Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Angstrum/ogris Projectiles Should Probably Pass Through Allies

(PSN)Zeylon

This thought was continually recurring as I played invasion maps earlier, that it was just stupid-easy for anyone on my own team to kill me by stepping in front of me.  This is true of both players and the AI, which loves to cluster around the player on these missions.

The play-style of both weapons is already strategic in that you need to maintain a certain distance to avoid catching yourself in the explosions while killing enemies.  You have to manage your distance, and there's already some strategy/difficulty there when many maps have corridors with short distances and the explosions can get very large.  Did you fire a rocket at enemy too close to you?  That's a poor decision on your part.

In any sort of "real life" situation, you'd of course want to be watching your firing lines to avoid friendly fire, etc.  In Warframe however, the only one that suffers is the gun user (and with explosive weapons in particular).  The Grineer lancer or the 500 Rhino Primes itching to step right in front of you can continue their butt-slide through the level and shrug off the fact that they just killed you indirectly.  

YOU need to keep your distance.  For other players, this is often just an invitation to step in front of you and try to get those kills first.  The weapons have charge times, so you're often in a situation where you've stopped and charged only to finally get that release... into the back of the guy that stepped in front of you.  The brainless ally AI is little better about this.  The odds of dying only get worse as you upgrade the weapons too, which is a sad state of affairs.

I'd argue having to contend with level geometry (sometimes iffy by itself), rapidly approaching enemies, close quarters, etc. is already enough of a difficulty inherent to these weapons.  It would be preferable to not have things which we can not realistically control/predict/prevent or which can be objects of trolling also be a factor.

(I realize the Penta has similar issues, but at the way it's triggered helps somewhat with this)

Nah it shouldn't pass through them, the fact it doesn't is part of the risk of using such a powerful weapon. The guns are super powerful and can clear out rooms easy, the down side? You have to be careful with them.

The ability to kill yourself is actually the main and only handicap to balance this kind of weapon.

Die cause a mate go front of you is a part of the balance of this game!

And a bit fun when you're the one jumping front your mates. :3

Nah it shouldn't pass through them, the fact it doesn't is part of the risk of using such a powerful weapon. The guns are super powerful and can clear out rooms easy, the down side? You have to be careful with them.

^ this, cant have your tasty cake and eat it without the risk of getting some jam on your face, fingers, chin and looking a bit of a tool.

ogris etc are fine as is, amazingly powerful and can backfire if your not careful, the only thing i dont like is enemys ghosting/walking right through you from behind just as you fire.

The ability to kill yourself is actually the main and only handicap to balance this kind of weapon.

Die cause a mate go front of you is a part of the balance of this game!

And a bit fun when you're the one jumping front your mates. :3

I point out that handicap is a balancing factor.  I take issue with the trolling factor of it being one of the few weapons where other players can make you kill yourself intentionally.

Also, as stated, the "style" of the weapon forces you to keep your distance (which is fine), but it lends itself to people running between you and enemies.  This is a general gameplay issue in a way, in that the levels frequently wind up with people "competing" for kills, which means people will rush/sprint to get ahead of other players and get the kills instead of them.  In the case of these weapons in particular, that facet of gameplay results in the user being killed.  

The Ogris can "hold a charge", the Penta won't blow up till you hit the trigger, the Angstrum will screw you because it has a charge up but lacks the ability to hold your shot.

Angstrum and Ogris projectiles can pass through allies.

If you mod for punch through.

Yes, it's tricky to use the Ogris in small maps and corridors and when enemies are close to you.

No that is not enough of a balancing factor to compensate for their sheer destructive power.

Is it annoying that allies can jump in front of you and get yourself killed? Sure

Is it annoying when your ally fires 1 rocket and kills everything in the entire room so you don't get a chance to play? Also yes.

You see, looking at this from only the Ogris user perspective, it feels dumb that allies can interfere with your playing by deliberately blocking your shots (Accidental ones should be less common, it shouldn't take long to figure out who is going to rush out in front (I.E. The guy rocking only melee) and to look at where allies behind you are moving)

But from the everyone but the Ogris user (Also Penta and Angstrum) it feels dumb that someone can just shoot one shot off and murder an entire room, with very controllable downsides.

This of course isn't forgetting things like Defence, Mobile Defence and some Survivals that allow you to safely camp somewhere far away from any such dangers and just fire room murdering rockets freely (For example ODD - When people stand on top of the ledges) - Sheer power with no downsides.

If you're trying to use these big explosive weapons in normal missions, then you personally signed up for the hassle of dealing with corridors, small rooms, enemies that jump in close to you and of course potential allies that get in the way. Yes trolls can be annoying, but that's a downside that playing with Randoms will get you (Friends are also likely to troll, but it should be fine as you can laugh about it or get your own back later)

Pressing R will reset the charge.

Only helps if charging it fully doesn't fire the weapon instantly.

For Ogris, I think it's probably fine as is since you get to decide when it actually launches. For Angstrum, there needs to be some sort of failsafe to stop it going off instantly if something jumps into your face when you're not expecting it. It's horrifically unsafe to use in most situations unless you can carpet-bomb a room from above.

Pressing R will reset the charge.

No, R either quick melees or fires the weapon.  Depending on if you're referring to R1 or R2.

In any event, I've noticed two other ways people seem to be able to troll Ogris/Angstrum users.  Switch Teleport and Zipline can both suddenly place you elsewhere, and the timing is such that if they wait for you to fire your projectile - boom.

I don't believe the "punch through" actually works as far as preventing it either.  I already have Shred on my Ogris, and it definitely doesn't let the projectiles pass through allies.

No, R either quick melees or fires the weapon.  Depending on if you're referring to R1 or R2.

In any event, I've noticed two other ways people seem to be able to troll Ogris/Angstrum users.  Switch Teleport and Zipline can both suddenly place you elsewhere, and the timing is such that if they wait for you to fire your projectile - boom.

I don't believe the "punch through" actually works as far as preventing it either.  I already have Shred on my Ogris, and it definitely doesn't let the projectiles pass through allies.

PS4 user commenting on PC keybindings is unaware, for referrence pressing the reload assigned button resets the charge