Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tired Of Endless Slaughter?

SlyBoots

as it stands to reasonably level and relevel the vast amount of weapons and frames and whatnot there's really only mobile defense, endless defense, survival and interception (and all other wave/swarm modes to be added). that's where people farm mods and resources as well - so just about everything that's relevant for progression in this game amounts to us mowing down an endless supply of enemies. it's been like this ever since it had been decided progression was to be about farming or "collecting"...

...and that can work to an extend but this decision kicked all other mission types in the unmentionables, and hard. i actually want to play missions where the objective matters - and endless defense certainly is _not_ primarily about the pod. but at the same time i don't want to be horribly inefficient in terms of getting experience and/or mods/resources. we really really need some decent rewards for capture, deception, spy, sabotage, rescue and whatever i've missed to list. actually now that i think about it, this issue seems so glaring that i don't understand how it could and can go unaddressed for this long.

a start would be to reward experience for actually completing objectives, additional mods and resources for stealth runs, expanding upon the challenge system, stuff like that. a system where you could set your own challenges to get certain exp/mod/resources rewards could work.

edit: hope that new title is more catchy... :D

Edited by SlyBoots

c'mon, people must be tired of endless waves. waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves... are we not drowning in enemies? wouldn't anyone get fed up of even the best gameplay mechanics if it came wrapped in this kind of constant sameness?

i mean we got reworked rescue missions and they are decent enough from a gameplay perspective but what failed to materialize? decent exp/mod/resource rewards - instead we got dumb disposable sidekicks to provide distraction for endless wave modes...

After a long day horde-modes are the best remedy for me since...well I enjoy senseless murder. It does the mind and body good seeing the dismemberment of a 'baddie' over and over again at the hands of the player-character. Having gamemodes that heavily rely on the performance of the player/s puts too much strain on the mind since...well no one really likes placing their confidence into strangers and no one really likes hoping for lucky maps/spawns and no one likes bugs within the core mechanics that may or may not occur.

As much as I would like to have 'new' mechanics stuffed into the game as new gamemodes...I would always enjoy Survival the most...The only thing that would ever beat Survival would be..an actual survival Survival(screw getting life-support, give me a gladiatorial arena and give me wave after wave of 'mooks' with a mini boss-rush and have the only end to it being a mission failure upon death. I need no mods nor experience...I want to last as long as the high of adrenaline will take me and die a death that a being wrapped in metal flesh deserves!)

I agree that it's very sad that gamemodes like capture, exterminate and the like do not reward you half as well as Survivals and Defense missions. Especially because I enjoy Stealth gameplay, and it is simply not an option in Survival/Defense.

It's almost like being punished for favoring Stealth gameplay.

I'm not sure what could really be done to improve them, but I hope DE will give it some consideration.

Edited by Soldatto

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

oh, looksie, people complained about endless modes before it was cool. :D (please don't hold this against me, i couldn't resist.)

again DE, start making the regular modes, everything that is not endless/horde mode, at least a teeny tiny bit better in terms of getting experience/mods/resources/standing and the game will be better for it, the community less toxic. it's really that simple: big reward buckets for completing objectives, killing bosses, maybe add eximi carefully approaching stalker level power to increase the challenge here and there. BAM! done.

it's ludicrous that bosses still drop only one mod just like lowly crewmen, compare your reward system to any other loot-based game, you won't find a boss that drops only a single item, period (fingers crossed XD), instead they shower you in loot.

edit: f***, that's what you get for posting in the right subforum...

Edited by SlyBoots

Agreed more affinity from objectives and maybe a stealth bonus (complete the mission without the alarm being activated once)

Allso a "personal task manager" --- First chose what to do; kill, scan, find etc. then what it is; name of enemy, item, mod, material etc. and last how much. example; i need Rubedo so i make a personal task "find rubedo 0 / 250", it wil then show somewhere on the HUD along with other objectives. if i don't find enough the first time, the task stay untill deleted or completed. (there is of course no reward when completed)

(i would say a maximum of 3 personal tasks active at once is the best)

Handy if you need to collect materials or something, make the system keep track of it for you.

"maybe a stealth bones"? no, definitely a stealth bonus, a big one. slaughtering the ever spawning enemies nets rewards enough, stealthily finishing missions should add another big reward bucket for the tenno. personal tasks sounds like a very good idea as well, maybe difficult to execute in a full squad but certainly something to pursue instead of everything relying on randomization.

Edited by SlyBoots

I have been thinking about it, and well Warframe does boil down to just shoot everything which can get dull.  Some things could be done that might spark up a lot of the missions.  Roughly making them missions in ways.  At the basic form that they are, they are good, but they could be better.

One of my primary examples would be to change out exterminate for a mission where your goal is to cause forces to be redirected to your location.  Making an appearance is the most basic success and deserves a minimal reward while going around destroying things, stealing data, and making a mess could earn a larger reward.  Of course doing a lot of the same stealthily and adding in some extra hacking and other details would cause the largest redirection of forces and get the biggest reward.

It's a slightly more complex mission that doesn't require doing everything, but will allow any player to get some reward, but a good team can do the same mission for a better reward because they will do more.  Getting more for doing more as well as feeling like you have a real objective could truly change the missions we are doing so often.

Edited by JHarlequin

It's almost like being punished for favoring Stealth gameplay.

Only almost? You are being punished for stealthing a mission. At the moment, everything relies on kills - XP, mods, resources, money. So if you stealth a capture and manage only to kill the target and maybe one other guy who saw you, you get little to nothing.

Other games, like Payday 2, give you a bonus if you manage to stealth a mission. And some missions there get downright impossible if you don't stealth them. Imagine Capture targets would pack their stuff and run off as soon as you trip the alarm three or less tiles away from them. Or computer terminals (spy) being locked down if the ship is on alert and mission rewards depending on the number of datamasses you can bring (e.g. each datamass giving a considerable amount of money, 2-3 mods and a couple resources).

Edited by Bibliothekar

Only almost? You are being punished for stealthing a mission. At the moment, everything relies on kills - XP, mods, resources, money. So if you stealth a capture and manage only to kill the target and maybe one other guy who saw you, you get little to nothing.

Other games, like Payday 2, give you a bonus if you manage to stealth a mission. And some missions there get downright impossible if you don't stealth them. Imagine Capture targets would pack their stuff and run off as soon as you trip the alarm three or less tiles away from them. Or computer terminals (spy) being locked down if the ship is on alert and mission rewards depending on the number of datamasses you can bring (e.g. each datamass giving a considerable amount of money, 2-3 mods and a couple resources).

YES thank you. payday 2 is a PERFECT example of this. stealth should be rewarded. ARE WE NOT NINJAS IN SPACE!?!

ninjas only killed as a LAST RESORT.  so yes. PERSONALLY. i think there should bea  HUGE multiplyer( likeon melee) for stealth kills. and even more for melee ( becuase you gotta get close) and blah de blah.

we need a shadow raid mission for warframe.....or just change the capture (  yeah if you get caught busting him out you should FAIL) or sabotage you SHOULD be stealthy but  wont exactly require it. or spy which you could dress up like a grineer or so (? idk) and trick them and deceive them

so many ideas...but DE wants to turn it into a f*cknig grindfest and not impliment GOOD material :/ itll probly never happen

oh man, for how wonky enemy detection can be stealth should be rewarded big time. saw a post in another thread where someone got as much as 88 standing for a high level exterminate mission - with booster. the reward balance between endless horde modes and objecitve based missions is just so completely thourougly out-and-out botched...

Edited by SlyBoots

saw a post in another thread where someone got as much as 88 standing for a high level exterminate mission - with booster.

I just did the extermination on Everest (Earth) - had 38 enemies and got 57 standing, with booster, affinity orbs, my Kurbow opening almost every single locker, all Feral Kubrows dead ... It's like a bad joke.

That's true, every node that isn't an endless one got players who need to :

- farm for a frame component(assassination)

- complete the star-chart(sabotage,spy,deception)

- end of the list.

And that's it, they're gone and probably won't come back to these nodes! There's a problem here.

Response to title: Not really, I mainly use Warframe as a stress relief device (and because I like the game in general). Being able to slaughter hundreds of enemies is so satisfying (even more when you use a melee weapon), so to me anyway being able to commit mass unprejudiced genocide while leveling MR fodder never gets old (ok it does, but only if I do it too much).

Response to non endless mission suggestions: As long as we're not forced to play a specific play style stealthy or action hero, I still don't think that many people would play them. Reasons? Warframe is a progression based game, any game with a progression system will always have an efficient and non-efficient way to do things. My point is that someone doing a stealth mission that takes 15-20 minutes with 2-3x the normal rewards will still be behind someone running and gunning a mission in less than 5 minutes (this does not include endless missions).

c'mon, people must be tired of endless waves. waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves and waves... are we not drowning in enemies? wouldn't anyone get fed up of even the best gameplay mechanics if it came wrapped in this kind of constant sameness?

i mean we got reworked rescue missions and they are decent enough from a gameplay perspective but what failed to materialize? decent exp/mod/resource rewards - instead we got dumb disposable sidekicks to provide distraction for endless wave modes...

I'm an old Borderlands player. I'm also an old, Borderlands player. When you get tired of endless slaughter you have to ... you know, you have to ... I have no idea actually.

Answer is "no" then.

EDIT: DE made Unreal Tournament, did they not? I had even written a Perl script to automate entire presets of gamemodes+mutators by sending manually crafted text strings as a web page request, because doing that way automatically transported all the players in game without kicking anyone off the dedicated server session.

Low Gravity InstaGib Assault missions on the Submarine map for the win.

... so when are we getting more Mutators? I want.

This whole thing is something I've thought about recently. Whenever I get tired of grinding the endless mission types, I go and try to have a good time soloing the other mission types like exterminate and sabotage etc. I take my time and maybe try to stealth a bit, and I even explore sometimes. It feels like a different game, and it breaks the monotony of endless missions.

But the thing is: doing this is ridiculously unrewarding as it only gives me a tiny fraction of the xp, a tiny fraction of the loot, a tiny fraction of the rep, etc. I know they added those rare containers which could help give players an incentive to do missions like this, but now we realize they're so rare nobody takes the time to look for them.

I wish they could come up with a way to reward players for doing these mission types, and in a way that they can't just speedrun it which I understand is what makes it hard to balance.

When you get tired of endless slaughter you have to ... you know, you have to ... I have no idea actually.

:P

I wish they could come up with a way to reward players for doing these mission types, and in a way that they can't just speedrun it which I understand is what makes it hard to balance.

yep, this would definitely be something to keep in mind. it would have to be objectives of sorts, i mean, the question DE needs to ask is: what else takes time/effort in gameplay aside from killing waves of enemies?

Warframe is a progression based game, any game with a progression system will always have an efficient and non-efficient way to do things.

exactly, just close the gap between the efficient and inefficient way a bit and we're golden.

Edited by SlyBoots

• 4 weeks later...

...and that can work to an extend but this decision kicked all other mission types in the unmentionables, and hard. i actually want to play missions where the objective matters 

<walks in wide eyed covered in grineer guts - removing an intestine from his shoulder>   @.@  there are other mission types besides def and surv? personally I am sick to death of this bittersweet relationship with warframe. I would love some substance to this universe and its missions.

I'm of the standing that stealth should be part of the game (disclosure, I play qutie a few games with stealth),  the functionality is there if a little wonky and although I love emptying my Furis' into a wave of what I'm fighting today, Stealth would increase the life of the game through more playstyles.  I always saw the Tenno saw a 'dying race' point of view and they need to cause as much damage as possible for as little cost as possible which would encourage stealth.

But going back to the orginal point, At the moment,I destroy the reactor, I capture the target or whatever, what to I get, 400-500 affinity a standard soilder what 50 to 79 even if we say 20 that 25 basic trooper for the objective that you would get anyway.  Why not (strange idea warning) if the objective it completed without the alarm been raised we have a random bonus (rare resource - blueprint for faction weapon - free codex scans - more credits) to show the skill of this/these Tenno? or however different objectives on level, i.e. cache but they are locked off if conditions as breached

I get a little tried of running & gunning or just running through level as I fell behind the guy packing enough firepower to crack open a planet.  The game lends itself to stealth but loses it's grasp as the current enemy setup can't handle it.

Endless slaughter is why I'm here.

For a long time DE seemed afraid of letting us slaughter too many enemies at once. But now with Interception and Excavation, we have missions that can potantially throw vast hordes at us. And I love it.