Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All The Dead Space References!

Azamagon

This infested event obviously has a seriously huge amount of inspiration from Dead Space (Which, imo, is a GOOD thing! Probably my favourite event so far!)

Hence this thread to try and collect all the Dead Space references this event brought to us! :)

Here are my findings:

* Mutilatist Quanta - Totally inspired by the Line Gun! While the Line Gun didn't have rapid fire, the alternate fire is extremely similar

EDIT: I guess the primary fire could be a hint towards Dead Space's Pulse Rifle (spinning barrels and all)?

* Ventilation duct "scare" - I kid you not, I experienced (although, only once) an Infested Charger crashing out of a ventilation duct, in true Dead Space style! Only saw it once though, so I understand if people might not've seen this. Note: The duct was very, very short, just enough to fit in an Infested Charger. So it wasn't an alternate path or anything, it was MADE this way!

* The infested sounds - Some of the infested sound almost IDENTICAL to the suicidal Dead Space enemies (those with big, explosive, yellow blobs as one of their "arms"). There are more other infested sounds which are similar, but that one in particular feels almost like a partial COPY! :D

* The infested music - Very similar style of music. Some of the ambience and music at times feel identical. All things considered, I bet it is heavily inspired by Dead Space.

* Vacuum / Low gravity - Not only was there far more vacuum-areas than usual in the infested event, some other things stuck out to me that felt very Dead Space-inspired:

1) Lots of debris (like boxes etc) floating around in open space. I never saw much of that, if any, before in Warframe... now there was a LOT in certain areas. Could've been added just to make sense, but it feels inspired, even if just slightly.

2) Certain areas with vacuum (both were potential starting zones btw) had specific places were you were actually being SUCKED OUT OF THE SHIP, first slowly, then far more when you got closer to the hole. I didn't check if it instakills you, but i bet it does. Never seen that effect before in Warframe, but it was definitely in Dead Space (In particular in Dead Space 2, with all the destructible windows where you have to shoot a "lock" above the window to seal it), so it obviously feels inspired to me.

3) In some of the areas (especially as you got more points) you had vacuum WHILE FIGHTING the infested. That feels VERY inspired by Dead Space (in particular DS2). Actually, the time i got above 48 points, I had vacuum throughout 95% of the entire mission! That... was intense to say the least :D

* Tumors / Hives - The tumors and hives feels, even if just a little, quite inspired by Dead Space. The tumors reminded me of the probing inside the huge "artifact" (not gonna spoil anything here) in Dead Space 3. I guess you could also stretch it and say that the hives had vague similarities to the "hive" bosses in Dead Space. *shrugs*

* Gas Clouds - The gas clouds that spawned after you kill the Gas Hive reminded me of the weezers in the life support area (EDIT; thanks for correcting me Corvid! :)) from Dead Space 1, those which spawned a bunch of gas clouds. Meh, maybe a stretch, but felt like a vague reference to me.

* Ventilation Fans - Maybe not inspired by Dead Space, but still, in Dead Space 2 there were notable areas where you had to fly against powerful fans, with "wind in your face", to get past certain areas. In the infested events I found at least two places where oddly placed fans were placed, which actually pushed you and enemies in their direction

One in that blows you down in a hole, which will respawn you

A second one in the middle of a bunch of machines, which just blows you sideways into the wall

* Gravity Floor Tiles + Hatch hybrid - This is quite of a stretch, but there was something in this event that reminded me of two things from Dead Space:

1) There was certain places where malfunctional "gravitational plates" was placed on the floor (If you or an enemy went into them, you got thrown up and splattered in the ceiling).

2) There were a bunch of hatches and sliding doors that opened from the middle. Most notable I can think of was the hatch for the coffins in the cryo chambers of Dead Space 2 (where you turned off the gravity to go up through the hatch)

many

While I didn't really see any of those two in the infested event, I at least saw something which felt like a hybrid of those two: On the floor in a few particular areas, there were tiles (structured kinda like a chessboard) which kept opening and closing all the time, from the middle. I know, a stretch, but those tiles still reminded me of those 2 things.

EDIT - Seems it was even more similar than expected:

Its not as much of a stretch as you think if you hack the terminal that is underneath the stairs those chessboard tiles will start moving up and down and will throw you against the ceiling on the way up one of them throws you into a hidden locker room.

There ya go! :)

Have you found something else? Even if they just felt like vague reminders? :)

Also, a question of curiousity to DE, how many of these things mentioned here are ACTUALLY inspired by Dead Space?

EDIT - Inputs by others:

I thought about that too, also some other parts the resemble Dead space include

1.The entire crew has become the infested and ones that weren't turn were killed. (You can find Corpus dead bodies in chairs and such, like in dead space you can find the dead bodies of the crew around the ship.)

2.The captain, (or in this case leader) has gone insane and has released an infection on the ship (When the captain brought the marker on the ship, Alad V infecting his own ships and troops.)

Thats all I can think of so far.

Edited by Azamagon

2) Certain areas with vacuum (both were potential starting zones btw) had specific places were you were actually being SUCKED OUT OF THE SHIP, first slowly, then far more when you got closer to the hole. I didn't check if it instakills you, but i bet it does. 

Your bet is wrong, sadly. It just ports you back.

I really do love how Dead Space inspired the new sounds/ambiance/etc. seem while still feeling like Warframe. And apparently I'm not the only who thinks some of the Infested sound similar to those exploder enemies (now imagine if Runners actually could deal devastating damage o_O)

* Gravity Floor Tiles + Hatch hybrid - This is quite of a stretch, but there was something in this event that reminded me of two things from Dead Space:

1) There was certain places where malfunctional "gravitational plates" was placed on the floor (If you or an enemy went into them, you got thrown up and splattered in the ceiling).

2) There were a bunch of hatches and sliding doors that opened from the middle. Most notable I can think of was the hatch for the coffins in the cryo chambers of Dead Space 2 (where you turned off the gravity to go up through the hatch)

many

While I didn't really see any of those two in the infested event, I at least saw something which felt like a hybrid of those two: On the floor in a few particular areas, there were tiles (structured kinda like a chessboard) which kept opening and closing all the time, from the middle. I know, a stretch, but those tiles still reminded me of those 2 things.

Its not as much of a stretch as you think if you hack the terminal that is underneath the stairs those chessboard tiles will start moving up and down and will throw you against the ceiling on the way up one of them throws you into a hidden locker room.

I thought about that too, also some other parts the resemble Dead space include

1.The entire crew has become the infested and ones that weren't turn were killed. (You can find Corpus dead bodies in chairs and such, like in dead space you can find the dead bodies of the crew around the ship.)

2.The captain, (or in this case leader) has gone insane and has released an infection on the ship (When the captain brought the marker on the ship, Alad V infecting his own ships and troops.)

Thats all I can think of so far.

Edited by Amethyst.zero

Yeah, because Dead Space totally pioneered the atonal horror-styled strings sound. Please.

You're obsessed with Dead Space and you're giving EA way more credit than they deserve. Last I checked the pioneering alien zombie themes probably came from John Carpenter's The Thing.

Edited by djentlemenBehold

Considering the fact that Visceral took a lot of inspiration from the original Dark Sector concept, I guess it's come full circle.

Yeah, because Dead Space totally pioneered the atonal horror-styled strings sound. Please.

You're obsessed with Dead Space and you're giving EA way more credit than they deserve. Last I checked the pioneering alien zombie themes probably came from John Carpenter's The Thing.

Pioneered? Maybe not, but Dead Space most certainly popularised the concept in videogames. Also, it's funny that you mention John Carpenter. While I was doing a bit of fact-checking for this response, I found out that he's actually interested in making an Dead Space film.

* Gas Clouds - The gas clouds that spawned after you kill the Gas Hive reminded me of the "oozers" (whatever they were called now) from Dead Space 1, those which spawned a bunch of gas clouds. I think it was in a kind of vegetable area of the ship. Meh, maybe a stretch, but felt like a vague reference to me.

Just so you know, the enemy you're thinking of is called a wheezer, and they appear on the hydroponics deck (Basically the life support maintenance area).

Edit: Why does everyone think that the game was conceived and produced by EA? They just funded it. Visceral is the developer.

Edited by Corvid