Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I Upgrade My Laptop?

NICKTHECHAMP11

Question

Asus x501a Specs (please don't laugh at my pain)

Intel Core I3(2nd gen) 2350m/2.3ghz Dual Core 3MB cache Chipset:Mobile Intel HM76 Express

Current RAM: 4gb DDR3 SDRAM  SO DIMM 204 pin

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Okay, so I want to get some opinions from you guys. I'm sure there are many here that are much more knowledgable

about computers and upgrading them than I am. With that in mind, I want to know if I should upgrade my ram to 8gb using a corsair vengeance stick I was looking at. Would that improve my overall computer performance, my Warframe FPS, both, or neither? Any cheap upgrades you can recommend would be great too (I cant build a pc from scratch, I dont have that big of a budget).

13 answers to this question

Intel 3000 relies on your ram, instead of vram like other dedicated GPUs, so yes just upgrading your ram will improve performance quite significantly, if you're on a budget.

I play WF on an Intel 3000 also, i5 and 8GB ram, and I can crank it up to 720p. It's very playable but it will dip below 30 sometimes.

First off try optimizing your laptop, that would be better then spending money on new stuff.  I use a program called "Razer Game Booster" and it has worked very well for me.

Yeah I had it i guess i could reinstall it and give it a try but I'm looking to get a good consistent fps as close to 60 as possible

Intel 3000 relies on your ram, instead of vram like other dedicated GPUs, so yes just upgrading your ram will improve performance quite significantly, if you're on a budget.

I play WF on an Intel 3000 also, i5 and 8GB ram, and I can crank it up to 720p. It's very playable but it will dip below 30 sometimes.

If I stayed at low graphics like I am now, do you think 60 fps at a constant rate is possible?

Upgrading laptops is tricky and you can't do a ton. Getting an ssd would help loading times in Warframe and such, while more ram wouldn't make any noticable difference unless you're multitasking. 

Thanks target I'll look into upgrading the ssd as long as it doesnt set me back too far. As for upgrading, there is someone on youtube with my same exact model who has several videos based on upgrading different parts (lucky me!)

well as long as I'm close im happy

this is a pic i took for a bug report before. it was on 900x600 with low settings.

8mCJP.jpg

you can see the fps is around 40-50

this one is for another bug report. 720p, dynamic lighting, AA and some others I forgot, all turned on.

ff7a62ba5f.jpg

avg 30fps here

Hey 30fps is good enough for me. I'm surprised it can run at 720p at all. 60 lol?