Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scanning Is Detrimental To Gameplay.

Innocent_Flower

There's corpus all around you and your squad. There's swarms of them, you must fight.. or take pictures of them.

No, Nah, Not realy. No thank you. Nup. Nay. nyet, nope,  nu, non, nein 

Taking pictures of the enemy was a good idea... In bioshock. However, warframe isn't like bioshock. You've got more scans to make, more enemies on screen, scans give you nothing but information and completion points. 

There's a few sollutions to this

1: Less scans. 

Actual rewards for scans. Like resources, mods, blueprints. 

2: less scans

Bonuses against the enemies you scan. 

3: less scans

Like, realy, less scans. One scan and the guy is in your codex with all the information down. 

4: No scans. 

Maybe have kills influence what's shown in the codex. 

But realy, I'm waltzing around with helios but the vast majority of players don't have helios . Scanning is a pain at any level. With online it means that players kill the guys I'm trying to scan. With single player scanning means that I'm getting flooded with enemies. It's just bad game design. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

Thats why Helios was born, plus you can kill around who you want to scan, scan all the trash mobs on lower planets, and they arent supposed to be a one and done thing....like the whole RNG system its supposed to take ages to get the stuff you want, thats the whole philosophy lol

basically scanning is for "stealth" gameplay

sneak around and take scans BEFORE you engage the enemies, after they see you, it's time to destroy them, not take snapshots

i got the majority of my scans in solo play, of course now helios works decently to get you some scans in multiplayer and thats cool too, but im hardly ever using my manual scanner these days (after im done ranking wyrmprime up, ill swap back to helios until my codex of eximus is complete, and then back to the floating ballzsack)

People seem to be missing the point. Obviously you can scan lower level enemies, play solo, let Helios do all the work, etc. but why is that an excuse for leaving the scanning mechanic as tedious as it is? Why is scanning such a counter-intuitive mechanic in the first place? Having to focus on a single enemy is nigh impossible due to the choppy and erratic movements of enemies, and things die so fast that any teammate accompanying you is bound to kill before you get a chance to do it.

Sure you can play solo and stealth the mission, but even then there are still two major flaws with it:

1) If Warframe is meant to be a co-op game, why is it nearly incompatible with the co-op mode? (something I never thought I'd ask of this game)

2) Some enemies don't even spawn until you put the ship on alert, which is a bit of an issue for the whole 'stealth' approach

I for one agree that Scanning could afford to be both more streamlined and offer more rewards beyond some resistances that could just be found on the wiki. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with scanning being most effective during solo play (I actually support that since Solo has few benefits going for it as is) but that doesn't mean that we should openly accept the fact that it flat out works against the co-op nature of the game, which is what Warframe was meant to be.

The only thing that needs fewer scans are eximus units and overly rare units (Electric Crawlers anyone?)

Beyond that you can go to a low level mission and stealth scan the enemies (which counts as 2 scans as opposed to the one you get if they are alerted to your presence), or use CC abilities to give you a nice long time to scan the enemies that you need to.

Helios does the scanning for you, still makes the scanning mechanic useless besides seeing which enemies you get loot from. After your done Mastery Ranks I guess this is like a sidequest.

Heres a similar topic to imoprove or make scanning more useful:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/248807-scanning-feedback-and-suggestions/

Edited by (PS4)ELIT3_EXP3RT-01

1) If Warframe is meant to be a co-op game, why is it nearly incompatible with the co-op mode? (something I never thought I'd ask of this game)

2) Some enemies don't even spawn until you put the ship on alert, which is a bit of an issue for the whole 'stealth' approach

1) If we're talking about scanning being incompatible with co-op mode (and I hope we are), then I'm 50/50 on this. You CAN form a team with the specific purpose of getting scans of stronger/rarer enemies, stacked with CC/Stealth abilities and weapons. It's tedious, but it's basically the same as forming a stealth team, just with scanning and way more communication.

2) Aside from Infested, I've actually never run into this problem. All of the non-Boss enemies I've scanned I've seen at least once when stealthing, so which enemies seem to only spawn when the ship is alarmed? Maybe the Ceres Vay Hek Guards (they always seem to have Lotus warning you when they appear)?

Though for scanning, if they wanted to keep it stealth oriented, you'd think the Shade sentinel would at least keep its invisibility when you scan.....

People seem to be missing the point. Obviously you can scan lower level enemies, play solo, let Helios do all the work, etc. but why is that an excuse for leaving the scanning mechanic as tedious as it is? Why is scanning such a counter-intuitive mechanic in the first place? Having to focus on a single enemy is nigh impossible due to the choppy and erratic movements of enemies, and things die so fast that any teammate accompanying you is bound to kill before you get a chance to do it.

Sure you can play solo and stealth the mission, but even then there are still two major flaws with it:

I for one agree that Scanning could afford to be both more streamlined and offer more rewards beyond some resistances that could just be found on the wiki. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with scanning being most effective during solo play (I actually support that since Solo has few benefits going for it as is) but that doesn't mean that we should openly accept the fact that it flat out works against the co-op nature of the game, which is what Warframe was meant to be.

rly i think u might be missing this point: the game doesnt have to be everything to everyone at all times

its perfectly fine if a system like scanning is catered more towards solo play, just like surv and def missions cater more towards group play

scanning does not necessarily need to be group friendly, the game has enough room for certain mechanics and playstyles to benefit certain niches and not others

ive got nothing wrong with scanning possibly having more in-mission tangible benefits, like scanned tgts take 5% more dmg or something like that (thus giving helios some purpose post codex completion), but i wouldnt want codex completion to necessarily give flat buffs to dmg vs enemies (ala bioshock), becuz then once yer codex was done, you'd never need to scan again)

additionally scanning really should be used to identify enemy/boss weakpoints (ala metroid, and similar to how banshee's sonar works), this is something i was really disappointed to see DE not capitalize on

lastly DE really needs to add more Cicero Event style purposes for scanning IMHO, as even though ppl complained about it, I thought it was a novel way to gather resources compared to our previous methods (scanning for resources MUCH better than gathering argon/oxy IMHO)

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Taking pictures of the enemy was a good idea... In bioshock. However, warframe isn't like bioshock. You've got more scans to make, more enemies on screen, scans give you nothing but information and completion points. 

1: Less scans. 

Actual rewards for scans. Like resources, mods, blueprints. 

2: less scans

Bonuses against the enemies you scan. 

You forgot that you have an inordinate amount of time to take care of scans, as Warframe isn't a 'One and Done' 8-16 hour linear FPS. This is what defines the major difference here.

Unfortunately, all of which is conflicting, as you believe there is no reward (and thus no reason), but want to make it easier to get all the necessary scans for some reason. Those two things you point out already exist. You are rewarded with bonuses against the enemies you scan (as far as the devs originally explained), and your reward is having a clear drop table, and exact stats of a particular enemy unit.

This all makes it an entirely different subset of gameplay, not at all related to killing, co-op, or other functions themselves. There are perhaps rare units that need way more scans than we'll generally see, but those adjustments have all been made with time.

I for one have yet to see a toxic eximus to scan. :\  I've almost maxed crawler eximus, have a few electric and lobber eximus, one naseous eximus but no toxic eximus scans. ;-;

For those of you having trouble finding the above check out some infested alerts. They often seem to have a high concentration of one type of rare crawler.

Oh, and to be on topic. The scanning metagame is fine for now.  If scanning was made to be more 'useful' then it would need an overhaul and I think it's best that DE focus on other systems at present time.

Edited by Judge_Hellboy