Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Innate Punch Through Mechanic

Kashiki

The things suggested here are all the idea of RazorNovah22, a member in the clan I'm a part of.

aVwzvXo.png

So, his idea, which is pretty much summed up in the chat, is that Punch Through should be innate on weapons with 100+ Puncture damage. Since Puncture damage is all about piercing the armor of an enemy, and piercing rounds are realistically made to puncture the body, a significantly powerful one should have the capability of puncturing through objects.

The proposition was that for every 100 Puncture Damage that your gun has while viewing its stats after modding, it will have an innate .1m punch through. This means that for weapons with 200 Puncture, there will be a .2m punch through and for things with 1000, there is a 1m.

I thought that this was an amazing idea, simply because it not only alleviates the need to polarize for the very expensive punch through mods on your high puncture weaponry unless you want to maximize said punch through. There are many weapons with high enough puncture that they could benefit greatly from this mechanic. Things like the Akbolto, Paris/Paris Prime, and Latron/Latron Prime would enjoy the ability to puncture through terrain.

Innate Punch Through via Puncture damage doesn't make Punch Through mods useless. I'll take something like the Latron Prime into account via the use of WF Builder (since I still need to claim mine).

LsT2GmS.png

This is utilizing the following maxed-out mods: Serration, Heavy Caliber, Piercing Hit, and Split Chamber. Because these all contribute to your immediate damage numbers (IE: the IPS numbers shown in your arsenal), critical hits are not taken into effect because they are simply chance modifiers for more damage - Split Chamber could be considered the same thing, but that can be fleshed out later.

According to this, the use of Latron Prime's immediate damage would give it .7m of Punch Through. This is an extreme example, since Latron Prime has some absolutely crazy amounts of Puncture damage. However, that would only give you enough strength to punch through one or two enemies, if they are bipedal. If they're quadrupedal, forget about it.

You could even tweak the numbers a bit so that you get 0.2m for every 150 Puncture damage. Every 300 Puncture Damage is 0.4m.

In conclusion, Razor thinks that a weapon with high enough puncture capability should have innate Punch Through that allows them to, you know, Puncture. This was totally spur of the moment, so a lot of it may not be fleshed out; that's where you guys come in. :3

- Kashiki

Edited by Kashiki

This is all well and good, but what about the other 2 physical damage types then?

I think it'd just be better if they replaced puncture procs with punch through scaling up to the puncture damage.

This topic isn't geared toward the other two; there can be other separate mechanics for them. This isn't even my idea, I'm just articulating it.

Yes, that could be all well and good, but Puncture proc is about the lowering of armor. Punch through on an enemy happens once an enemy is killed, iirc. Puncture proc helps with killing an enemy, while Punch through activates when they are dead.

Lanka and the Bow weapons would no longer be unique.

The OP explicitly states that weapons with high puncture damage capabilities deserve some punch through. The Lanka and bows have much larger innate punch through anyways; no weapon in this game would reach 5m with just immediate Puncture damage alone.

Edited by Kashiki

Well... Considering that Puncture is ALREADY considered the best physical damage type in the game, due to being strong against Grineer with only minor downsides (15% less to Shield and 50% less to the very uncommon Proto-Shield)

Also, alleviating the need to use Punch Through mods gives up one of the precious few choices in building a weapon - That choice of "Do I want more damage or do I want some Punch Through?" - Being given free reign to build pure damage and essentially getting 11/15 free mod points just limits any sort of customization of weapons by making the only logical choice to go balls to the wall damage increase.

Not to mention it's mostly a buff to specific high puncture weapons (Like Boltor, Bolto, Paris etc) which have pseudo infinite punch through from ragdolling due to their projectiles - Heck, the Paris/Paris Prime already has innate punch through as standard (As do all bows).

So... Yeah, my opinion is that it's an unnecessary buff that would further reduce customization by removing one of the few choices people have when building specific high puncture weapons.

If any physical damage needed additional effects, it's Impact - It's bonus of +50% to shields and +15% to the uncommon Proto-Shields by far does not counteract the -25% damage to flesh (Half of Corpus) and -25% to cloned flesh (ALL Grineer)

Well... Considering that Puncture is ALREADY considered the best physical damage type in the game, due to being strong against Grineer with only minor downsides (15% less to Shield and 50% less to the very uncommon Proto-Shield)

Also, alleviating the need to use Punch Through mods gives up one of the precious few choices in building a weapon - That choice of "Do I want more damage or do I want some Punch Through?" - Being given free reign to build pure damage and essentially getting 11/15 free mod points just limits any sort of customization of weapons by making the only logical choice to go balls to the wall damage increase.

Not to mention it's mostly a buff to specific high puncture weapons (Like Boltor, Bolto, Paris etc) which have pseudo infinite punch through from ragdolling due to their projectiles - Heck, the Paris/Paris Prime already has innate punch through as standard (As do all bows).

So... Yeah, my opinion is that it's an unnecessary buff that would further reduce customization by removing one of the few choices people have when building specific high puncture weapons.

If any physical damage needed additional effects, it's Impact - It's bonus of +50% to shields and +15% to the uncommon Proto-Shields by far does not counteract the -25% damage to flesh (Half of Corpus) and -25% to cloned flesh (ALL Grineer)

Not really, no. Using certain damage elements against certain enemies is your choice entirely. Mod for elemental damage to overcompensate.

Also, Impact has a stun once it procs. You can give what you want to it, but this topic is not about Impact.

So the majority of the most powerful weapons in the game can become even stronger, with no trade-off what-so-ever, and no reasoning behind it besides it sounds cool. Great idea OP.

And yet, no solution has been offered. You really don't know how to contribute, do you?

Responding to the bold portion: you know what puncture means right? That's the reason.

Also, let me restate this: this is not about Slash and Impact - this is about Puncture. I'm well aware that Slash and Impact could have additional effects, but no.

this topic is not about Impact.

Your clan's suggestion couldn't be implemented without an upgrade to Impact and Slash, so it would be in your best interest to do so. Ideas that ignore the impact they have on the game as a whole tend to be dismissed quicker than those who embrace it.

Your clan's suggestion couldn't be implemented without an upgrade to Impact and Slash, so it would be in your best interest to do so. Ideas that ignore the impact they have on the game as a whole tend to be dismissed quicker than those who embrace it.

I know, I know, but he's trying to focus on a single thing at a time. I could easily edit the topic for Slash and Impact, but at the moment, Puncture is his idea. I don't care if it's implemented, because I'm simply sharing the idea.

Besides, at one point am I ignoring the impact it has on the game? I never said that I wouldn't make suggestions for Slash and Impact - but that's not what this is about. People are free to simply disregard it as I'm sure they will - this isn't my idea, in the end.