The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are We Turning Into Spartans?

-Mr.Meeseeks-

It seems more and more as the game progresses we are turning more and more into Spartans from the Halo series rather than Warframes. Even some of the backstory is similar. Genetically enhanced / altered humans inside of a suit that are the strongest of any force out there, yet are few in numbers and we NEVER see the person inside the suit.

1. All sorts of non-ninjalike weaponry. It's understandable to a point; of course we aren't going to just stick to katana's, shurikens, and bows, this is of course the future and that simply won't cut it anymore. But several different types of explosive weaponry along with light machine guns? feels a bit off.

2.Armor.Ninja's don't wear armor. It makes noise and lowers mobility. On top of that, with enough armor we start looking more like Spartans and less like Warframes.

3. Stealth is still not rewarded or very viable with most frames. Don't get me wrong, unless stealth was really well rewarded, i'd still most likely blaze through missions blasting away at everything in my path. It just doesn't feel right considering we are supposed to be "space ninjas" and yet hardly anyone stealths; even in rescue 2.0, a mission type where stealth was pushed to be "necessary", we are able to rush on through as long as no one touches the alarm.

In conclusion, I would like some of these things to be worked on; more ninja-like weaponry and stealth to finally get a good overhauling. I would hate for the Tenno to turn into more generic "SPACE MUHREENS" instead of awesome space ninjas.

It seems more and more as the game progresses we are turning more and more into Spartans from the Halo series rather than Warframes. Even some of the backstory is similar. Genetically enhanced / altered humans inside of a suit that are the strongest of any force out there, yet are few in numbers and we NEVER see the person inside the suit.

This existed long before Halo. It's not hard to draw parallels considering how full the sci-fi genre is.

That's a trope, the strong hero who is more than human. Its like demigods from greek myths, but in the future.

Edited by immolator1001

1. All sorts of non-ninjalike weaponry. It's understandable to a point; of course we aren't going to just stick to katana's, shurikens, and bows, this is of course the future and that simply won't cut it anymore. But several different types of explosive weaponry along with light machine guns? feels a bit off.

2.Armor.Ninja's don't wear armor. It makes noise and lowers mobility. On top of that, with enough armor we start looking more like Spartans and less like Warframes.

3. Stealth is still not rewarded or very viable with most frames. Don't get me wrong, unless stealth was really well rewarded, i'd still most likely blaze through missions blasting away at everything in my path. It just doesn't feel right considering we are supposed to be "space ninjas" and yet hardly anyone stealths; even in rescue 2.0, a mission type where stealth was pushed to be "necessary", we are able to rush on through as long as no one touches the alarm.

In conclusion, I would like some of these things to be worked on; more ninja-like weaponry and stealth to finally get a good overhauling. I would hate for the Tenno to turn into more generic "SPACE MUHREENS" instead of awesome space ninjas.

Personal taste. If you want to play WF like HALO, that's an option. If you want to be a ninja with bow, katana, and shuriken, who bounces off walls skillfully and stealthily slays opponents, you can.

I like having the options. No reason not to.

This existed long before Halo. It's not hard to draw parallels considering how full the sci-fi genre is.

That's a trope, the strong hero who is more than human. Its like demigods from greek myths, but in the future.

Ignoring most of my points.

Tenno aren't ninja.

You seem to have missed all the times where DE themselves have referred to the Tenno as "Space Ninjas"

1. Weapons

2.Armor

3. Stealth

1. Ninja in real life used rifles and primitive grenades when it suited them. A weapon is a weapon.

2. Check your facts yo. Ninja wore Kusari chainmail, Kuruta armour plates and Katibira armoured jackets all the time.

294px-Gappa_travel_cape_and_zunin_with_k

3. Being worked on.

From a lore perspective, we should be getting less and less "ninja" like over time.

The Tenno weren't using rifles and swords because they just wanted to be cool jumpy sneaky types.  They literally had to - the sentient were turning anything tech against the Orokin.  Tenno were using rifles and swords because anything high tech was just going to be turned on them by the sentients.  (Source:  Excal & Mag Prime codex)

The sentients are gone.  Extinct.  Our current enemies do not possess their tech-bending abilities.  The reason for using the sword is gone, and we're right back to the point where guided missile beats rock.

So yeah, sneaky-stabby time is over, and now it's rocket launcher/guided lightning gun time.

Edited by Phatose

We aren't ninja, we are warriors. 

Again, the game's motto is "Ninjas play free". We are not warriors, we are ninjas.

EDIT: I read a post where one of the developers referred to the Tenno as both ninja and warrior. We are both, but we are not supposed to be Spartans. 

Edited by NearlyDedicated

None of those things are exclusive to ninja.

Regardless of the type of Japanese warrior you believe the Tenno to be most like, i don't believe any of them ran around with Ogris's blowing stuff up. And no i'm not saying to scrap all the explosive / heavy weapons. I'm asking for DE to ease up of them and focus on smaller, lighter guns.

1. Ninja in real life used rifles and primitive grenades when it suited them. A weapon is a weapon.

2. Check your facts yo. Ninja wore Kusari chainmail, Kuruta armour plates and Katibira armoured jackets all the time.

294px-Gappa_travel_cape_and_zunin_with_k

3. Being worked on.

1. Yes I realize they used rifles back then, but I think Rocket launchers and LMG's were a bit out their range at the time

2. Cool, you learn something new everyday I guess. But that doesn't change the fact that the armor plating in Warframe makes us look more like Spartans from Halo rather than our own unique entities.

3. I just wish Stealth would be pushed up in terms of priorities. Right now the only reliable stealthing method is Infinite Invis Loki/ash.

Yes i'm sure all the Taiko drums in the music along with the Japanese feel to a lot of the dojo rooms is just a coincidence. 

ummmm...I would like to point out that there is a connection between the drums and Japanese culture, but not with ninja in particular. I don't quite see yo point dere. Besides, it is true that much of the tenno is influenced by Japanese culture; however, I like to think of the tenno as certainly possessing a unique "Space Ninja" feel and identity, but still willing to adapt to other forms of technology and warfare in order to fulfill their goals (whatever those may be) and complete the mission. As for the issue with their armour, these are futuristic ninja and have most likely adapted to their time, plus the armour they wear look more like bio-suits or exo-suits even though it may be a bit hard to make the case for the bulkier frames. Ninjas also did historically wear light metal plated armour along with their usual gear and usual cloth garb. I can't always make the point that the tenno and warframes are exactly like ninja, but their not meant to be! I just realize I enjoy writing way too much lolz!

P.S. Not even going to address the Spartan thing, just no;)

Edit: lol just saw the other guy's post on ninja armour, nice pics!

Edited by Shinikage

1. Yes I realize they used rifles back then, but I think Rocket launchers and LMG's were a bit out their range at the time

2. Cool, you learn something new everyday I guess. But that doesn't change the fact that the armor plating in Warframe makes us look more like Spartans from Halo rather than our own unique entities.

1. It's only because of the times that they didn't use them. If LMGs and Rocket Launchers had been invented in Japan back then they totally would have used them.

2. Only one set of armour shoulders even kinda looks like Spartans. Then again Spartans are pretty generic looking, so I don't see it as much of a big deal. With what they where saying right after they came out I'm expecting the next few sets to look more unique.

Regardless of the type of Japanese warrior you believe the Tenno to be most like, i don't believe any of them ran around with Ogris's blowing stuff up. And no i'm not saying to scrap all the explosive / heavy weapons. I'm asking for DE to ease up of them and focus on smaller, lighter guns.

3. I just wish Stealth would be pushed up in terms of priorities. Right now the only reliable stealthing method is Infinite Invis Loki/ash.

1. This is a sci-fi game using logic doesn't count, and ninjas wore armor which was light which was shown to you.

2. Armor especially in a sci-fi game shouldn't be compared to real life in all aspects. A few comparisons are fine, but when you begin to reason that you begin to lose the uniqueness of the game. We are our own unique entities, the armor doesn't cover the whole body like we are playing a medieval knights and dragons game. Our look is unique regardless.

3. Well, I guess that will eventually be worked on, but truth be told. This is a fast paced game so situations change on a whim. It is a choice to stealth for the team which likely they just role in and killing everything lol.

4. Stealth again, I am beginning to see some of it come to warframe in the form of rescue missions. It reduced rng, and rewarded players based on their sense of the situation. If there are more motivating factors to stealth a mission, I am sure that it will become seen more than it is now.