Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Idea: Vespa (A Wasp/bee-Themed Warframe, Bear With Me)

GTG3000

I'd say there should be a clear "casting" window that needs to be done to channel the attack, but the effect would be similar to that of Radial Disarm or Rhino Stomp. The effect SHOULD go away after a while, say about 5-10 seconds of air-swiping and DOT, but it should leave a significant footprint on the targets.

Well, I was thinking among the lines of her, first moving back and producing a hive from her thorax (sort of little ports where the stripes overlap) (if thorax is added), and then throwing her hands forth, sending the hive in that general direction (until it encounters enough enemies/obstacle...

Sorta http://fc02.devianta...r13-d610oe1.png (warning,bad doodling, I haven't had any practice in a while )

Of course it would take some time... Not too much, I hope.

The hive itself won't last that long, so I thought just having the effect last while it does... Maybe, for balance purposes, it would startle the enemies for a limited amount of time, and then drained their shields/made them rush around in panic (and eager to give you a few hits if you're just standing near)?

Okay, made a few sketches to show the shape/colour scheme (bear in mind that coulours aren't persistent ingame, only their placement.

The body

UIbjRUwl.png

I sort of thought about a bulky armour, that would have 'exosceleton' written all over it, with the chest armour being like a ball, carved away to leave holes for hands and such. Emphasis on 'like', not entirely round, more of a shell.

Those round things on the back are thrusters, used by the Aerial assist ability. I think the thorax like a thick cape would work, but to make that look any meaningful, we need a proper artist we don't have. Also, no, the third ability isn't intended to make her rush with her butt first, she strikes with her fist.

And, a little bigger pic of the helmet... Although it came out too similar to Mag, I had an idea to make a thin line in the center with visor-like widening over the eyes, but it looked awkward when I drew it.

hXVY9Dyl.png

Feedback is apreciated to a degree of narcotic addiction.

Edited by GTG3000

I dont think i can equivalate to drugs, but I really enjoy the helmet, it looks badass! Also like the thigh armor. The underarmor around the chest and abdominal region are a bit empty, but Im rather minimalist when it comes to detail, just a bit of "bioarmor" in that region and it's perfect. Back art is also eye appealing.

As for your animation for feral hive, that's essentially what I've been picturing, summon THE BEEEES and then point towards the unfortunate group and enjoy.

Well, you don't know us addicts that well then.)

I was thinking along the lines of, maybe, ember, but with a bulky armour vest? Her abdomen could use some love, I agree. I think back would use more detail, but I was afraid to screw up the picture... Maybe there could be Sticking out 'underwings', sort of like those stick-like things the insects use for balance?

The hands could use some work, but I don't have many ideas for them atm, everything I come up with looks like generic "hod does she lift them".

That isn't making them look ay less generic, lol.)

Thinking about adding these to the main post... Is it a terrible idea, or a horribly terrible idea?

Aerial assist 

http://i.imgur.com/kRw2C7d.png

1 - Increaces sprinting sped by a half, reducing stamina cost to 50%, but taking away ability to run without wasting it (you wouldn't want a pair of jet thrusters on your back drag you across the floor face-down either).

2 - Fortunately, sliding is a free action (and can go onuntil the ability is off).

3 - Jump at twice (can be reduced to 1.5 for balancing) the normal height! And continue on with running up the wall until the fuel is gone. Same goes for siting on one place.

4 - Jump in the air and glide your way across the room, without sharp drop that dragonkicking provides, steering towards your target gradually...

5 - ...or execute an instant turn in the direction you're aiming, sacrificing distance for convenience... Goes nicely along with melee landing, delivering guaranteed critical damage (specified by the melee weapon you're holding, also works for slide-melee combo)

Vengeful hive

http://i.imgur.com/66TvrXm.png

1 - Any enemy that attacks you, will sence the wrath of hive you surround yourself with, being stunned in place for the duration!

2 - ...Unless they are standing out of the ability's range...

3 - ...Or are protected by a shield, which will buy them some time to chip away at you until the hive gets it down. (Note, hold the mocking until no shielded enemies are in vicinity.)

Poison sting

http://i.imgur.com/HZC6ncK.png

1 - Crush a single target, penetrating it's puny armour and dealing massive damage!

2 - Made all the better by an immediate poisonous explosion to spread startlig DoT joy to everyone!

[edit]  stupid image limit... I'm not using your hosting for images, DE!

That was what i was hoping for when opening the thread.

Well, I love those scooters too (but bugger, I need a permit to drive one, since it has engine volume too high), but I was thinking more along lines of "latin for wasp"... Should I rename her maybe?

Hmmmmm. This is a nice concept. People still have problems of these things being too OP. But we can work it out.

Thank you. I like to think that my suggestions aren't too overpowered, but I can see, how they can be.

The uber would be about as OP, being launched from a distance and having big range, but I guess it can be negated by not stopping shielded enemies (And, maybe, damaging shields of the allies, or would that render it useless?) and not dealing actual damage to health.

Alt-uber would be overpowered... As long as you have enough range between you and target, but seeing how it's not usually available it would make it very situational.

Poison sting is too expensive to be truly gamebreaking, I think, and insta-killing one normal/elite with downed shields enemy doesn't really matter in usual situations, but it all depends on the damage dealt and their health, since making it too weak would make it useless on higher levels. I haven't yet managed to get a hold of saryn, so everyone feel free to enlighten me about how OP would a startling AoE DoT attack would be.

Vengeful hive is only as OP as it range allows. It's supposed to be primarily melee/close-to-medium range protection with instant response to anyone in range, but it could be launching homing projectiles upon attack instead, making the retribution slower, unlimited in range but limited with covers/flight time.

The first one would make any weapon with high normal damage/crit damage quite overpowered as long as you don't mind constantly shift-ctrl-melee, since the groundpound would actually take more time and be less acurate with higher jump/ fast gliding. Other than that, it's quite situational. And, I guess, would produce a rusher warframe, that can ignore need of running the stairs or taking any sort of a long path as long as there's high enough wall near the pirfall. But that could be treated by decreacing time, I guess?

I can't really say anything about the stats balancing, though.

Edited by GTG3000

I know I shouldnt...buuuut

no-not-the-bees-17790-1330404539-12.jpg

Anyway...it sounds cool if some tweaking is done, like your proposal for flight. It seems like a rather useless ability and a waste of energy when you have parkour, and access to all areas naturally. I say the same thing about Excaliber's super-jump.

They're in my eyes god!

I like the idea I would choose

Ability A

Ability B

Ability C

Alternate ability D

God ideas :)

Thank you. Alt-D was my original idea, but then there were other suggestions and I decided to change it...

Am I the only one, who clicked on this topic to see this?

Transformers___Vespa_FLCL_by_Dustoff_EX.

High-five for FLCL. No, you're far from being the only one as you can see by reading the thread. Also, that's a fanart, isn't it? I'd hate to miss out on something like that.

I terribly apologize for reposting. The broken post ticked me off.

Edited by GTG3000

Heh, thank you. I'm sure she'd be looking fine, but look of thorax-cape would depend on implementation completely. And I guess we have all elements, that are represented as elemental damage...

[edit]

Updated the op with a bodyshape sketch.

I disapprove =_=

edit: as for reasons other than my username - glide is too "meh", wasps do not glide, birds do. Wasps suspend mid-air and "strafe". Dunno about wasps but bees are known for ferociously protecting their hive without caring for their lives (fast berserk-like attacks?). Swarm is closer to queen type and not all of wasps live in colonies. Many wasps are parasitic and none of abilities in the list are (well poison sting seems a bit parasitic with its explode element but its "meh" cause if you make fuse long - it'll be ineffective, short - act like a grenade type ability.)

edit2: seeing vespa as short-range and ferocious but frail warframe, giving it extra jump height and a more base speed with same hp/shields as loki and reduced max stamina would be nice.

TL;DR queen warframe != wasp warframe

Edited by Vesper11

I see. 

Well, I just thought that actual 'flight', as in 'hovering above ground and acting like noclip is 1' would be sort of out of place for this game. Nothing stops her from having side-jumps, that would look  like just rushing to the side with help of the jets, but I decided to take into concept that she has those engines on her back, and work from there.

The hive abilities are suggested by other people in the thread (and I started with idea ofa sniper warframe, eh), but, as you can see, first three provide quite a hand with close-range ferocious melee style of play, but I dare you to make them more wasp-styled.

The fuse is the matter of ingame finetuning, and I can't say anything about that.

The uber CAN be replaced with some parasitic ability, but I'm out of ideas, and would greatly appreciate if you suggested anything.

thank you for your feedback.)

Edited by GTG3000

Some ideas might be...

Sting - short range (but not melee range) melee attack, but much weaker, cheaper (15?) and with ability to bounce (thus increasing its effective range) once staggering and dealing bonus damage at the point of impact, can be used again only after you " do ninja stuff" on any surface or fall on the ground (to avoid enemy stunlock and spam). The momentum at the end of "flight" is minimal to avoid free flight (cause its boring). Both movement and attack ability. Should be used with slow-firing weapons to shoot in-between the stings.

Teleporting spike - long range, medium-high speed projectile medium-high cost ability that severely damages single enemy and if it kills it you teleport to its place staggering and slightly damaging nearby enemies in small radius (also GORE!). Basically the poison sting but more costly... wait, no, 75 is a lot for poison sting and not guaranteed to stun enemies but with teleport (to avoid stunlocking bosses, yet does enough damage so you can use it against bosses).

Ferocity (needs a better name, lol) - High cost ability that prevents shield regen while its active and greatly reduces delays (like after jump attack delay) and staggers/stuns while increasing damage of "on the move" melee attacks (slash-dash, jump melee, wall melee etc) gives greater bonus to faster weapons (short melee gets more while heavy gets less because heavy is + this ability would be OP). Bonus gets much lower if attacks are repeated (to avoid bunny warframe...). It might give invul-frames during the attack animation to give warframe some survivability but not make it escape skill.

p.s. Wall climbing ability should be left to spider-like warframe (probably the parkour newbie friendly warframe), would be fun though.

p.p.s. I think Vespa shouldnt look like the bee, Rhino doesnt look like rhino but has the same feeling and looks awesome, even crabbity is somewhat unique.

Edited by Vesper11

Well, I'm not a fan of having limited abilities, even if other side of the coin is ability spamming. I imagine it'd be quite annoying, and probably make people groan every time a strong enemy appears just ast they destroyed the previous one. 

The teleport-spike sounds good, maybe it should just teleport the player instead? So that our melee warframe could scale the battlefield with ease.

Ferocity is a nice idea to have, but again, crippling limit jsut to force people into using different attacks isn't the answer in my opinion. That and that it's a bit complicated making such ability to make it worth all the mod slots/energy it would use up... It could replace normal melee with sort of... hand-spikes, beedril-like, that would deal huge AP damage and leave poison behind if the target survived.

About wall-climbing, it could be just another version of it for the spider warframe, like a stealthy equivalent. Again, I had this whole warframe in mind as an aerially free one, that with running uphill and gliding. It wouldn't be that op because, well, so far only defence misions offer such vast spaces you'd want to scale more than once, and I intended the lowered shields to keep players from just rushing ahead (but maybe they need to be lowered more). You already can skim a lot by dragonkicking and such, so this would be the logic extreme of that, and that's what I really hope to see in this game, aside from volts' speed (that is indeed fast, but doesn't last too much to experiment with it outside of 'I need to jump across' or 'I need to run up here', not to mention being way too speedy to make melee viable without missing 3 times out of 4). 

Appearance, well... I'm indeed not the designer of the warframes, so I just went with looks that kinda-sorta fitted the description and name. Just... It can look whatever, but it has to be bulky. It has to say 'it was inpired by a concept of an exosuit, wearing an exoskeleton with jetpack imbued'.

Well, yea, limiting is not fun and seeing some other abilities (Calis' slash, Rhinos' iron skin, Lokis' invis) spamming ultra abilities isnt frowned upon in this game. The reason for limiting flight is that its not really fun to press one button a few times and get where you want, it doesnt feel rewarding. Though on the other side that ability can be limited so that you can only reuse it if you made a bounce, it'll be energy costly but possible to climb wherever you want.

As for teleport skills - there are a few already, ash has teleport, loki can swap with enemy, killing -> teleporting is meant as pure offensive ability, where ash and loki can escape, vespa will use it to charge into group of enemies.

My problem with gliding was that it was "unwaspy", otherwise its fine and after all if devs like some ideas, they will implement them in the way they like, be it gliding or flying or borrowing through textures and falling into the void.