Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream 30 Overview Part 2, Grineer, Corpus And Enemy Design

DE_Adam

SERGEANT Nef Anyo: Are you guys doing away with his rank as Sergeant?

Derf Anyo: If you're going to take a community concept to put in the game, put the actual concept in the game and don't half-assedly introduce it in name only.

Nef Anyo: Maybe they just descided it doesn't suit the Corpus to use military sounding ranks? After all he was first introduced before the whole concept really crystalized. They have a right to change things to bring it in line with how they see the factions.

I like his techno-ringmaster look and I think it suits the Corpus leadership.

Derf Anyo: He's a nod to the community, not a straight conversion. It says right in his description INPIRED BY. They're keeping him comedic, just more grounded in Corpus tech. I can even see nods to Excalibur in the horn on top of his helmet and the armoured spine design on his back.

Yeah. I don't like any of these.

.....(snip).....

This was the main reason I was disappointed with Devstream 30. I feel the concepts could have been much better than they were imo.

of course you are entitled to you opinion

but i would say this, sure the reworks of nef and tyl seem to move away from their previous "lore" and derf is not EXACTLY as he was envisioned on the forums, but let them have some artistic license, like srsly, you have no idea how derf is going to turn out atm, give them some breathing room

i was not really impressed with sargas ruk's redo myself, IMHO his flamethrower/fireball ensemble really just didnt impress me all that much (additionally the tile he spawns in is pretty garbage as well), but whatevs [i wanted missiles and shoulder mounted energy weapons and maybe a guantlet fist or grabby claw or chaingun or chainsword or just SOMETHING more GRINEER, ruk just seems very "meh" to me, FWIW, remember all those missions lotus tells us to destroy that mining equip or the grineer will get energy weapons? and ruk is their big dog in archaeology, trying to dig up old tech? i wanted to see THAT]

consider how little lore there is ingame atm, its not like DE is S#&$ting on years of developed canon, if they want to completely re-write nef's "backstory" they certainly can, and now would be the time to do it

vay hek went from being a trooper, to a floating fatman, srsly? (my only real complaints about hek atm are that the encounter is buried to deep and not seen/enjoyed enough)

im just saying, while feedback is feedback, and saying, "ok i see what you've got so far and i dont like what i see" is fine, cuz that's just like yer opinion man

still, im saying that i think DE extending this kind of window into the development process should be congratulated and encouraged, give them some rope, and lets see if they use it wisely or hang themselves, THEN we can critique and tell them what to fix

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

of course you are entitled to you opinion

but i would say this, sure the reworks of nef and tyl seem to move away from their previous "lore" and derf is not EXACTLY as he was envisioned on the forums, but let them have some artistic license, like srsly, you have no idea how derf is going to turn out atm, give them some breathing room

i was not really impressed with sargas ruk's redo myself, IMHO his flamethrower/fireball ensemble really just didnt impress me all that much (additionally the tile he spawns in is pretty garbage as well), but whatevs [i wanted missiles and shoulder mounted energy weapons and maybe a guantlet fist or grabby claw or chaingun or chainsword or just SOMETHING more GRINEER, ruk just seems very "meh" to me, FWIW, remember all those missions lotus tells us to destroy that mining equip or the grineer will get energy weapons? and ruk is their big dog in archaeology, trying to dig up old tech? i wanted to see THAT]

consider how little lore there is ingame atm, its not like DE is S#&$ting on years of developed canon, if they want to completely re-write nef's "backstory" they certainly can, and now would be the time to do it

vay hek went from being a trooper, to a floating fatman, srsly? (my only real complaints about hek atm are that the encounter is buried to deep and not seen/enjoyed enough)

im just saying, while feedback is feedback, and saying, "ok i see what you've got so far and i dont like what i see" is fine, cuz that's just like yer opinion man

still, im saying that i think DE extending this kind of window into the development process should be congratulated and encouraged, give them some rope, and lets see if they use it wisely or hang themselves, THEN we can critique and tell them what to fix

No, I stand by my critique. I'll just continue to pretend the Corpus don't exist in this game, since apparently I've got to wait till the concept is finalized and finished for me to make suggestions that won't matter because the concept at that point will be, you know, finished. 

Edited by AntoineFlemming

As long as Nef and Derf aren't locked behind a ridiculous grind wall like Vey Hek, it looks cool. Vey Hek was such a waste of effort. Once people got Hydroid, there was no reason to ever fight Vey Hek; or at least not a reason that was worth the effort of surpassing the RNG/grind wall.

I was not really impressed with sargas ruk's redo myself, IMHO his flamethrower/fireball ensemble really just didnt impress me all that much (additionally the tile he spawns in is pretty garbage as well)

To be fair it seems he based his cybernetics off Ember frames and fire is plasma wich is usually considered an "energy" weapon. Kril is probably my least favourite. I'd guess it's because he was the first redo, so he comes across as a really early game boss.

I agree that tile is garbage. I can't wait for Saturn to get it's own tiles.

We already have enemies that zap our energy to zero.   We already have enemies that bypass shields.

Do we really now need an enemy that not only disarms us, but also then proceeds to use that weapon against us?

Seriously, why the gimmicks?  How is this a good thing?

Seriously, why the gimmicks?  How is this a good thing?

Honestly, I don't think the weapon theft is a bad one. Drain I completely agree is on the cheap side and would dearly love to see Drain Eximus enemies go die in a fire.

However, weapon theft is fairly interesting. It doesn't render us super vulnerable the way Drain does or helpless like Scorpion pulls. We have backup weapons and it makes the enemy more dangerous in an interesting way.

.....i was not really impressed with sargas ruk's redo myself, IMHO his flamethrower/fireball ensemble really just didnt impress me all that much (additionally the tile he spawns in is pretty garbage as well), but whatevs [i wanted missiles and shoulder mounted energy weapons and maybe a guantlet fist or grabby claw or chaingun or chainsword or just SOMETHING more GRINEER, ruk just seems very "meh" to me, FWIW, remember all those missions lotus tells us to destroy that mining equip or the grineer will get energy weapons? and ruk is their big dog in archaeology, trying to dig up old tech? i wanted to see THAT]....

Man, now that would have been BOSS right there - really cool stuff!

The enemies look cool but I'm worried that the fights will consist of the same old stuff that has been used since Lephantis on up, which is.  Wait for bad guys invincible shield to stop working.  Shoot him in his tiny weak spot as many times as you can with your Soma or Boltor Prime.  Rinse and repeat.  And if you like to use melee then your SOL because melee can't do crap to these newer bosses.

Now I'm worried Nef Anyo and Tyl will be same, which will be awful especially with Tyl since he's supposed to be the "melee" boss and I'm hoping to have sweet blade vs blade swordfights with him like I once hoped for with Stalker but then gave up long ago once it's been made clear that DE plans to do nothing about the "who can instagib who first?" method of the Stalker fights.

I read that derf would be in. Look at art, and was greatly disappointed. The only thing about him that is from the community is the name (the tidbits of excalibur - esque parts is debatable).

Also, in regards to Nef, I thought I was looking at another salad V design until I read the description. Not sure how I feel about future design Nef