Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thank You For Watching Devstream #31!

[DE]Rebecca

Thanks for the Dev stream, great info on upcomming factors.

I have to counter Scott on the "baindaid" mods however, particularly knockdown resistance/stand up speed. 

Knockdown especially is an issue, those skilled enough to avoid it all the time are called Rhino (with ironskin), you cant always avoid it as they can literally take you out of the air, even when you are zooming past at blinding speed, while sliding, doing the flip roll out of a slide, or even while doing a flying kick to the enemie's face.  Even then you can once again, in the middle of the getting up animation, be knocked down again leading to being turned into a "pinball" should it happen multiple times. 

Enemies likewise dont suffer this issue either as they get a 2-3 seconds of knockdiwn immunity and cant be knocked down again untill they are again fully upright.

SImply put the Tenno get up slower than anyone on the live stream couches could get up themselves after being knocked down (no offence meant).  This really breaks immersion and makes the Tenno simply feel impotent in this particular area. 

Sure the mods could fix it but thats at the risk of weakening the warframe/tenno in a manner that could mean they die before control is returned to the player, when the added durability of other mods could mean they survive the ordeal.  Again making the Tenno seem impotent.

This could actually be incorperated into the personality of the frames themselves (even applied to enemies), even giving more ways to make frames distinct.  For example heavier frames can be more resistant to being knocked down but get up slower should they get knocked down while lighter frames would be simpler to actually knockdown, but get up much faster as well.

Thanks for the Dev stream, great info on upcomming factors.

I have to counter Scott on the "baindaid" mods however, particularly knockdown resistance/stand up speed. 

Knockdown especially is an issue, those skilled enough to avoid it all the time are called Rhino (with ironskin), you cant always avoid it as they can literally take you out of the air, even when you are zooming past at blinding speed, while sliding, doing the flip roll out of a slide, or even while doing a flying kick to the enemie's face.  Even then you can once again, in the middle of the getting up animation, be knocked down again leading to being turned into a "pinball" should it happen multiple times. 

Enemies likewise dont suffer this issue either as they get a 2-3 seconds of knockdiwn immunity and cant be knocked down again untill they are again fully upright.

SImply put the Tenno get up slower than anyone on the live stream couches could get up themselves after being knocked down (no offence meant).  This really breaks immersion and makes the Tenno simply feel impotent in this particular area. 

Sure the mods could fix it but thats at the risk of weakening the warframe/tenno in a manner that could mean they die before control is returned to the player, when the added durability of other mods could mean they survive the ordeal.  Again making the Tenno seem impotent.

This could actually be incorperated into the personality of the frames themselves (even applied to enemies), even giving more ways to make frames distinct.  For example heavier frames can be more resistant to being knocked down but get up slower should they get knocked down while lighter frames would be simpler to actually knockdown, but get up much faster as well.

Well put and a great idea. Seems simple enough too. +1

Just going to add, I'm with the others in disagreeing with Scott regarding band aid mods.

You mentioned that the good players would be 'ninja' enough not to use them, but fact is there is currently no active way to avoid knockdowns other than completely staying out of the enemy's melee range. There is no active recovery, no invincible frames when dodging, nothing. There isn't a mechanic that allows one to knockdowns via skill and effort, players aren't even able to 'ninja' in the first place to avoid them.

Just going to add, I'm with the others in disagreeing with Scott regarding band aid mods.

You mentioned that the good players would be 'ninja' enough not to use them, but fact is there is currently no active way to avoid knockdowns other than completely staying out of the enemy's melee range. There is no active recovery, no invincible frames when dodging, nothing. There isn't a mechanic that allows one to knockdowns via skill and effort, players aren't even able to 'ninja' in the first place to avoid them.

This may not be a entirely reliable method, but you cant be knocked down mid-combo. Just saying xD

Quick question: will our kubrows have tails? Technically what they have in those animations are elongated tailbones.

+ will they carry gear (in the future), like the armor packs that the players use?

ARMOR ON THE KUBROWS that was genius. why do i feel a flashback to he-man with battle cat(his tiger for those that dont know) RADIAL BLIND WITH AN ARMORED KUBROW...ultimate screen shot. can we submit that for a poster in the store lol

You may have to submit a ticket.

Have done that and so much more and not a single reply to me or my gf about it . other winners are also still waiting i dont see why it would take so lomg or they couldnt atleast say how long its going to take . 

WYRM PRIME

A slight change to Wyrm, rendering it useful would be nice too. The original concept of stunning enemies is very good - but I rarely notice that Wyrm does anything of sorts. Why not make it lob a bomb that causes enemies in aoe to get friendly with the ground?

Also the original sentinel weapons are nowhere near Sweeper and Stinger (while those 2 are nothing to be too scared of either) - it's especially weird for Dethcube since it's all about... deth.

Also Helios got much much better than how it was - as for it's use after you have everything in your codex or the fact that it has no power useful in a fight... why not make it blind the occasional enemy or mark them (and scan them if they are not scanned so we don't take that away) for 3/6/12/15% higher incoming damage from all sources?

DROP TABLES

Okay, that's a sensitive area. I know you need to make ends meet and all but I cannot stop mentioning what you said a long time ago about a clever drop system which eventually gives you stuff you haven't got for a long time. Also you can always implement a recycle system where you break down items into tokens (a rare resource of some sorts) that can be turned into what you want - albeit a large amount is needed thus you most likely get it much faster with even the slightest luck... but at least players would have a "worst case scenario" to turn to. Like you cannot get Loki Prime Helmet, no matter how hard you try but if you break down 100 prime part blueprints, you can get enough tokens to get it! Not tokens, hmm, maybe Orokin Research Material or something.

WARFRAME BUFFS/CHANGES

I'm interested too. His heal-over-time effect is easily one of my favourite abilities in game (I love heal over time stuff and over time stuff altogether) but it would be nice if we could mod it to be weaker with a longer duration... while it changed so it doesn't end when you reach max health but instead stays and if you get hurt again, it starts healing again. While within the time limit of course.

A ton of other frames could use changes (imbo of course), especially Frost (make him freeze stuff, turning enemies fragile... okay, seriously, that would actually make him useful) and Nekros (he is only good for scavanging now...).

Pretty please? ?D

DAMAGE-BASED WARFRAME ABILITIES

I'm conflicted if it comes to this. On one hand I don't like the idea of powers completely losing their edge on higher levels while I hate the idea to force some kind of CC effect on every damage oriented ability. CC should be CC, and while it goes well with damage in many occasion, doing it just to keep those abilities in-game...

I think it's much better if you stick to one of your original themes where you gave different abiltiies to frames. Some were damage, some were CC. You can mix them but it's better to give the choice to the player. Bring the nuke to kill weak enemies? Or bring the CC to prepare for strong ones? Or both, risking that you cannot properly strengthen either?

If you blend skills too much it won't end well. Better to make them diverse as hell so players are forced to think. Sure, you can mod CC+dmg mods too, go towards either end but then all frames would have skills with identical roles, only different animations. That's boring.

Even better if you introduce many abilities that complement other abilities. Like Frost freezing enemies make them fragile, higher incoming damage from any source (or Loki forcing enemies into melee while his Vauban pal smiles behind him with a very suspicious grenade in hand). Manipulating their resistances to your other abilities' favour, also helping other players' abiltiies to reach full potential.

PLAYER SHIP

A personal dojo - cool :D Even cooler if it really becomes customizable. That goes for dojo too, coloring and themes (grineer theme, orokin theme etc.) would do good. Again, it's already plenty beautiful, especially if the aquarium arrives :)

Oh, can we build more than 100 rooms in the dojo in the near future? We hit 100 for some time now and I admit the map goes nuts sometimes (it just loves it when you can go to the same room on 4 different paths) but I'm getting lonely without all those hard worker engineers buzzing down there.

And I would like a red tricycle for Christmas.

VALKYR REWORK

I'm glad I haven't sold her yet. I wasn't really fond of her, good mobility and other properties changed my mind thankfully. Now we might see her in a new light. Her hysteria should provide huge slashing attacks, hitting crowds. Otherwise it will always fall short to aoe nukes and will be nothing more than a manual version of Ash's bladestorm. With cool sound and visuals.

CLAW WEAPON

Advertising catchphrase from different game in 3...2...1...: Hell, it's about time. :)

NEW WARFRAME

I admit, I'm curious how you plan to implement such abilities - if every object can only be "boobied"... er "booby trapped" once it would be a rather useless power so I guess you have something else in mind. Something to look forward to :)

FOCUS SYSTEM

I'm in for nearly anything to make players and their toys more diverse and unique.

DARK SECTORS

I would:

- Make dark sectors actual sectors and not just single missions.

- Players have to travel there, if you want to do other missions, you have to travel back.

- Travelling is done through a few mission long path to (and from) these sectors, occupied by vicious infested and/or other factions just happened to be there, possibly on ships. If a player enters the area by fighting through these missions, the base bonuses apply, no taxes.

- Alternate route to the area through the usual rails. If players enter through rails, the applied taxes will be paid.

- Conflicts are played on the rails, a completely separate map.

- Those applying for rail ownership can purchase (and later upgrade) global buffs that affect players in the dark sector (but not during on the rail - thus doesn't help in conflicts). These include small % drop chance bonus for all maps in the sector, separately for resources and items, % cred bonus, % xp bonus. Owners cannot remove these buffs, can only upgrade them - but they are reset to 0 if ownership is transferred. Buffs only need to be purchased once (by the owner of rail) and stay in effect regardless of the amount of missions played (until ownership changes of course).

A more detailed version is found HERE.

MELEE COMBOS

I already have a problem with the current combos being normally hard to perform because of the key-registration for melee in-game.

Just for better clarity I've tried to rephrase the melee mechanic I'm so hell bent on - instead of the current one where you frequently end up being unable to stop slashing air while the enemy is already meters away:

- You press key to initiate attack (or to charge heavy strike if we want that back - wouldn't be bad).

- Attack commences (or attack commences when you release the key that you held to charge your heavy strike).

- While the attack animation is played, you press the key down again (after releasing it once).

- When the animation ends, if you are still holding the key, either the next attack starts or the next heavy-attack charge up period (if there is such).

Even if you press the button a hundred times during the original attack animation, as long as you are not holding it at the end of it, there will be no following attacks right away thus no "I can't stop slashing!" problems yet we still have a way to chain attacks one after another fluidly in a precise manner.

As for the other thing I don't like about melee2.0 is that the combos reflect the current repertoir of melee moves all so well. EEEEEEEEEE, with the occasional "holdE" and "don't press E for a while". It's... okay, I know it's just the beginning but having only one particular move you can use is shallow, thus building combos from that isn't really using combos.

I would introduce basic moves like:

- Side-diretion key+MELEE: horizontal strike to that direction

- Forward key+MELEE: thrust

- Backwards key+MELEE: spin attack / backwards strike

- Holding MELEE key: heavier attack that is harder to block/parry but an incoming attack can cancel it (much like the previous Charge attack but with a plain 50% dmg increase instead of a completely standalone damage type)

- ROLL, then MELEE: upwards slash/strike at the end of the roll

- USE, midrun, towards enemy: plain showing the enemy how the ground looks from close up, they lie down, you jump up (heavy enemies might behave like concrete walls, possible difference in result for heavy and light frames - like Loki can't really move heavies while Rhino has more chance, depends on speed too, etc... heavies or successfully guarding enemies might not fall but get knocked back a bit)

- USE, midrun, close to side of enemy: grab, spinning around them, ending up on their backs (or on ground if enemy guards against it which happens more frequently the faster/melee based the enemy is - so easier to climb heavies), opens up a few extra strikes, maybe finisher... especially with heavies

- USE, midair close to enemy: grabbing onto them, landing behind them, using momentum to shove them ahead if they cannot guard (easier to throw lighter enemies, heavies or melee based ones are more protected)

- SLIDE towards enemy: kicking them off their feet, just like the flying kick

- USE, midSLIDE, close to enemy: different animation but overall similar to "USE, midrun, close to side of enemy"

- JUMP, USE above enemy: dropping down from above, dragging the enemy down, jumping up in the end while they are still getting aquainted with the carpet - lighter frames might end up on top of still standing enemy (especially Grineer Bombard and the like) with possible finisher/strike options open

- USE, close to enemy: grabbing enemy for close stabs till they break free or next press of USE ending up in showing them away (or death - again, in this situation it would be fun to be able to "lose" the upper hand ending up being shot from close up :D... no, not really but such threat would spice it up)

- USE, behind enemy: "human" shield / kick to force enemy into kneeling

- USE, behind enemy, MELEE (piercing weapon): grabbing head/mouth, pulling enemy "onto" your blade (stab from behind), causing 125% dmg and bleeding

- USE, behind enemy, MELEE (blunt weapon): grabbing shoulder or neck, pulling enemy backwards while shoving his legs upwards with the blunt weapon causing mid-concussion that lowers speed for X seconds (maybe low chance of Confusion even similar to Chaos) and opening enemy up for ground finishers

- USE, behind enemy, MELEE (slash weapon): grabbing head/mouth, slicing throat, causing stun/forced kneeling and bleeding (possible finisher or extra hit opening up)

- SLIDE, MELEE (dual slash weapon): horizontal slash, both sides, timed to start and end with the slide's full path, causing slow and bleeding to enemies around

- SLIDE, MELEE (slash weapon): spin attack, causing slow and bleed effect to enemies hit around the path

- SLIDE, MELEE (piercing weapon): rising hit when the melee key is pressed, ending the slide, possibly moving the enemy up from the ground, high damage, further raised armor penetration, enemy hit suffers weakness/internal bleeding

- SLIDE, MELEE (blunt weapon): spin attack, knocking enemies off their feet, causing movement slow for X seconds (since the legs were hit)

- SPRINT, MELEE (slash weapon): spin attack, character continues sprinting afterwards (enemies continue bleeding afterwards...)

- SPRINT, MELEE (piercing weapon): brutal piercing attack at the enemy in front (running into them, maybe slightly pushing them), possibly impaling him and those standing behind him (shield grineer beware!), then jumping onto them with 2 legs, pulling the weapon out, jumping upwards (from the now rather angled enemy)

- SPRINT, MELEE (blunt weapon): using the weapon, the tenno accelerates the closest enemy so escape velocity (enemies, if there is sufficient strength/momentum*), possibly dragging them along for a ride

Okay, this should be enough for now. Many of these animations are already in the game in the form of stealth finishers but I'm aware that even then, it would take a lot of time to implement all this... but I think it would be worth it. After all, what is a Ninja without powerful martial arts skills?

(Would be cool to be able to use USE in mentioned "grab" situations to strangle the opponent. Rhino would especially cool, breaking necks...)

It would overall make melee more immersive and detailed with a certain feel that you actually control your character's moves instead of just smashing away the Next button (E) for to see the following step of a pre-determined movie (a combo chain). If you had to actually perform those moves within a combo... now that's the stuff (and that is much closer to what a combo system really is). Sure, there can be combos like EEE but a combo of EEEEE holdE EE is... pretty much me drinking coffee, reading some mag (not about her) and pressing E again and again and again and again and... you get it. There are players out there that want relaxation from games, easy moves where you can effortlessly enjoy your bada**ness (why would they play a fast paced combat game goes beyond me though) but even those players are not that dumb, they can do a tad more complex combos, I bet some other guys left arm on that.

*Would be nice if "momentum" mods were introduced to melee weapons, affecting how easy it is to block/parry them and how strong their effects like knocback, armor piercing or bleeding are (this needs enemies that can actually block melee attack of course...).

REVISITING MODS

I beliebe the main problem with most of mentioned mods is their efficiency. For spending 9 points on a poison resistant Antitoxin mod, you get barely anything in return. I guess with the poison resist aura it might work better but honestly, since we have VERY limited amount of slots to fit our mods into, it's already a huge pain to switch one out for Antitoxin, and then it's not even all that strong or cheap (the even showed us that with all that toxic resistance we still go down in mere moments around rank 50 toxic enemies - and considering that for a long time people were playing against rank 80+ enemies on survivals...).

FACTION SPAWN ROOMS

I agree, that you already have more than enough problems to worry about (including some of us - like me - whining all the time) but just in case: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/79196-concepts-of-mine-consumables-merchant-gambler-and-void-cause-i-like-that/#entry863293 Simulation room topic.

DEFENSE REWARDS STACKING

I will help you with the decision: make them stack! :D Defense isn't particularly easier than Survival, while it is certainly a HUGE risk to deny exit on a less valuable item just to fight through Hell and back for the 44235th Boar prime part...

Thank you very much for the stream. Many great contents showed, and I love what the player ship will do. As a fan of Mass Effect, I'm not too surprised about my bias there. Quests are also something I'm looking forward to.

But as always, I have to pick on something, and this is not a nitpick; it's a serious concern. It's about "bandaid mods" and Scott's response on it.

Scott commented on the concern of mods acting as bandaids, such as Handspring, and he responded saying that those mechanics are there for the sake of balance. Unfortunately, I completely disagree with that and I don't see how that's any kind of balance, since it mostly just restricts responsiveness in gameplay as well as avoiding the problems in balance in the first place.

If things like handspring made it into core mechanics, DE themselves would be able to balance gameplay and enemies out in a way that conforms to the new responsive system, potentially making more skill-based gameplay and actions.

I must say I'm very disappointed by this reasoning that "these mods are there for a reason." The only reason they are there is because there's a lack of responsiveness in what could have been gameplay based on the player control, not mod and RNG or percentage control.

Anyway, thank you very much again, and for staying longer than the usual time. For what it's worth, I appreciated it.

And to add on what you said we have those mods like the flame resistance mod that are really ridiculous. Bombards and the occasional Flame Eximus are the only things the mod affect for example (sometimes not even the latter due to the frequency of how often he fires his attack or gets dispatched before he can fire off a shot). I personally feel that the modding system for warframes should get overhauled into something else. There really isn't much space to play with after you put on the "quality of life" mods (i.e. redirection and the sort) unless you forma the crap out of the frame to not only add polarities to empty spaces but also get rid of some of those warframe moves polarities.

I like everything they do about the topics on which they decide to focus. I just wish they focused on some of the stuff thats really hurting the game. Like the way enemies die. Always the same, creating this monotonous stream thats not fun and feels the same regardless of factions. There should be reasons to think before shooting or using an offensive ability beyond just "how many enemies am I going to hit?". There should be attacks that can be skillfully interrupted during telegraphs and maybe damage the enemy/AoE bypassing defences. Or a reason to use parkour to get to a good spot on the map, giving up random blazing around the place in favour of a more tactical approach.

The game right now is just DPS-drilling your way past all (enemies AND maps alike) as fast as possible. There are no reasons to change or deviate from that. Scaling is linear, punch through is too expensive and underpowered, enemies too spammy and spawn in hordes of mobs that aren't different from each other enough. If they focused on that i think they can really improve the gameplay. Searching for secrets doesn't reward enough to compensate the time lost either, especially as far as XP goes. I think also the fact that leveling S#&$ after forma takes as much time as the first time around is really hurting it too.

In any case I do dig more lore as well as improving the new player experience. Not sure the whole pet thing is worth the time it takes, but eh... I am sure it will be a fun little gimmick. Just... not sure it's worth the investment.