Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Ospreys Need Some Nerfing

MisturTentacles

While my sentinel disagrees with me...

It's my opinion that the Mutalist Osprey doesn't need a nerf... Players need to form better habits and prioritize.

The toxic clouds don't appear to be doing any damage to cryo-pods at this point and the majority of the toxic threat the infested presented was reduced long ago.

As long as you make the new Ospreys and Leaders priorities they present a limited threat.

but this would mean players would have to pay attention and not just mindlessly zombie through missions.

kinda like they should be doing now, but they dont. like the complaints about Ancient Disrupters, you know, the HUGE guys surrounded by LITTLE guys who start walking real slow from far away and only start running once they get close or see you, AND get blocked by their own troops.

Easier to avoid? I've done the alert earlier and they were swarming all over the pod, making it impossible to go near it and it's also hard to shoot them because they keep on dashing around and spreading more farts. Less damage? No no no you're missing the point, bosses don't do direct damage to health which means your shield will take damage but that's not much a problem because shields recharge, and unless you have rejuvenation on you're health will stay that way and you'll keep taking what, around 500-1000 toxic damage that bypasses shields? And they CAN shove 8 stacks of farts in your face because of the high proc chance

Also, as an afterthought, how do wave 30 ODD mobs justify it?

Wave 30 ODD mobs do not belong everywhere, especially not places like Venus. 

I meant easier to avoid in ODD because venomous ancients are easier to avoid there than ospreys are, and in ODD, the ospreys still do stupid damage. Your comment does little to counter what I was saying.

But of course, anyone who goes against this idea is, in the apparent views of half these players, just a whiny noob.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IT IS NOT CHALLENGE.

kinda like they should be doing now, but they dont. like the complaints about Ancient Disrupters, you know, the HUGE guys surrounded by LITTLE guys who start walking real slow from far away and only start running once they get close or see you, AND get blocked by their own troops.

AND can hit you with the energy drain attack while you are knocked down, while you are sprinting past them, while you are many meters away, with a very short windup, and through walls, and while you are BEHIND THEM (because their arm apparently has a mind of its own and likes to go in the opposite direction the Ancient is facing) and which will be nigh unavoidable unless you see them coming from a distance and there is less than two or three of them.

But the solution to that probably wouldn't be a total nerf. Maybe if things like attack windup or even drain strength were different at lower and higher levels, it'd change things up a bit. I'd love that.

They're not as bad as the Shock aura eximi though. At least the Ancients give you a solid chance to do something about the problem. Shock eximi punish you just for being in their vicinity within a couple of seconds, regardless of height or objects inbetween. 

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Just because new players are doing it doesn't mean it's right and should be balanced for.

You logic is flawed and unreasonable.  A dark sector on Venus, accessible through the starmap by new players should be leveled to them.  One in Mars should be leveled towards Mars difficulty.  Eris and pluto, same and same.

IF Dark Secors are intended to be veteran only then they should remain locked until you reach some specific part of the map (like, unlocking all of the planets/zones).

By your attitude, I am guessing you don't like new players and want this to be a veteran only game?

to those said this is a "challenge", i am afraid u havent played enough or just played at mid-low level with tanky frames. the fact that it charges to u and instantly release a huge poison cloud makes u no way to evade. toxic ancients also deal enormous amount of poison damage, but u can retreat, u can stun them, u can keep a distant from them, and that is called challenge. an instant kill kamikaze drone is not challenge ffs.

drone type enemies cannot be stunned by impact or blast proc. there is only few way to stop them. this is not right imo

The way I see it, the infested osprey needs a bit of rethinking as far as its role in the infested horde goes, as well as pathing and hitbox fixes, of course. It's not a completely unsalvageable unit, it just doesn't really make sense to me mechanically in its current state. Is it meant to be a support unit, or a heavy assault unit?

The fact that it carries another unit into battle before it does any fighting itself leans it towards a support role, along with its wide AOE area-denial attack, not to mention it being a rather common enemy. However, the fact that its attack can do gobfuls of damage that ignore shields with its toxin proc, along with its inordinately high amount of health makes it seem like a heavy assault unit.

If this unit is intended to be in a supporting role for the other infested units, it can do with a damage nerf, or another tweak. When players are more concerned with a support unit's damage capabilities than what it brings as a support to its allies, something's up. It's a bit like an atomic bomb carrying a guy with a pistol into battle right now, the fact it even has a crawler to deliver is rendered irrelevant by the osprey's damage output. Bumping down its damage a bit and switching out its lethal toxin proc for a more suitable for a support unit viral proc, as has been previously suggested, would play to a support role. This way, the cloud is still dangerous, but more so because of the other infested units the osprey is supporting, rather than the osprey by its lonesome.

If they intended for it to be a heavy assault unit, it should be rebalanced around that. The osprey can keep the crawler delivery service to serve as a hybrid assault/hybrid, but it should be bulked up in size and spawn less often, to play towards its priority target status along with more evident telegraphing for its lethal assault. The crawler could also be removed, so it would always do its charging attack rather than needing to drop off its buddy first. And as it stands now, it spawns too often given how easily it can take down a player's health; lots of ospreys out at once wouldn't (and doesn't) sit so well with them being a priority target type of unit.

I like the concept of the unit, in a support role, mostly, but right now it seems like its not sure what it wants to be. Either it needs to better fit in a support role, or more into a heavy assault role; right now its in the worst kind of middle ground, common as a support unit with the power of a heavy assault one. And that's why it needs a rebalance.

To be honest, it's more of a support unit. Why is it more threatening than everything else?

By your attitude, I am guessing you don't like new players and want this to be a veteran only game?

There's always players like that. They're everywhere.

But they shouldn't decide what doesn't get tweaked just because they like the way it works, the same way newer or less skilled players shouldn't be the only deciding factor in what gets nerfed.

If these things scaled the damage with level, like almost every other enemy in the game, then this would quite possibly go a long way to solving these issues. A lot of people would be happy. It's called balancing, not dumbing down or catering to noobs.

God forbid a game should be playable by anyone other than well-geared veterans though, huh. I thought I'd seen the bulk of this nonsense in the Firefall community.

Edited by AdunSaveMe