Enemies Of The Tenno: Corpus Submission Winner And Interview

DE_Adam

It’s that time again, when the greatest minds in technological advancement come together to determine the future of Corpus military strength.  Much debate was had over the best way to dispatch any who would stand in the way of Profit, but in the end only one could prevail.  We are of course talking about the most recent winner of our Enemies of the Tenno contest, Volkovyi, whose submitted Riot Moa earned a decisive victory against an incredibly wide range of entries. 

We were able to sit down and chat with Volkovyi about what went into creating the Corpus’ latest in threat-neutralization technology, and gain a little more insight on what went into this particularly unique Moa’s design.

Well, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself.

Oh my, as an artist, player, or just in general?

I'd love to hear about you as an artist.

Well I have been drawing as long as I can remember. My inspirations often came from video games I used to play as a child on my PS1, or cartoons on Toonami like Zoids and Digimon.  Thus we always drew fantasies like dragons and monsters.

That is until we discovered the internet, and then DeviantArt, that we saw so many other artists so much better than I was painting all sorts of things. It was then over the next few years I devoted myself in bettering my skills to become like those great artists and expand my horizon. I always believed that a 'good' artist can draw everything and anything, even though that is not actually true but nonetheless a desire that drives us to this day. One thing that did not change is that my biggest inspirations comes from fantasy movies and video games.

And what drew you into Warframe?

A dear friend of mine told me about a game that was in closed beta about space ninjas. At first I thought that sounded silly the way he sold it, but urged me to make an account to see if I might get a beta key. Alas I did not get key so I waited for the open beta release, and in the mean time browsed the designs of the then 8 warframes to see who will I pick. In general I love robots, cyborgs, mechas, and I misunderstood that the Tenno were these live biomechanical beings instead of suits. Looks are very important to me, and the sheer uniqueness of the aesthetics drew me in, I have never seen any sci fi world that looked like the Warframe world before. Particularly Frost. So at first the looks of the characters drew me to begin the game.

However before open beta I thought the game was some sort of MMO where the player would have to choose one Tenno and stick with him the entire game, while clearing a storyline. So I was prepared to stay with Frost, alas when the open beta came I was confused at the start with the three beginner frames and realized there was a crafting system and that the Warframes were actual suits we hand to make to wear and not characters to pick. While it kind of put me off at first, you know breaking the fantasy of these cool robot-like beings, the 3rd-person over the shoulder parkouring gunfight kept me with the game with my soul mission being to obtain my Frost frame (to my dismay the biggest bullet sponge Lech Krill kept him from me).  The more I played the more I was enthralled with the fun of it. I then brought in my dear friend Anatolius with me to Warframe and we have been playing non-stop ever since.

On a side note, I must point out that the design team of the male Warframes are doing an excellent job. They are very, very handsome indeed. It is an A+ decision to have the game 3rd-person I must say.

Definitely.  One of my favorite things about Warframe is that even though we never see their faces underneath, you feel like so many different kinds of people are represented.

Particularly with the customization.

However I do hope we do not see our Tenno's faces, it is an enthralling mystery to imagine how they look as each player thinks is best. I enjoy that aspect.

mqW4jjl.png

Now, was the Riot Moa your first idea or was it a concept you developed over time?

I had luck in designing the Riot Moa as the inspiration for it came naturally. So yes he was my first developed concept. Sometimes when I design something I struggle to do so folding over many concepts in my mind, but sometimes a certain muse comes from an unlikely place and just a little droplet of inspiration can lead to a great design. I knew I wanted to create a design for just one of the factions, so that I can devote a large amount of skill and time into the artwork, and I sided with the Corpus much like I did in the Gradivus Dilemma. I pondered what could I give the Corpus that fits into their lore aesthetically speaking, but still functions in a way unique to the other units?

At that point I was playing a game called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and a unit called the G.R.A.D. was this transforming bunker robot that blocked your way and it what kicked off my idea. I envisioned a Moa whose purpose was to hold back the Tenno as a line of defense to isolate them in a locked down area of a Corpus ship, with moving shields and folding out artillery. Not only to I enjoy robots, but animal robots are even more fun, so I had an easy time designing him. I did go through several names before we settled on 'Riot Moa.'

What other names were you thinking on?

As far as names go, I pondered over Fort Moa, Bunker Moa, Blockade Moa, Garrison Moa, before my aforementioned dear Ana suggested Riot Moa. I thought it was perfect, short and sweet.

Fort Moa sounds like a castle that no Tenno would ever want to enter.

Lasers and shockwaves everywhere, it would be blinding!

Now you covered its arsenal pretty well, but did you have anything in mind for its rate of fire?

As a general rule of design I like to stay away from too many statistics or finite details, because I believe its more important to sell the design and idea and smaller details would come into play on their own if the idea is accepted.

However I did imagine that the cannon on its back would have a higher fire rate than the missiles on its legs. The idea is that the cannon is a back-up reliable weapon the Moa can use in both walker, and bunker mode before it settles down to use its main weapon which are in fact the missiles. The missiles are stronger, and have a homing element to them, but that is the incentive for the Tenno to decommission the Riot Moa while its walking before it gets a chance to lay heavy waste.

Most Corpus units really focus on the use of shields, any reason the Riot Moa was designed with a heavy armor plating?

I thought it would better his style, and add diversity to the Corpus units. A Tenno with Toxic equipped weapons can bypass Corpus shields and directly erode their tiny healths. The Riot Moa should hold the Tenno back, so in theory bypasses like that would be less effective.

It's certainly a unit that forces players to be a little more aggressive.

On paper at least, I hoped to add a unique unit but not to have it overwhelming.

Well I'm sure it's definitely going to shake up Survival and Exterminate.

Quite literally! I like to imagine that while it might not be big, it is heavy and shakes the ground as it walks. An interesting way to alert the Tenno that its coming.

b98HLqz.gif

A lot of other Corpus submissions were based on expanding the crewmen, but it kind of makes sense that a Moa took it in the end.  They're all about proxies after all.

That is what I understood about the Corpus in general. They are merchants and scientists and so make advance military robotics to replace their organic units in the field and save their own lives at the cost of machinery.  At least that was how I understood it.

Having seen the competition these past few weeks were there any tweaks to Riot Moa's design that you would have liked to make?

I believe I am quite happy and content how the Riot Moa turned out. I did have some debate should I have his feet have three toes like all Moa or have something more solid to carry his weight, but even in hindsight I like his design as he is. His function is clear, and if I couldn't sell that point then a little color alterations or detail changes wouldn't help much. However I was worried toward the last few rounds that Riot Moa would lose to the female corpus design and was humorously grumbling to myself that I should have painted pin-ups on his shields; he would have gotten much more votes and may even better hold back the Tenno.

Well it was really great to chat with you a little further about your creation, I hope you look forward to being blasted by its missile barrage.

I can't wait for the day!

Congrats again to Volkovyi for the amazing entry, and a warm thanks to everyone who submitted an idea for the contest.  The level of talent displayed in our community has been absolutely incredible.  We've still got one more entry to announce, so be sure to keep an eye out for our of the Enemies of the Tenno: Grineer submission contest winner!

Personally, I still feel as though the Riot Moa's design is TOO mech and not enough Corpus. It lacks the kind of rounded, kinda organic feel the rest of the Corpus proxies have. I also feel that the use of actual metal shields feels highly un-Corpus, whereas thicker impenetrable energy shields held out in front (lorewise: a massive, localized upgrade on the Jackal's shields, or a further development of original Hyena's Volt-based electric shield) would be more fitting than giant slabs of metal - they feel too Grineer to me.

Also a touch upset that it was just another Moa design that was victorious when there were a good number of new Proxy designs up for vote. The Moa's should not be the go-to design for the Corpus, merely ONE of a multitude of designs; also, I feel that the "it bunkers down to hold the Tenno back" idea contradicts with the Moa design, as it is (based on what we've see from them) build around mobility and speed, not heavy defense. Should have gone with a different animal idea for it, imo.

But... well, then I read this:

... However I was worried toward the last few rounds that Riot Moa would lose to the female corpus design and was humorously grumbling to myself that I should have painted pin-ups on his shields; he would have gotten much more votes and may even better hold back the Tenno...

... Wow... Just... Wow. If you don't know, he's refereed to YandereSamantha's Auxilitrix (if I spelled that correctly) concept, and the way he words it makes it sound like it was a sloot design, and that was the reason it got votes. It was not. It was a conservative design that fit right in line with the rest of the Corpus look and genuinely brought something to the Corpus that they could use - a dedicate support unit that filled a variety of roles, rather than simply shielding them (i.e. Shield Ospreys).

I can live with the winner, it's a decent concept (even if I have my issues with its presentation) and I look forward to it being in game. But the way this man talks about another competitor in a public interview is just shameful. I'll probably get some backlash for this comment, but I don't care:

You did not deserve to win, Volkovyi, if THAT is how you are going to talk about your competition (by which I mean slandering their designs without basis or explanation to back up your words) when you achieve victory.

Edited by Morec0

Sorta glad you didn't add the pin-ups, I think that would have looked really cheesy on such a badass design.

I'm sort of inclined to agree with Morec0 here, it sounds like you're implying that YS's design only got as far as it did because of the sex appeal, which is disrespectful. The Auxiliatrix would've filled the role of support and buffs, something the Corpus don't really have save for a few flimsy Ospreys. I'd like to think it got as far as it did for it's purpose rather than just being a woman, and hope that you would do the same.

Nonetheless, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a slip of tongue rather than your outlook towards your competition, and I am still happy to see your creation make it to the workbench. Can't wait to fight this thing in-game!

Edited by Paradoxbomb

This looks like it can be a good unit, but I am quite worried it will turn out to play just like Fusion Moa with more health. I hope they can make this thing actually bring variance and skill to gameplay. I did like GRAD in MGR, it was one of my favourite enemies, but MGR did not have insane vertical progression and scaling...

I dunno. It will depend on how they will approach it's attacks, survivability and behavior. I like the design, particularity the retracting armour and lock down mode, but I can see many ways in which it can just turn into yet another bullet sponge/cannon fodder unit with a different skin, like every single other enemy in Warframe right now. Here's hoping this does not happen.

Personally, I still feel as though the Riot Moa's design is TOO mech and not enough Corpus. It lacks the kind of rounded, kinda organic feel the rest of the Corpus proxies have. I also feel that the use of actual metal shields feels highly un-Corpus, whereas thicker impenetrable energy shields held out in front (lorewise: a massive, localized upgrade on the Jackal's shields, or a further development of original Hyena's Volt-based electric shield) would be more fitting than giant slabs of metal - they feel too Grineer to me.

Also a touch upset that it was just another Moa design that was victorious when there were a good number of new Proxy designs up for vote. The Moa's should not be the go-to design for the Corpus, merely ONE of a multitude of designs; also, I feel that the "it bunkers down to hold the Tenno back" idea contradicts with the Moa design, as it is (based on what we've see from them) build around mobility and speed, not heavy defense. Should have gone with a different animal idea for it, imo.

But... well, then I read this:

... Wow... Just... Wow. If you don't know, he's refereed to YandereSamantha's Auxilitrix (if I spelled that correctly) concept, and the way he words it makes it sound like it was a sloot design, and that was the reason it got votes. It was not. It was a conservative design that fit right in line with the rest of the Corpus look and genuinely brought something to the Corpus that they could use - a dedicate support unit that filled a variety of roles, rather than simply shielding them (i.e. Shield Ospreys).

I can live with the winner, it's a decent concept (even if I have my issues with its presentation) and I look forward to it being in game. But the way this man talks about another competitor in a public interview is just shameful. I'll probably get some backlash for this comment, but I don't care:

You did not deserve to win, Volkovyi, if THAT is how you are going to talk about your competition (by which I mean slandering their designs without basis or explanation to back up your words) when you achieve victory.

My apologies if I have upset you, but I disagree that I have slandered anyone. When I gave answers to Sir Adam's my thoughts were not presumptuous or aggressive towards the other submissions. I was tossing around a joke with DE_Adam in private conversation, of which was left out of this official interview. A lot of banter between questions was left off but I assure you I mean no ill will. If you see that I even mentioned 'humorously grumbling to myself' meaning some thoughts I shared between friends as we all anxiously waited to see the winners of the contest, like all the other contestants.

Continuing the thought, Sir Adam was asking about how I personally came up with the design of the Riot Moa in general, not what I thought of the other designs in the competition. The absence of commentary on the other submissions does not mean I harbored ill will against them.

I am not quick to put down others, and never meant to. I encourage you to perhaps re-read my words if they seem conflicting, perhaps you might find what I say isn't at all as harsh as your comments make it out to be, and that the Moa is not as dislocated in the Corpus world.

I am the last person to be made out to be a sore, bloated Winner. On the contrary I left the interview feeling humble, yet honored.

Personally, I still feel as though the Riot Moa's design is TOO mech and not enough Corpus. It lacks the kind of rounded, kinda organic feel the rest of the Corpus proxies have.

I do agree that Riot MOA looks more Orokin-like rather then Corpus. But is this really a problem? Riot MOA looks just fine if you put it next to the Fusion MOA, which is used by Corpus.

DE can also use this for some lore expansion. And more lore is always good.

I'm sort of inclined to agree with Morec0 here, it sounds like you're implying that YS's design only got as far as it did because of the sex appeal, which is disrespectful. 

God, the society these days. Just express your words not clear enough and you are sexiest, racist and "don't deserve".

Please, let me explain you what Riot MOA author meant:

"Cute fragile female support character" archetype is a one of the most appealing to the majority of male gamers, therefore it had a very high chance to win even with less sophisticated concept/design. So he sarcastically asks himself if he should put a pin-ups on his MOA shields.

Unable to comprehend sarcasm and implying that author of Riot MOA wanted to offend author of Auxilitrix is very unsightly in my opinion.

P.S.

I totally wouldn't mind if Auxilitrix would replace current Techs.

Edited by SonicSonedit

I do agree that Riot MOA looks more Orokin-like rather then Corpus. But is this really a problem? Riot MOA looks just fine if you put it next to the Fusion MOA, which is used by Corpus.

DE can also use this for some lore expansion. And more lore is always good.

This may sound arrogant, but sex appeal was a major factor behind Auxilitrix's success. Because "Cute fragile female support character" archetype is a one of the most...appealing to the majority of male gamers.

But I totally wouldn't mind if Auxilitrix would replace current Techs.

Well, it wasn't a factor for me. Like I said multiple times in that thread: I'd have preferred the Hive, Clergyman, or even Attono for shield barriers they'd be able to create for fellow Corpus to hide behind. I even voted against the Aux when it came down to her vs. the Clergy (after that, though, it was the Cargo and... well, we all know the Cargo Moa was useless).

And while there is less of a gap between the Fusion and the Riot than there is between Riot and regular MOAs, I still note the rounded edges and organic-looking design that set the Riot apart from the regular Moa appearance (although, as I stated, the look is not the major issue for me, the fact that is is just another MOA is). This, however, may simply be a difference in art style, I will have to wait for Riot's in-game interpretation on the appearance before I can make any TRUE final judgments.

Well, it wasn't a factor for me. 

Well, that's for you. If you watched the polls you would see that Auxilitrix  won extremely easy against other designs.

This, however, may simply be a difference in art style, I will have to wait for Riot's in-game interpretation on the appearance before I can make any TRUE final judgments.

Yep, DE will probably make it look more MOA-like.

But lets be honest - all current MOA and Drones not just have same "style"...they are mostly same. Fusion MOA just has some armor plates which makes her look more edgy and a drone which makes it look more bulkier. If you remove it - it's the same MOA, different size. Same goes for current Techs. Same goes for Bombard/Napalm, etc, etc, etc. Is this a good thing, really? Don't you think that every type of MOA should look more unique? Take a look at railgun MOA, for example.

Well, that's for you. If you watched the polls you would see that Auxilitrix  won extremely easy against other designs.

Yep, DE will probably make it look more MOA-like.

But lets be honest - all current MOA and Drones not just have same "style"...they are mostly same. Fusion MOA just has some armor plates which makes her look more edgy and a drone which makes it look more bulkier. If you remove it - it's the same MOA, different size. Same goes for current Techs. Same goes for Bombard/Napalm, etc, etc, etc. Is this a good thing, really? Don't you think that every type of MOA should look more unique? Take a look at railgun MOA, for example.

That does NOT mean it's sex appeal (of which there was VERY little in her design) was the cause of it. It was a very good combat design, artwork or not.

As I'll say again: I don't think there should be any more MOAs, new proxies, not new variations. There should, however, be variations in the art, I can agree with that. However, those variations should also comply with the rest of the theme behind the unit - in the case of the Riot Moa the variations need not made it squarer, simply add the shields to it and give it a more heavily armored appearance.  Similar to the Fusion Moa, which, despite your points on it having more armor, retains it's rounded look.

And I'll agree that Railgun Moa could benefit from an alteration - making the gun on the top of it more like a sniper rifle (Snipetron?) would make it unique enough and also comply with it's attack pattern style.

I must agree: this riot-moa is absolutely NOT in the spirit of corpus... at least as I see it.

It's too bulky, too "metal gear" to fit in the corpus forces. Same for the whole "metal pannels" thing.

I hope the designers will adapt it.

Edited by Marnus

Congrats Volkovyi, both your concept and art are superb :)

Although, I wouldn't mind new Corpus unit design straying away from the MOA family, especially when we have unique designs such as Jackal, Hyenas, and Zanuka.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the Corpus finally have a proper heavy unit!

sexy corpus girls :D

Or circuit boards. Who knows? The future is weird.

I must agree: this riot-moa is absolutely NOT in the spirit of corpus... at least as I see it.

It's too bulky, too "metal gear" to fit in the corpus forces. Same for the whole "metal pannels" thing.

I hope the designers will adapt it.

Yeah, maybe have volt shields on its legs instead?

What was once excitement for this community project has now died down to nothing but disappointment for me. Doesn't seem right that two more-or-less popular people have gotten their submissions picked with little to no competion; kind of bothers me. I'm not necessarily angry or anything, it just doesn't seem right, and as well I'm not much of a fan of the Juggernaut or this Riot Moa. Whatever DE and the Design Council has seen in these, if they are truly unbiased, I just don't get.

Guess I'll have to check back in a week to see which Grineer unit makes it.