Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Prime Anonymous

[DE]Momaw

Hi. My name is Momaw. And... I'm an Orthos Prime user.

I used to be different. When I was young I would go out on the town. Tried to like the Galatine but for all its power it just felt so clumsy.  Tried the Zoren but the animations to copter were weird and the lackluster performance of crit mods for melee made it an unreliable choice for damage.  Then I found the Dakra Prime and was smitten. It was a great looking sword but it had so much more than looks, with high damage, multi-hit potential, and the unhampered mobility that longswords in general have. We settled down and had a wonderful relationship for a months.

But then... Then I found Orthos Prime.

It started so innocently. I needed to get it for mastery ranks. When I finally got all the parts to complete it after incredible amounts of effort, I grimly determined to get every scrap of use out of the thing to justify the time investment. I... savaged her. But she never complained. Dakra knew what was going on. How could she not, when I spent so little time with her? But Orthos Prime had the damage, the mobility, the multi-hits, plus phenomenal reach that made melee with her not so much a chore as a joyous whirlwind explosion of body parts.

And now... Now I can't seem to tear myself away from Orthos Prime. My relationship with Dakra is dead and dust. I spend time with other melee weapons just to try and convince myself that I have some kind of choice in life, but Orthos Prime is always there quietly smirking and knowing she'll be back in my arms the next day.

I just don't know where to go from here. :(

I myself have a healthy relationship with both my Dakra Prime and Orthos Prime, what keeps me from overcommiting to either weapon is their incredible performance in their own niches without interfering with each other.

The Dakra (with Crimson Dervish of course) is the heavybane, with stagger-resistant slashes that no Grineer Heavy or Ancient can stop once in motion, and quick spin attacks to allow you to dart from one target to the next in an instant. And nothing is more satisfying than coptering across the room to drop down on top of your next unsuspecting victim, skewering them with a critical headshot (headstab?).

The Orthos is the horde slayer, with huge range on its quick multiple hits, allowing you to rack combos up quickly and with ease. The large range of the slam attacks allows you in incapacitate large groups of enemies to leisurely spin through them afterwards. Slicing through three or more enemies in a single slash is a wonderful sight.

My point here being no weapon is perfect, they all have something to bring to the table, your job here as their partner is to make sure you realize what they're for and use them as such.

I was in the same boat as you, Orthos Prime and I shared many an adventure together.. however, this new kid on the block, Serro, came on like a lightning storm, what with its unique look and base way of doing things.. we started slowly, getting familiar with one another, and before I knew it, I was all about Serro with its higher reach and ability to zap things on a whim.. I still keep in touch with Orthos Prime, but I have moved on.

But Boar Prime is a homewrecker.

this new kid on the block, Serro

There's no denying Serro's skill as an instrument of death but she's kind of too punk for me. The things she wears, and those strange piercings...  I like a weapon that combines proficiency with elegance.

The only thing I regret it's not being able to bring 3 melee weapons instead of one rifle and one secondary...

Picture, if you can:

Scoliac for coptering and choking stealth attacks. 

Orthos P for everything that isn't ferrite armor. 

Dakra P with Iron Phoenix for ferrite armor and general hack and slash.

house-do-want.jpg

I used to rok the golden kayak paddle of death (After all the hard work I put into getting it because chat decided to ignore me... @(*()$ wankers...) but I've since moved up to the D. Nikana. Not for any reason other than that it is a sword. Worn on the hip. Like it ought to be.

I'd use the Dakra more if it had the Nikana animations and stances, because I feel that the Dakra (NOT the Nikana) is better suited to those types of attacks.