June 6Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

PS4 Update 13.3

The PS4 build will deploy this coming Tuesday, June 10th! You can expect everything from 13.0.7.1  to 13.3.1. One major improvement this update brings to the PS4 is improved load times! 

Enemy AI

AI has been a hot topic for awhile, and this week’s Devstream has some enlightening info! Enemy variety, difficulty and intelligence is one of the most common topics with our community. Check it out to hear about some exciting improvements and things coming in this department! 

Chat PS4 & PC

Both PS4 and PC players have been requesting some improvements to the in-game chat, like the ability to initiate chat directly from the chat box, rather than having to scroll and find the player’s name or type a command. A search function is another suggestion that would help alleviate the difficulty in messaging a specific player. Your feedback has been passed along to the UI team! 

Exclusives Gear

A significant number of threads have been popping up over the past week about exclusives in Warframe. For the sake of clarity:

We have no active plans to re-release any of the exclusive founders gear.

However, constructive discussions about the future of other exclusive items are welcome and appreciated. If there are some event mods or weapons that you’d like to see return, feel free to discuss how and why you’d like to see them return. If you do not want to see these exclusives return, that’s also understandable, but please be respectful of those players who want to discuss exclusives in a productive way.   

Posting Leaks and Datamined Information

With the new Prime Access releasing soon, rumors, leaks, and speculation have been appearing throughout the forums. Please, remember that posting leaked and datamined information on these forums is a violation of our Community Rules. If you see information that looks like a leak, please report it using the report button. If you have leaked information, do not post it. Nothing is certain until it is certain, so we want to keep leaked information under control and spend more time talking about current items instead of rumors. 

Still Hot:Codex Art Contest

Here’s your chance to get your beautiful art added to the Codex! Create some original art based on the following theme:

“A Tenno Awoken- You've finally been called to the fight. Are you prepared? Have you awoken in a free-fall state, or do you open your eyes to the burning sun surrounded by forests? Are you face-to-face with an enemy, or among your fellow comrades? You decide!”

Visit the Codex Art Contest thread for further details. Contest closes June 12th!

Still Hot: Enemies Of The Tenno Design Project

Grineer Winner:

Manic Grineer (Kadabura)

Name Suggestion: Manic Grineer

Behaviour:

Manic Grineers are unusually aggressive melee soldiers who act solo, dropping down from above to ambush their prey. Subsequential clonings have weathered the minds of these Grineer variants down, causing them to attack relentlessly with no sense of self-preservation. However their ties of camaraderie seem strong as they wear the masks of their fallen clone brothers on their backs, and perhaps if the Manic is lucky enough, the helm of a fallen Tenno target. Their high attack and speed make up for low shield and armor, and while they shouldn't pose too much of a threat to a composed player or group, an unsuspecting Tenno may be in for a bad time if caught off guard.

Attacks:

Ground Pound: similar to a Tenno's, will stagger/knockdown players if Manic Grineer lands on/near them when falling from above (one time attack when spawning)

Charge: the Manic Grineer will charge straight to a selected player, knocking them over and clawing at them until the Manic's shield is broken to knock them off. Knocked down players can still shoot secondary weapon as if they were bleeding out, but will not need to be revived once the Manic has been pushed off, so the enemy type can still be in solo runs. If the player is quick enough, the Charge attack can be avoided.

Attacks mainly with hand/fist melee weapon if not Charging.

(After re-reading this, I realized the attacks are kind of like the Charger + Hunter from L4D meets stealth guy from Payday 2, hah!)

Environment restrictions:

Only appears where there is overhead space to drop down from (like a hangar); not in hallways or singular rooms.  

Art:

ew80Pv9.png

Read our interview with Kadabura here.

Wonder how the other winners are progressing? You can check out some work on the infested winner (Juggernaut) and the corpus winner (Riot Moa) in this week’s Devstream!

[Did I miss something important this week? Post a reply with links to threads you think are Hot Topics!]

Referring to the Founders, "No active plans" and "We're not going to" can be very different. Previous statements have been more along the lines of the latter, as a definite, "we will not be releasing founders items again". My understanding was that founders exclusives were not coming back, period. If this has changed, just come out and explicitly say so. If not, just say they will remain exclusive. Deal with the consequences of your decision instead of continuing to act indecisive, because all that statement is telling me is "we're gonna keep being indecisive about this stuff because we don't wanna &!$$ anyone off because of a decision/promise we made and reiterated several times."

What of exclusives that are not tied to an event, like the Braton and Lato Vandal?

An edit I made:

EDIT: Console folks were never able to get into Founder's Program nor to the Braton/Lato Vandal. I can't comment on how I feel about this at the time, but  I firmly believe that no one, and absolutely NO ONE, can enter, or change their status, in the founder's program on PC. To do so would be to ruin what the program stood for, and even if the sun was to implode ("or something"), I do not want to see Founders 2.0 on PC. I also don't want Braton/Lato Vandal on console, because those are attached to the closed beta. 

I understand that is just my opinion, and that my view as a closed beta player and a Master Founder (2nd highest tier) may be biased, but I still firmly believe that what I've said is the most logical, and morally sound, actions. Feel free to respond if you disagree (make sure to cut because this is a long post because I'm boiling right now).

Also, I just made this because I noticed something in the Rebirth trailer for E3 2014. I'll just leave it here and get out, because I'm the one that's about the @(*()$ IMPLODE
bXtUUu3.png

Additionally, about the AI. More enemy types with new mechanics is good and all, but at the end of the day, we can still very easily kill them. All it does is shift priorities depending on which is most dangerous based on how annoying it can be. Even the inclusion of support units, like a lot of people in the contests were making, will just make a shift in priorities.

At this point, all enemies essentially try to swarm you, like the infested. It's just that the Grineer and Corpus are slower, and they do damage as they come at you. A damage increase won't fix this. A health/armor increase won't fix this, because no matter how big it gets, or how hard it hits, it's still the same thing.

Basically, change how the enemies act.

Make the pathing for finding cover better.

- Make them NOT run towards a Vortex just because their melee (I mean, seriously?), make them try to avoid Teslas, Primed teammates, and all that.

- Make them move around their comrades and mobile cover like Volt's shield.

- Make them shoot more accurately.

- Make them shoot, appropriately (ie. what's the point of coming out of cover and shooting at a Tenno that's hiding behind cover? Seriously?)

- Corpus crewmen should value their lives more, and have more proxies. 

- Have squads, platoons, battalions of these grineer and crewmen/robotics attacking us. Horde rush is fine with infested, but I expect more from a highly trained militaristic empire.

EDIT: Look at the spoiler. Look at the image. I obviously did some crap paint additions, but @(*()$ look at it. Go watch the actual trailer. It's on youtube. I'm done. I'm the one that's about to implode. GG DE. @(*()$ GG.

Edited by michaelwii

Still Hot: Enemies Of The Tenno Design Project
Grineer Winner:
Manic Grineer (Kadabura)
Name Suggestion: Manic Grineer

Behaviour:
Manic Grineers are unusually aggressive melee soldiers who act solo, dropping down from above to ambush their prey. Subsequential clonings have weathered the minds of these Grineer variants down, causing them to attack relentlessly with no sense of self-preservation. However their ties of camaraderie seem strong as they wear the masks of their fallen clone brothers on their backs, and perhaps if the Manic is lucky enough, the helm of a fallen Tenno target. Their high attack and speed make up for low shield and armor, and while they shouldn't pose too much of a threat to a composed player or group, an unsuspecting Tenno may be in for a bad time if caught off guard.

Attacks:
Ground Pound: similar to a Tenno's, will stagger/knockdown players if Manic Grineer lands on/near them when falling from above (one time attack when spawning)

<snip>

Attacks mainly with hand/fist melee weapon if not Charging.

(After re-reading this, I realized the attacks are kind of like the Charger + Hunter from L4D meets stealth guy from Payday 2, hah!)

*edit: after re-reading this I realized you came to this realization before I did...and now I'm a sad panda

Environment restrictions:
Only appears where there is overhead space to drop down from (like a hangar); not in hallways or singular rooms.  

Reminds me of a Warframe version of the Cloaker from the Payday (cops and robbers) game.

Even the description of how the enemy will operate is similar..

For your reference: http://payday.wikia.com/wiki/Cloaker_%28Payday_2%29

law_cloaker-220x.jpgew80Pv9.png

Even kinda looks the same...in a Warframe Grineer way...

*edit:<snip> (removed all kinds of horrible words and selfies for the sake of coherency)

Keep up the great work guys!

(take it for what it is, I can't wait to kill this enemy..and watch people complain about it being bad. Hopefully it is just as lethal as the cloakers are in Payday)

Edited by 2ply

I felt the reply to the "Forget Better AI - We Need Better Dumb Enemies" (aka better enemy mechanics to improve survivability) thread was thoughtful, but incomplete.

Daniel and co certainly seemed to understand the concept that AI won't matter if your enemy is dead instantly, but offered little recourse other than an explanation that Tenno are very powerful thus hard to balance against.

The concept of the thread is that DE should introduce simple defensive mechanics to certain enemies (aka shield lancer) of each faction, to create more engaging combat situations which we can overcome with a tiiiny amout of skill/attention/tactics.

He also provided a reference to the Prosecutors RNG defense, which is not a successful mechanic to make combat more engaging. Pre-misson loadout? Sure. Combat? Not really.

The stream then went on to show a plethora of very interesting enemies, all of which will be evaporated by a single press of 4.

On a positive note, I thought many of the new offensive powers of the enemies were quite interesting, if they gain appropriate telegraphs (shield ignoring AoE poison clouds without warning, anyone?)

All in all, I respect the effort, see it as a step forward, but would really have liked someone to acknowledge that

"yes, there should be some situations where 4 doesn't solve all your problems and you have to think for a second".

Edited by notionphil

Frankly, I think the issue with the Founders packs isn't really that they are exclusive now, cause every game has exclusives. It's the fact that it's Excalibur Prime. Excalibur is the face of this game, and you are locking him to a small set of your total population. I could care less about the Lato and Skana, but please, maybe after a year and a half or so, release Excalibur Prime into the void

Exclusives Gear
A significant number of threads have been popping up over the past week about exclusives in Warframe. For the sake of clarity:

However, constructive discussions about the future of other exclusive items are welcome and appreciated. If there are some event mods or weapons that you’d like to see return, feel free to discuss how and why you’d like to see them return. If you do not want to see these exclusives return, that’s also understandable, but please be respectful of those players who want to discuss exclusives in a productive way.   

Could you stop beating around the bush and just state no already? Based on your past responses it's clear that's what you actually want to say but you're trying to appeal to everyone and it's evident that isn't working at all.

It's responses like these which keep producing thread after thread, usually ending in the same result.

For lack of a better way of putting it - man up and actually make a statement about it rather than dancing around it.

Edited by Naith

My suggestion is if you don't want idle speculation, leaked information, or datamined information, then be more forthcoming with information then people will have no reason to speculate or datamine.

Agreed.

yes, and speaking of the Suspicious Shipments, because of how the Lotus' message was worded many, including myself, thought the resolution to those Suspicious Shipments was to be on Wednesday, since it is a update after all, I know there were many who were disappointed about there being no big ending to that event. Don't get me wrong all the loot that was acquired was great, but it sort of was like watching a episode with a cliff hanger, then finding out the program was cancelled after that episode.

Frankly, I think the issue with the Founders packs isn't really that they are exclusive now, cause every game has exclusives. It's the fact that it's Excalibur Prime. Excalibur is the face of this game, and you are locking him to a small set of your total population. I could care less about the Lato and Skana, but please, maybe after a year and a half or so, release Excalibur Prime into the void

If you don't care about the two weapons given, then why would we?  I barely use my Skana Prime, and I didn't care for the Lato (hence why I'm not a grand master).  You're right, Excalibur IS the face of Warframe, but that also means those who helped found it should get to display a (albeit subjectively) better version of it.  Not only that, but if Lato/Skana are the two things players may not find worth keeping, then why take away the one thing that (in some players' minds) was worth the money spent on being a founder?

As Naith said, DE has said before and has continued to (dance around the fact, but still) say that they will not be releasing Founder's exclusive items to the public.  It was part of what players paid for, exclusive gear.  You turn back on that, and you're turning down a written agreement that you have made with your playerbase.  As much as some players may or may not want these to be released, they can't and they won't.

Another week with only clan tech market where patch day was meaningless and we won't have the weapon until Sunday or Monday unless we shell out for it...

Please reserve those clan tech / market releases for weeks when you also put something in to do on patch day, consider reducing the cook time like Scott said, and space them out so we're not seeing repeated disappointment with no weapon followed by clan tech weapon, or multiple clan tech weapons in a row.

I could go on, but I feel like I'm the only one who cares.

Edited by VKhaun

no

Exclusives Gear

If you want to release exclusive stuff release exclusive stuff. Stop being afraid for a section of the players complaining about it. There are endless games out there that do this, i dont even know why this is a discussion here.

Referring to the Founders, "No active plans" and "We're not going to" can be very different. Previous statements have been more along the lines of the latter, as a definite, "we will not be releasing founders items again".

What of exclusives that are not tied to an event, like the Braton and Lato Vandal?

i would love those to be exclusive for CBT players but if DE is going to release them i recommend giving them when warframe exits beta and goes into officially done mode.

the exclusive things I want to see return right now are the cicero and tethra event mods. These mods are highly sought after and sell for huge amounts of platinum on the market and it shouldn't be like that the cicero set is usually sold for 800-1000 platinum and that is insane. Maybe you could do mini-versions of the events at a later time where you repeat the mission in a shortened way or something like that. Make it like a weekend long event from friday to sunday so players who didn't play warframe yet at that time get a second shot at these mods

Could you stop beating around the bush and just state no already? Based on your past responses it's clear that's what you actually want to say but you're trying to appeal to everyone and it's evident that isn't working at all.

It's responses like these which keep producing thread after thread, usually ending in the same result.

For lack of a better way of putting it - man up and actually make a statement about it rather than dancing around it.

See, the difference is clear. From Software had no plans to port Dark Souls to PC. Bioware had no plans to release Mass Effect 1 on PS3.

That changed.

God of War and Demon's Souls will never be released on non-Sony platform and Gears of War will never appear on Microsoft platform.

Now, this is what's happening:

They never offered founders pack on Playstation Store. They had ample time to do so but never did. And they stopped selling it 2 weeks before PS4 launch. So forget the name, this has nothing to do with Founding. It's an exclusive DLC. What they did was an is inexcusable. And they bloody well know it, hence they promised PS4 exclusive items to make up for it. See, lots of paying players WILL leave if they don't bring the founders pack back (or it's contents) or compensate it's absence in another way.

Let me ask this of devs: Will Founders exclusives never be available to PS4 players via any means such as finally releasing Founders pack on PS store, adding them to void, adding them to another prime access pack etc. OR you merely don't have any active plans to release them at the moment (since you haven't decided how to best handle it etc.)? I DARE you to directly answer this question. Former or latter. Then put this in official FAQ.

As for why that's an issue no game locks core content as permanently exclusive. There's a reason why LoL never locked an actual champion as exclusive, why WoW never locked any gender of any race as exclusive. Something like Proto Excalibur being exclusive is ok. Excalibur Prime or Lato Prime being exclusive is not.

I dare developers to directly answer my question above. And know this, PC elitists: if they don't, then the latter part of question is true. I personally never use Excalibur in the void as I tend to bring in prime warframes only to get energy from traps. Mostly rhino prime or mag prime.

P.S. Rumors are next prime access on PS4 has exclusive scarf, color me interested.

Edited by (PS4)Lord_Gremlin

Exclusives Gear

But does this mean there are any active plans to re-release the exclusive, non-founders' gear? Will the "vanilla" weapons (Ether Daggers, Machete, Boar, Snipetron, Gorgon) which have been pulled from the conventional means of acquisition be reintegrated?

I imagine butts would be hurt (however unreasonably) if the Wraith and Vandal weapons recycled, which despite myself I understand and sympathize, but I've yet to hear a compelling argument to maintain exclusivity on the aforementioned. It's not really hurting us high-level players, it's just denying a potential favorite gun to a new player, and imposing further limitation as far as filling out the remaining mastery ranks goes. While the prime/wraith/vandal/dual scheme helps squeeze more mastery XP out of less developer initiative (for example, Bronco, Akbronco, Bronco Prime, Akbronco Prime), we still don't have half of the necessary content to reach rank 30, and there also needs to be enough publicly accessible content for everyone to reach rank 30 when that day comes, not just founders who have also dutifully gathered all the event-exclusive weapons.

snippity snip

Jesus, calm down dude.  I also doubt a "lot" of players would leave over that.  More like, a very small subset of PS4 players with plenty of cash laying around, and then an even smaller subset of players within that group that are extreme completionists who refuse to play a game unless they can literally have EVERYTHING in the game.

Actually, they kind of did have an event tied to them, though not in the sense of lore. The Braton Vandal was a two day limited closed Beta open weekend item, sold on the in-game Marketplace for one credit, and the Lato Vandal was a closed Beta participation reward.