Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is The Idea Of Mono-Tenno And Poly-Tenno More Obscure Than Ever?

GaleRoar

With the new UI, it seems to me that we play only one Tenno, seemingly equipping different Warframes, but with Harvester, if you fail the escape mission, you are able to use your other Warframes, but not the captured one, along with the captured weapons.

It should also be worth mentioning that Mastery Level works both ways, as it is only for better equipment, which is explained if it is either one Tenno or a qualified group of equally skilled Tenno.

While Focus seems to work for Mono-Tenno, not much about its new concept is out, which doesn't make it compelling evidence for now. The same is also said about the Devstream in which DE stated that the player controls multiple Tenno, as that may have changed, evident to the new UI. And with the Ember lore, it seems that the "children" (future Tenno) were only able to control adequate fire before they magnified such a power in the Warframes, but it is a bit unclear, so this would require a bit of speculation.

However, one can also take this quote from the Arid Fear Victory lore.

Every time we tear a Tenno corpse from its metal womb we find nothing to explain their power.

We certainly know that they are not some kind of alien sludge monster, which is also proven with the cryopods, so it's rather hard to explain the switch between a Saryn and a Nekros. Unless we control a male and female one, but that would also be hard to explain Nekros and Rhino.

Then again, lore has always been obscure and sometimes contradicting, so...

Discuss.

It would be so much easier (but also less interesting) if we got a straightforward answer from DE...

Edited by GaleRoar

which is also proven with the cryopods, 

Not really. It's still a placeholder, they just wanted Naked Nick out of there.

The easiest answer? Tenno are mild shapeshifters and don't give a crap about biological sex outside of aesthetics.

Like a great many things, there is no clear explanation available to be had. Nothing official at least.

Of the two, I'd prefer the truth be that each player has command and switches between Multiple Tenno. The idea of the player being a soul jumping between bodies is less appealing.

Like a great many things, there is no clear explanation available to be had. Nothing official at least.

Of the two, I'd prefer the truth be that each player has command and switches between Multiple Tenno. The idea of the player being a soul jumping between bodies is less appealing.

Like in YouTube series crafted by Corridor Digital called "Sync"?

Shaaaaaapeshiiiiiiiftiiiiiing.

I personally feel that having a stable is the less appealing option. I wanna play me, dangit. I can be a shapeshifting void demon.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Tenno are just "spirits", they exist only as a counciousness. Warframes are biomechanical constructs, that allow them to maintain some kind of physical form. Every Tenno can jump freele between the Frames.

Or the Frames make a family, but they have only one set of car keys, so only one of them can use the ship at a time. That doesn't explain Focus, though.

I feel, like DE is kind of losing grasp on it... Focus and ships are definitely a mono-tenno ones. However the variety of shapes and genders speak for poly-tenno. They started making things not always thinking about how would it fit the lore, and that's the result.

Edited by Angius

While I loved that series, that wouldn't make much sense, as he switched bodies upon death. Even if you lose all four revives, you are still able to keep going through missions regardless of failure.

Although, each Warframe has its own revives, but then again, that can go for either side.

Edit: Also need to mention I know it doesn't have to exactly follow Sync.

Edited by GaleRoar

The same is also said about the Devstream in which DE stated that the player controls multiple Tenno

[citation needed]

No, for real, show me where that happened. "One of the streams" is not a valid answer, either.

Also where do all the people come from to wear my warframes immediately after they're built? Tenno aren't a crafting component in the suits after all.

I really dislike the poly tenno thing. It makes me feel like I am not taking the role of a space ninja, but instead playing space karl marx coordinating an ever increasing amount of space communists who all have the same clan, the same name, the same XP, the same weapons, and the same pools of currency. All of these belong to 20 some people who decided they can run around in my warframes without my permission. I don't even know who these people are, because they certainly aren't me, right? There's only one of me.

So, yeah, that's me being dramatic, but, that's how I see it.

Edited by VegetableBasket

I always have supported Poly-Tenno.

With the whole ship thing, i'd like to think that the rest of your roster are back on the other part of your ship, and the switching function given is just a convenience via teleporting or something.

I prefer this as well. Shapeshifting and gender swapping just isn't that appealing to me.

I feel that DE could incorporate playing multiple Tenno by taking that idea of your other Tenno and placing on your ship. I honestly thought it could work by you actually setting poses and actions for the Tenno to do, but it reloads it without that Tenno and with your previous Tenno when you switch Warframe.

[citation needed]

No, for real, show me where that happened. "One of the streams" is not a valid answer, either.

I did discredit this later, as it's a rather old statement that might not reflect DE's current view on the subject. That's why I decided that finding the Devstream would not be necessary. However, I believe it was a Devstream around U8-U9?

Well, besides, cryo-dudes, the oddity of the captured frame, every Valkyr for some reason needing Corpus doo-dads installed to &!$$ (every one of) her off (so... we're torturing our own now?) and the fact that Valkyr's default helm looks suspiciously caved in where I THINK an eye socket should be now that I look at it (or her head is really small) there still isn't really anything solid either way.  

Logic says each Warframe has a different peep inside.  Kind of like how games like Elsword, Grand Chase, Vindictus, and the like all have multiple characters with specific classes and roles, warframe's here are logically no different.  It's reaching for excuses to justify likewise, that each warframe is more like a lifeless body and the player is a single soul bringing them to life one at a time, but DE has never really made any attempt to beat down that hypothesis either, meaning it can't be ruled off the table.  

All we got is the lore that does exist, which factually presents there's an actual body inside a warframe and caches of sleeping Tenno, though we don't know if those sleeping Tenno are already equipped with their warframe, or are as naked as Pajama Pete.  Not even entirely sure the guys we protect in defend missions are exactly Tenno, just allies of the Lotus, considering their pod is Corpus in design, not Orokin.

Mind, I don't think DE will ever really intentionally clear this up.  The story is primarily told through the perspective of the Grineer, the Corpus, and maybe the infested and the Orokin.  Tenno are just killing machines.  We'll likely never know much more than the former two empires.

Edited by Littleman88

I'm not familiar.

Shaaaaaapeshiiiiiiiftiiiiiing.

I personally feel that having a stable is the less appealing option. I wanna play me, dangit. I can be a shapeshifting void demon.

Yeah, even the shapeshifting thing isn't appealing to me. I just prefer the Tenno to exist at least a little closer to whats Human. I think things are more interesting that way.

I feel that DE could incorporate playing multiple Tenno by taking that idea of your other Tenno and placing on your ship. I honestly thought it could work by you actually setting poses and actions for the Tenno to do, but it reloads it without that Tenno and with your previous Tenno when you switch Warframe.

It's all up in the air. If they really wanted to they could claim that your 'other Tenno' all patiently wait their turn in Cryo stasis in the Liset. Hell, it might even by neat if the Liset was upgradeable so that you could have access to such a room to see your friendly Tenno in their pods.

I prefer this as well. Shapeshifting and gender swapping just isn't that appealing to me.

I just want them to be a little more Human and a little less Alien. It really just comes down to me preferring that sort of sci-fi.

[citation needed]

Also where do all the people come from to wear my warframes immediately after they're built? Tenno aren't a crafting component in the suits after all.

I really dislike the poly tenno thing. It makes me feel like I am not taking the role of a space ninja, but instead playing space karl marx coordinating an ever increasing amount of space communists who all have the same clan, the same name, the same XP, the same weapons, and the same pools of currency. All of these belong to 20 some people who decided they can run around in my warframes without my permission. I don't even know who these people are, because they certainly aren't me, right? There's only one of me.

So, yeah, that's me being dramatic, but, that's how I see it.

A hell of a long time ago - and only once - Steve discredited the Gender-swap Frame skins request by saying that each Tenno is their respective Gender because that is the Gender of the person in the suit.

It's as close to a strait declaration as there ever has been going one way or another and it was a comment said in passing about a subject only partially related.

I'd also like to point out nothing is cannon until it is in the game. And given the game is in Beta anything in the game is subject to change

Absolutely true!

I'd also like to point out nothing is cannon until it is in the game. And given the game is in Beta anything in the game is subject to change

I believe that is undeniable beauty of the game. The fact that anything can change, be it by the whim of DE, or by the outcries of the community.

I feel, like DE is going to just leave this in the air, not adressing it at all. First they create a system, that supports poly-tenno, then they add systems that supports mono-tenno and pretty much eliminates the poly-tenno possiblity lore-wise. I think, that they don't have any idea how to deal with it either.

I feel, like DE is going to just leave this in the air, not adressing it at all. First they create a system, that supports poly-tenno, then they add systems that supports mono-tenno and pretty much eliminates the poly-tenno possiblity lore-wise. I think, that they don't have any idea how to deal with it either.

Personally, I think they're trying to cater to both sides, but somewhat messing it up a bit. However, this does let the player speculate for themselves and lets the community have discussions such as these.

I respect peoples opinions, but I find it boring to force social norms of today onto something that is affected by technology that alters the definitions of what it means to be human. Warframes art and design is magnificently unconventional, why should the character narrative be the same bland, and frankly unlikely sci-fi trope, recycled from romantic fiction. Why bother even having it set in the future and space if its basically going to be a conventional action adventure romance story? 

I post these citation to suggest, my evolving theory that it is both a MonoTenno and PolyTenno combination that perhaps best explains the nature of the Tenno and the frames.

DevStream 25 at about minute 34 [DE]Steve says, the Tenno was human and a Tenno in the Warframe. That could mean that they aren't remote controlled, but I still hypothesis that a Tenno clone is built for the purpose of inhabiting the frame remotely. The Tenno clone is made when the frame is constructed. Its that or a single Tenno's body is morphed when putting on the suit, assuming that they aren't remote controlled. But, Steve definitely stated you are playing a singe Tenno. 
[DE]Steve, also said that he is intentionally keeping it vague as to keep the game accessible to as many people and cultures as possible. I read that as, he doesn't want to explicitly say that you play a character that potentially gender swaps. I find that funny because, even if you play many Tenno, you the player, immerse in the role of the opposite sex, unless you forgo using those frames.

DevStream 22 at about 17 minutes in, 17:45 is about where he says it, is where he refers to the player as, "What you are, your Tenno." Now, I agree this still leaves room for interpretation, but I find it strong enough to leave room for my hypothesis. And that hypothesis would help answer a lot of confusing issues. If the remote theory is true, then is possible that the void acts as a sort of stream of consciousness to the frame, and the frames are built, custom made to be receivers. Channeling the Tenno, and the power of the void, expressed in the form of the frames archetype, Excalibur, Rhino, Nyx, etc.

I get that the change in perspective, and the social norm violations may be off putting and disruptive to your sense of immersion, but really the effort is worth it. If you think about it, we have been rehashing the same experience over and over, whatever the medium. Just consider the possibility of Warframe's narrative be as bold as its art and design.

Tenno seem to be mutated men and women inside an organic suit with each being a distinct character,each with a different past.As a game mechanic we the players can collect them all but it doesnt mean we are them.If anything I take it as you can play as excalibur but he is his own person, then you can switch to nova who wasnt even around when excalibur was born as a game mechanic.You might be able to collect them but for all we know the story might just play out from the perspective of your starter saving his brothers and sisters.Just my opinion of course.

Tenno seem to be mutated men and women inside an organic suit with each being a distinct character,each with a different past.As a game mechanic we the players can collect them all but it doesnt mean we are them.If anything I take it as you can play as excalibur but he is his own person, then you can switch to nova who wasnt even around when excalibur was born as a game mechanic.You might be able to collect them but for all we know the story might just play out from the perspective of your starter saving his brothers and sisters.Just my opinion of course.

I can see how you might see it that way, but that is missing a whole lot of context that throw's all notions about the mono/poly Tenno in question. In the end it does come down to what you feel and think. I just invite people to think differently.

It has always been one Tenno wearing many frames and they have never said other wise.

I dont understand where this idea came from becasue DE has never stated this.

All information about this subject revolves around one Tenno.

They have not explained what Tenno and that brings up some questions but the idea that you are one Tenno wearing frames is pretty set in stone.

Yeah, even the shapeshifting thing isn't appealing to me. I just prefer the Tenno to exist at least a little closer to whats Human. I think things are more interesting that way.

See, I'm still gonna have to disagree. I find it more interesting to explore the absolute limits of the human condition. What's so interesting about just another human in a powersuit? Transhumanism is fascinating, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by ValhaHazred