Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Summer Sale Warframe Skins

Renathy

The Steam Summer Sale is a massive list of discounts on almost every game available on the Steam platform. - A year ago, Valve, the developer of Steam, has implemented Trading Cards. These Trading Cards could be obtained by playing certain games, and with the right amount of a set of cards from a specific game you could craft profile badges, profile backgrounds, and chat emoticons. When the Steam Summer Sale started Valve added Summer specific Trading Cards, which could be obtained by spending a certain quantity of money on games; or the Steam Market; or even by voting on game deals. These new Trading Cards would grant you exclusive items for some free-to-play titles, apart from some new badges, backgrounds and emoticons.

Warframe was one of them, and as many of you already know, the Phased skins were released. By now the Phased skin prices have lowered significantly, but there is just one problem: Each item from the Steam Summer Sale had a different quality, going from Common to Precious. An item of a higher quality meant a lower drop chance, which in turn would raise the item's price on the Market.

Currently, the highest priced item is the Phased Tigris skin, going up to around 35€, but that's just from the Phased skin list. The new skins are the Rubedo skins, and since they're relatively new, the highest price goes to the Rubedo Viper skin, which goes as high as about 170€. Of course the price is certain to lower given the time, but sadly, it's still going to be quite expensive, much like the Phased Tigris skin.

I wanted to suggest a different way of obtaining these skins, given that many players do not own a Steam account, or they do not enjoy Steam, and the item prices are based on the community, which will always be an atrocious system. I'm not demanding these skins, as I already have the Phased skins that I wanted, and I'm not far from obtaining the new Rubedo Plated skins. Steam is not an obligatory platform needed to play Warframe, and these skins should be made available in the game one way or another.

Edited by JRMC

Those skins are Steam exclusive, deal with it. There are PS4 exclusives, there will be Xbone exclusives, there are Steam eclusives. Nothing keeps anybody from creating a fake Steam account, buying those skins and uninstalling Steam.

Besides, that's most probably also some kind of deal with Valve, so it's not only DE's decision.

Those skins are Steam exclusive, deal with it. There are PS4 exclusives, there will be Xbone exclusives, there are Steam eclusives. Nothing keeps anybody from creating a fake Steam account, buying those skins and uninstalling Steam.

I don't think you understood any of it. Firstly, Steam is a software on the PC platform. One thing is the items being platform exclusive, the other is them being software exclusive. I couldn't care about platform exclusive items, and they have any right to have exclusive items. It promotes the game more than anything. Secondly, I did mention the item prices, and how bad community market management can be. I'm pretty sure most of the community would not spend 35€ for a skin of a rarely used weapon, unless they're some sort of collectors.

Edited by JRMC

While I do support the idea of this, I want to believe that this is partially done so that Steam and Warframe benefit. I think, because Steam has a large amount of users, that the mere presence of the skins and people thinking, "Ooh, what's that? That looks interesting!" will draw people to the Warframe community (seeing as it's Warframe exclusive, and one thing leads to another and BAM! New Tenno recruit.) But this in turn helps DE in another way. Users buying platinum. With more users comes more people potentially buying platinum. Steam benefits by having people come join steam to get these items because they are found only on Steam's Warframe community. These new Steam users will then probably buy other games from Steam, if they choose to do so. So, it's a win-win company wise IF it is kept Steam exclusive.

But, like you said... People who do not like steam or do not have it/refuse to download it will be at a loss. Maybe, just maybe, these skins could be traded in game. Or they could be EXTREMELY rare rewards from alerts. Now, I do actually have quite a few of the skins, Phased and Rubedo Plated ones. In fact, I usually put extras of anything I have on the market. I do agree, that letting players decide the minimum and maximum prices of the Steam Item economy is quite an atrocious system. I've seen people try to market very common trading cards for more than $600 (Roughly 900 Euros, or about 1200 British Pounds).

However, these items are marketable on steam, allowing for a sort of 'cash-back' system, if you will. So, you buy some warframe platinum, and you get a card, or a phased/rubedo skin, and you can either sell it, or keep it. These items are basically the toy at the bottom of the cereal box. A little extra present from DE to you for giving them money in exchange for platinum.

While I do support the idea of this, I want to believe that this is partially done so that Steam and Warframe benefit. I think, because Steam has a large amount of users, that the mere presence of the skins and people thinking, "Ooh, what's that? That looks interesting!" will draw people to the Warframe community (seeing as it's Warframe exclusive, and one thing leads to another and BAM! New Tenno recruit.) But this in turn helps DE in another way. Users buying platinum. With more users comes more people potentially buying platinum. Steam benefits by having people come join steam to get these items because they are found only on Steam's Warframe community. These new Steam users will then probably buy other games from Steam, if they choose to do so. So, it's a win-win company wise IF it is kept Steam exclusive.

That is indeed correct. While it does promote Warframe on Steam, these items, as you said yourself, could also be available in the game. Steam users would join Warframe, and support Digital Extremes, but those who do not own a Steam account would also have access to these items. So, basically, it's still a win.

While I do support the idea of this, I want to believe that this is partially done so that Steam and Warframe benefit. I think, because Steam has a large amount of users, that the mere presence of the skins and people thinking, "Ooh, what's that? That looks interesting!" will draw people to the Warframe community (seeing as it's Warframe exclusive, and one thing leads to another and BAM! New Tenno recruit.) 

Funny enough the phased syandana got me interested in warframe and I started buying every prime access they churned out ever since.

I really hope DE et al get over this blue-and-black-is-PS4 idea, because this stuff severely pales in comparison to the piles and piles of really freakin' cool PC exclusive items.  So far we're looking at a scarf that's too dark to see in most of the game, we can't change its colors, and on the horizon is a Braton variant?  Yay.

PS4 players don't want to be an army of blue-and-black dressing up like the console they're playing on.  It's just a machine.  We're people who like cool things.

We can't even change the colors on this Obsidian Yomo Syandana.  If you want it to match anything you're using, you'll have to change for the silly scarf.  Extremely lackluster opening offering, and I hope they change gears on the Renown packs fast.

Edited by (PS4)Hooligantuan