The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Torid Vs Penta Corrosive Build

Kris_prolls

Hello, 

I want to build the Torid with corrosive damage. 

So I put the mods Split Chamber, Serration, Heavy Caliber and the mods Stormbringer, High Voltage and Infected Clip. Finally, i have 8333.40 corrosive damage on Torid. 

I put the same mods on the Penta and I get exactly the same results on corrosive damage. 

How is this possible? The Torid has basically 300 damage poison. Both weapons have the same chance of status and the Penta works better?

Elemental mods don't modify base damage number, they add additional damage. 

100 damage of any damage type +90% fire damage will deal 100 + 90 fire.

Penta has higher base damage, so it will always get more damage from the same mods.

110 damage of any damage type +90% fire damage will deal 110 + 91.

The calculation for what the mod adds is done AFTER base damage increases (Serration and Heavy Caliber in this case) which are also % based and add more to the base damage when the original base damage is higher.. 

Just an odd coincidence that the difference is 300 more damage for Penta, which just happens to be the same as the base damage on Torid. It looks confusing because the toxic becomes corrosive and it all rolls into one number, but it's just the UI combining the numbers for you, since they're all the same type of damage.

Edited by VKhaun

How is it possible?

Well... For the Torid the 300 base toxin damage is converted into Corrosive as well as adding in the damage gained through all the mods (165% from Serration, 165% from Heavy Caliber, 90% from Infected Clip, 90% from Stormbinger, 60% from High Voltage and 90% from Split Chamber)

This means that the base damage ends up being 300 * (1 + 1.65 + 1.65) = 1290

Which then boosts the damage gained from the elemental mods to being 1290 * (0.9 + 0.9 + 0.6) = 3096

This leads you to having a damage per shot of 4386 Corrosive damage. Which is then multiplied by 1.9 to account for the Multi-shot to get 8333.4 Corrosive Damage.

For the Penta, there is a base damage of 350 Blast and 75 Impact for a total of 425 base damage.

This damage is then boosted by the Serration and Heavy Caliber for a total of 425 * (1 + 1.65 + 1.65) = 1827.5

This base damage boosts the damage gained from the elemental mods to being 1827.5 * (0.9 + 0.9 + 0.6) = 4386

This 4386 Corrosive damage will then also be multiplied by 1.9 for the Multi-Shot for 8333.4

So, while the Torid's base damage is included in the final result, the 125 base damage increase when multiplied by the Heavy Caliber and Serration bonuses ends up making up for it.

Bearing in mind this doesn't take into account how the weapons work -

The Torid's damage has very little blast radius so will likely only hit 1-2 targets and the damage numbers include the Direct hit and every tick of the gas cloud, so if any enemy is not directly hit by the projectile and staying in the gas cloud for the full duration, the damage dealt will be considerably lower (If I recall correctly, the impact damage deals about 50% of the total damage with the other 50% being from the DoT from the gas cloud)

Meanwhile the Penta has a large blast radius but the 75 impact damage from the base numbers is only there for a direct hit with the grenade (Which is less likely to be utilized) - Making the effective Corrosive Damage output based off just the 350 base blast damage (Which works out as 6862.8 after adding in all the mods)

So... While on paper, they seem as though they deal the same Corrosive damage, in reality they do different amounts depending on how they are used.

Elemental mods don't modify base damage number, they add additional damage. 

100 damage of any damage type +90% fire damage will deal 100 + 90 fire.

Penta has higher base damage, so it will always get more damage from the same mods.

110 damage of any damage type +90% fire damage will deal 110 + 91.

I don't think 90% of 110 is 91... it's 99.