  The most important reason being that if someone supercharges and forma's their Nova for example, then DE releases Nova prime that is a direct upgrade, all the grinding and forma and plat is entirely wasted on an obsolete frame.  Then there's the fact that it creates a disparity in power between new players and veterans (which there already is due to having to grind mods/forma/etc.).

I'm fine with them just having different aesthetics and free formas though personally.

I think adding flavor and variety to new things is a better approach than just releasing power creep items that make older items obsolete.

I agree with your trade-off idea but your third example really doesn't make any sense... You mean it takes forgotten ancient technology to realise that you can strap two guns on yourself into battle? 0.0

Oh wait. Warframe.

http://youtu.be/SRZlJi_VVyk  

Edited by NIXYNIXYNIX

I agree with your trade-off idea but your third example really doesn't make any sense... You mean it takes forgotten ancient technology to realise that you can strap two guns on yourself into battle? 0.0

Oh wait. Warframe.

http://youtu.be/SRZlJi_VVyk  

Yeah true dat.

Was mostly just giving examples so people understood what I was trying to say though, I'm sure lore friendly trade offs that adhere to logic could be thought up.

Either cosmetic or slight sidegrade.

Using Rhino and Ember as examples for how things should have been handled.

Rhino Prime: Faster than regular Rhino because the Orokin alloys in the armour plating make him lighter. However, it's not as tough as our modern ferrite/alloy armour that we make regular Rhino frames out of.

Ember Prime: Increased power strength thanks to Orokin space magic. However, Orokin space magic isn't as energy-efficient as the tenno space magic found in regular Ember.

edit: formatting broke for no good reason at all

Edited by Cybernetix

To me, they should definetly be quite an upgrade from the normal versions,

and not just visually, better stats allaround..

How fun would the GTA franchise series be, if the super sleek sportscars was only as fast as the most ordinary familie car,?

just bling, no speed, ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..

Or Assasins creed, if Alatairs gear was just the same from the get go, = no progression,..

Edit* Tarille said exactly what i mean:

It makes sense that if Prime weapons are intended to be stronger than non-prime variants (See: The buffs that Boltor Prime and Orthos Prime and Latron Prime recieved to make them noticeably better than their non-prime versions) then Prime frames should have benefits over non-prime versions, in more than just an additional polarity (Which isn't even there for Ember Prime)

Anyway,.. just my 2 cents..

Edited by D3ST

The way it is now, is okay to me.

But I'd rather go with the purely cosmetic thing.

Because.... if I get a prime version of a frame before I get it's normal version... what motivation is there to get the normal one?

Thats actually something that seems weird to me, in the market you can get a Prime Warframe for less then 100P, which is VASTLY less the cost of the Non Prime frame in the market.

The way it is now, is okay to me.

But I'd rather go with the purely cosmetic thing.

Because.... if I get a prime version of a frame before I get it's normal version... what motivation is there to get the normal one?

make the normal 1 an ingredient to make the prime one

i think prime frames should be treated like arcane stat helmets, eventually DE might want to release a different upgraded version of a frame that isnt a prime and that one could have different stats as well (they should have 1 negative thing and 1 positive thing for all those people who want to go all out on something specifically)

I like the idea of the primes being upgrades to the normal versions. You worked hard enough grinding for the parts, why not make it worth the effort? (Unless you bought them. I can't exactly say anything about that.)

However I do want it to eventually be implemented that for the primve versions of frames/weapons, one of the ingredients would have to be a maxed level ordinary version, in addition to the prime parts. So for Loki Prime, I would have to have a maxed regular Loki, in addition to the main Prime BP, the Helmet, Chassis, and Systems.  That would make getting the original actually worth something. Biggest problem I do see for implementing this are the dual weapons.