Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Does Not Need Dogs

OcelotVampire

1.So let me get this straight, I can have my sentinel that can snipe enemies and recharge my shields, OR I can have a dog that sits there licking himself instead. Tough call.

2.So we'll be in wave 35 on a def mission and need our frost to globe the pod and instead he's petting his dog while saying "who's a good boy". Awesome.

3.I think you guys are going WAY too far with this whole raising animal thing and listening to the wrong people here. Sure it might be cute to have a pet dog, but this isn't

hello kitty island warframe here.

4.If you want to raise virtual pets, there are plenty of games out there that have a better selection of pets to offer. 

5.This is a space ninja game, lets try and keep it that way.

1A. I don't remember sentinels being able to snipe something remotely a mile a way. Maybe if you don't reject it if you ever get one it will do something.

2A. I don't recall most tenno being that unfocused.

3A. I also don't recall hello kitty having any animals biting the hek out of grineer's necks.

4A. In which game can you get a fuzzy bat-dog thing?

5A. Why can't ninjas have pets when police, soldiers, and aliens can have pets?

1A. I don't remember sentinels being able to snipe something remotely a mile a way. Maybe if you don't reject it if you ever get one it will do something.

3A. I also don't recall hello kitty having any animals biting the hek out of grineer's necks.

This, ALL of this.

you forgot to mention that we're space ninjas that have rocket launchers, grenade launchers, light machine guns, the ability to manipulate anti-matter (which by the way, when it comes into contact into ANY form of matter, it goes kaboom), the ability to stomp so hard we stop time and use loud as hell weapons which alert everyone when shot... I think having a pet dog is more normal than all of the above

Edited by Ninjaboy00

I agree with the OP. I just believe that does not fit into the game - and sure I can "not pursue it" as some others suggest, but then I will still see other players taking their mutts to the mission and I consider it disturbing for people who wish to take the universe/lore etc. seriously. 

If it's already there though - I'd just add a kennel to the Dojo or some other pet holding structure where you can interact with it.  

Edited by Sevnir

No, cats are humans' best friends. Dogs are just slaves/the ultimate submissives.

lol

seriously though I want you to try to make a dog do somthing it doesn't want to do, and a small dog doesn't count

Edited by shepshifter

I can't say I entirely disagree, I haven't been particularly excited about the Kubrows from the get-go and question how fitting they're going to be in a game about space ninjas. Not to mention they're gonna have to have some pretty impressive tricks to compete with a Sentinel.

On the other hand, I'm not against them either, and am willing to at least give them a shot and see how useful they actually are.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Actually it's interactions between it and it's master are probably fine, other people ehhh not so much.

Its interaction with its master will be one of dominant (the master) and submissive (the dog). Its interaction with other people largely depends upon what it has been trained to do. If it is trained to react with hostility, it will do so (until another dominant person comes around and asserts their dominance). Dogs will (usually) try to assert dominance over any new person they come into contact with. Training a dog almost always includes nipping that in the bud and establishing yourself as the master (dom) and it the slave (sub). This 'sorta' works with humans too, but humans are usually less likely to assume such clear cut roles (not in my experiences anyway). Even in BDSM clubs, the submissives will often set up a dominance hierarchy amongst themselves (same goes for the dominants). My source on this last bit is credible, but sorta embarrassing. 

Read your post wrong, read it as if you were saying it and it's master didn't get along, my mistake (probably should take a break from reading/replying on my phone) And thanks for relaying the pack structure (term used to describe hierarchy of canine species) and how it can relate to humans. (Even though I was already aware.)

Edited by Drake_Gunn

you forgot to mention that we're space ninjas that have rocket launchers, grenade launchers, light machine guns, the ability to manipulate anti-matter (which by the way, when it comes into contact into ANY form of matter, it goes kaboom), the ability to stomp so hard we stop time and use loud as hell weapons which alert everyone when shot... I think having a pet dog is more normal than all of the above

I left that out because I felt as if I didn't need to point this out as these elements stick out like a light in the darkness :3

Cat is a traitorish animal.  

How so?

Read your post wrong, read it as if you were saying it and it's master didn't get along, my mistake (probably should take a break from reading/replying on my phone) And thanks for relaying the pack structure (term used to describe hierarchy of canine species) and how it can relate to humans. (Even though I was already aware.)

Okay.

Am I the only person who thinks that spending all this time and effort on this a bad thing? I personaly am not a dog person. It was my understanding a while back that the devs said no we cannot add emotes or dancing because it did not fit into the warframe universe, yet raising animals does? So let me get this straight, I can have my sentinel that can snipe enemies and recharge my shields, OR I can have a dog that sits there licking himself instead. Tough call. So we'll be in wave 35 on a def mission and need our frost to globe the pod and instead he's petting his dog while saying "who's a good boy". Awesome. All this so I can have a dog that digs up the ground for 100 extra ferrite? Wow the pay off. Or runs and jumps an enemy that I probably could have killed 10 times before it got close to it? Count me in for playing fetch with my dog and my penta. My only hope is that we can eject our unwanted pets into space. Then it might all be worth it. What's that newly formed ring around earth? Oh, it's all my unwanted kobrows.

I think you guys are going WAY too far with this whole raising animal thing and listening to the wrong people here. Sure it might be cute to have a pet dog, but this isn't hello kitty island warframe here. If you want to raise virtual pets, there are plenty of games out there that have a better selection of pets to offer. This is a space ninja game, lets try and keep it that way.

We could have had many of the other features promised by now if not for wasting time on adding dogs to the game. I would like prime everything instead. I'd like more cinematics, more lore, more enemies, new weapons, new frames. Not smelly dogs that stink up my ship and pee in the corner because I smacked it too many times with my rolled up tenno newspaper.

P.S. sorry for all the aggresion towards this, I've just held my tongue for too long on this matter and it seems you guys are dumping more and more into this feature. Maybe I'd be more onboard with it if we could get a pet eagle or something instead.

rating this up because I do feel as if its also a huge waste of time and is ultimately extremely stupid looking and only makes the game look even more silly and ridiculous than it already does >_> only game developers that I know of that focuses so heavily on new crap and even less on working on core mechanics of the game. 

you would think that by how often they add new content that this game would cease to be called a beta. I am so tired of people calling it a beta you have no idea ~_~

Edited by grillv20

Cat is a solitary animal. Dog is a pack animal... turns out that makes a difference in their psychology and natural instincts.

Also, there are dogs that were specifically bred to hunt and kill lions. Yay for teamwork. Either way, cat is useful for catching mice... which you can't make it do.. it just does it. Dogs were bred for a huge number of different purposes. So it doesn't make a sense to have cat companion.. as cats were never used for hunting since they don't work together in groups.

I'm all for diversity, but the cat people are really crazy on these forums..

On topic: You don't really have to use them. And I think that it will be a net benefit for the game, since pets are very popular. Hence why I think it's not a time wasted. And Warframe is really silly already... common we have clown frame (Vauban) and a frame that turns into a puddle and conjures a field of tentacles. That's pretty silly.

Edited by LocoWithGun

ultimately extremely awesome looking and only makes the game look even more cool and fantastic than it already does >_> only game developers that I know of that focuses so heavily on new hotness, all while still working on core mechanics of the game. 

FTFY

Am I the only person who thinks that spending all this time and effort on this a bad thing? I personaly am not a dog person. It was my understanding a while back that the devs said no we cannot add emotes or dancing because it did not fit into the warframe universe, yet raising animals does? So let me get this straight, I can have my sentinel that can snipe enemies and recharge my shields, OR I can have a dog that sits there licking himself instead. Tough call. So we'll be in wave 35 on a def mission and need our frost to globe the pod and instead he's petting his dog while saying "who's a good boy". Awesome. All this so I can have a dog that digs up the ground for 100 extra ferrite? Wow the pay off. Or runs and jumps an enemy that I probably could have killed 10 times before it got close to it? Count me in for playing fetch with my dog and my penta. My only hope is that we can eject our unwanted pets into space. Then it might all be worth it. What's that newly formed ring around earth? Oh, it's all my unwanted kobrows.

I think you guys are going WAY too far with this whole raising animal thing and listening to the wrong people here. Sure it might be cute to have a pet dog, but this isn't hello kitty island warframe here. If you want to raise virtual pets, there are plenty of games out there that have a better selection of pets to offer. This is a space ninja game, lets try and keep it that way.

We could have had many of the other features promised by now if not for wasting time on adding dogs to the game. I would like prime everything instead. I'd like more cinematics, more lore, more enemies, new weapons, new frames. Not smelly dogs that stink up my ship and pee in the corner because I smacked it too many times with my rolled up tenno newspaper.

P.S. sorry for all the aggresion towards this, I've just held my tongue for too long on this matter and it seems you guys are dumping more and more into this feature. Maybe I'd be more onboard with it if we could get a pet eagle or something instead.

DE said they approve of "emotes" but not the "dancing". DE even said they might put in gestures as emotes like signalling to go forward and etc.

Well.... If you don't like them, don't get them. You are not forced to go through with the "quest" to get the Kubrow.

From the looks of the Devstream they can do more like attack enemies or hold them off. But from what I can see, at the moment, it can only hold off one. OR possibly still polishing up and they can knockdown multiple enemies. No confirmation yet.

Sentinels are also not very strong. Why? They have to have a duplicate of the mods in order to be even somewhat useful. I say somewhat because their base damage is laughable already. They provide some support, but even then, it's not that helpful. Shield replenishing is fine but not in high level missions (40+). Most people use are the Carriers for picking up loot.

I haven't really seen anyone in a serious game or any serious game ever stop to pet their pets in a fight. In any MMO, I have always seen people doing their own thing while the pet supports the owner or dies trying, and the owner will either continue doing what he/she is doing and ignore the pet or actually try to buy time and revive the pet. But I have never seen anyone stop in the middle of a fight to pet their pets.

If you do see someone doing that, then if they die, I would let them die and not revive them.

If anything, limit the pet interactions like petting to clan dojos or when you're in your own ship. Or not, it's up to DE, but if we're on a defense or survival mission and I see someone stopping just to pet their Kubrows, I'm ignoring them.

This is NOT a space ninja game. The new Warframes that have been released DO NOT resemble anything ninja-like at all. At best we are just mercenaries. Why? We have a tank (Rhino), a necromancer, a paladin (more like a satyr/druid), a berserker, and someone who looks/resembles a pirate (Hydroid).... and a couple Warframe that resemble mages by their model design (Volt and Frost with their coat tails)...really? I don't see how that's "space ninja".

Which is why I said we're mercenaries, especially with the invasions and the Dark Sector conflicts. We call ourselves a group of "warriors" known as Tenno, but seriously.... I don't really see much "warrior" honor in some of our missions like assassinations and sabotage. That resembles something that spys or ninjas do, but as I have said, we don't really resemble "ninjas". Which is why I can only say we resemble mercenaries at best (barely an assassin organization but more leaning towards mercenary group). Having parkour abilities does not mean you're a ninja, or a space ninja.

Cat is a traitorish animal. 

How so?

I'm not sure if it's traitorish, but they do eat their owners if their owners die. But that's more of a survival instinct they have.

Edited by VoidWraith

People have been working alongside dogs for thousands of years. As hunting partners, fishing dogs, cattle drivers you name it. Dogs have been featured working alongside ninja in the media for a long time as well. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to see warframes fighting with kubrows at their side. As long as they do it with dignity.

I like kubrows but like a few other people I don't want them to turn into a second game. They are suppose to be a fun mechanic not a full blown pet sim. I was content with them just being a purchaseable sentinel a that would prob die in a few sec in high level content. A fun thing to play with but nothing serious. I like that they have more thought put into them than that, but it's starting to become melee 2.0. Everytime they get ready to release it they think of something else to add pushing it back 1-2 more weeks.

Sooo... your entire point is mainly based upon the fact that you're not a dog person? You won't mind other pets, just not... dogs?

I'm sorry, but that's just being silly.

First off people on this thread arguing cats vs dogs can go somewhere else please.

Second, I'm not attacking your right to raise dogs in real life. You may do so to your hearts content. I am however questioning the wisdom of spending so much time and resources on adding this rather pointless feature to the game. When they could be working on any of the 20 other things they already promised us in past streams. Sure I don't have to make a dog if I don't want to. I have played games where you have pets that were quite usefull, but only when they weren't programed to have a mind of their own. When I did play games where pets helped you only when you met a certain set of programed conditions. The pets would be rather useless and did not do what they were supposed to. This isn't fun at all.

There is also the fact that we ARE space ninjas, does the term "ninjas play for free" ring a bell? The tenno are covered in biometal to help take damage from enemy fire. We aren't immortal, but damn close to it. Now we'll have furry pets without armor that can take enemy fire? Does this not seem silly to anyone else? Why not just train a pack of dogs to run missions for me while I sit on my ship drinking greedy milk. Whats next after that, planting tenno plants? Harvesting said plants for items? Getting players to come and water my crops for me? Building a stable for my tenno cow?

Sentinels already have more usefull skills like the ability to take on multiple foes, to attack from a distance and recharge their masters shield. These skills did not have to be bred into them in an overly complex manner. When I said they are going to far with this feature, it seems that there is no end to how much they trying to make it fit into the warframe universe. I understand that to some this adds emotion to the tenno, however they could have added emotion to the tenno in a hundred other ways. How about showing us what we are fighting for. The people in the solar system that we save and our interactions with them. Their gratitude for our help. This would be inkeeping more with the established lore then added dogs simply because puppies are cute.

This ^

Cat is a solitary animal. Dog is a pack animal... turns out that makes a difference in their psychology and natural instincts.

Also, there are dogs that were specifically bred to hunt and kill lions. Yay for teamwork. Either way, cat is useful for catching mice... which you can't make it do.. it just does it. Dogs were bred for a huge number of different purposes. So it doesn't make a sense to have cat companion.. as cats were never used for hunting since they don't work together in groups.

I'm all for diversity, but the cat people are really crazy on these forums..

On topic: You don't really have to use them. And I think that it will be a net benefit for the game, since pets are very popular. Hence why I think it's not a time wasted. And Warframe is really silly already... common we have clown frame (Vauban) and a frame that turns into a puddle and conjures a field of tentacles. That's pretty silly.

That's not exactly true. Cats often form tight nit groups.

Dogs were bred for killing... not sure how that's relevant to this discussion. 

What an animal was bred for, and the number of different things it has been bred for do not dictate how good of a companion it is. 

Are you strictly referring to Domesticated Cats? Because there are numerous examples of big cats working together.

How are we crazy?