Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are People Complaining About Infested Ospreys?

SJunior

#1 Issue:  They always get stuck/sit somewhere on defense missions wasting huge amounts of time because the enemy marker also bugs out since they're flying units.

#2 Issue:  If there is any lag at all while you're on a squishy frame, you're dead.  The end.

#3 Issue: They don't seem to attack the pod on defense so I've been seeing players just go to spots ospreys can't reach and penta away until they have to come down to hunt the one osprey that keeps spawning inside of objects.  Oh yeah, it definitely changed how people play!

#4 Issue:  More subjective but I'm not a fan of the poison stacking.  Turning around and getting rolled because you have no idea if a poison cloud is actually 4 poison clouds or not is @(*()$ assinine imo.

They're poorly implemented and a half-assed attempt at changing the meta. 

Edit:  It's kind of reminiscent of grineer rollers and seekers of a while ago.  A bunch of people tout them as a 'challenge' but in reality they're just a S#&$ty band-aid for a much bigger problem.  They're frustrating and cheap and are buggy to boot.  Cool concept, irritating implementation.

Edited by Aethernet

Try adding a Maxed Antitoxin Mod. I usually run that on my Loki when playing infested missions. Also, bring Life Strike on your weapon to recover HP.

That -45% only helps to a point, when it comes to defense after around 25-30 waves the toxin is hopeless to survive and best avoided(thank god it doesnt proc the cryopod.)

Infested are a meant to overwhelm you with numbers of enemies. Taking chip damage because you were caught by surprise from the relentless rush of enemies. 
Now, a flying infested is actually a disadvantage to us because a lot of tile sets have over hangs they hide behind, as well as spawns that can put them behind us. They're outside the natural sightlines of infested as they are and it doesn't seem like very smooth gameplay to constantly have to glance up for them(unless you're Banshee and roleplay her as a metalhead headbanger). That's a straight constant annoyance for an entire mission. And coupled with the damage they deal it seems odd from a gameplay perspective that not only are they the most 'out of sight' enemy, but the most dangerous. They should be the ones to surprise us and distract us from the other infested around us, we should not be panicking the other infested around us are going to distract us from the ospreys. 

Also some people aren't used to that fact yet, that it's pretty suicidal to go Melee-only now.

Bringing the sword alone to a toxin fight? Bad idea.

It pretty much forces people to forget about Melee and use their guns as a master solution to everything, pretty contradictionary to what Melee 2.0 was all about.

Yep, thats one of the reasons why we need a quick fire button when  in melee stance....

DE. please make it happen ASAP.

Also some people aren't used to that fact yet, that it's pretty suicidal to go Melee-only now.

Bringing the sword alone to a toxin fight? Bad idea.

It pretty much forces people to forget about Melee and use their guns as a master solution to everything, pretty contradictionary to what Melee 2.0 was all about.

Melee 2.0 wasn't supposed to make players totally stop using guns. It was implemented to make melee weapons more viable. It sounds like you simply want to go from one extreme to another instead of players actively switching between both weapon genres.

If you know you're going to go against an enemy or an obstacle that's best suited for being shot at, bring at least a pistol. Or maybe use that heavily neglected 1 ability almost all warframes have that's ranged. Melee 2.0 was for balance, not for making melee overpowered enough to where guns aren't viable.

Either way, in the latest livestream, one of the devs commented on making melee jump attacks be "forward" instead of always downward. Until that's implemented, bring a damned pistol. Hell, bring throwing daggers for your secondary. Bam, you're still "ninja" while at the same time able to focus down those pesky flying enemies and wall/door traps.

I thought the issue was that you couldn't level up your melee weapon as efficiently if you brought a ranged option as well?  Cause, like, we're not ninjas.  If anything we're Space Knights (assuming anyone is old enough and read the now totally obscure comic book Rom from back in the day...)

Personally I'm digging them, they do spawn a bit much and I've had a few issues with their AI wherein they spam their poison dash, saturate a large room and wipe a group which, is hilarious yeah, but doesn't exactly seem intentional or intuitive.

As for why people are hating on them? Doesn't matter, just drink up.

K4KOW2G.png

I thought the issue was that you couldn't level up your melee weapon as efficiently if you brought a ranged option as well?  Cause, like, we're not ninjas.  If anything we're Space Knights (assuming anyone is old enough and read the now totally obscure comic book Rom from back in the day...)

That's a non-issue. If you bring only a melee weapon, you get all the exp that would have been given to your secondary and primary. But that goes just the same for having only a primary weapon equipped, or only a secondary. If you have all weapons equipped at once, then they all split the experience (of course said exp is from your teammates' kills)

Either way, if you want a weapon to level up, best thing to do is use it. But that doesn't mean you should use it exclusively. Every once in awhile your weapon of choice might not be viable. Hence why I say bring a pistol if you're trying to go only melee if you know you're going to be up against flying enemies/wall and door traps.

Edited by SoulEchelon

There are an awful lot of Oprey Hate threads out there, aren't there?

Anyway, I agree that you should always have at least one gun and a melee.  I don't get why they give you the option to leave two of your weapons behind when they are designing the game to punish anyone who does so.  Seems like a waste of effort to program the ability to leave them in the first place.

What I don't like is the feeling that many of the lower health/armor warframes have been made obsolete in infested missions now.  Perma-stealth Loki or dead in one pass?  Don't bring Loki!  Or Mag!  Or Nova!  Or....

Removing or limiting options is the reverse of bringing breadth and width to the game.

There are an awful lot of Oprey Hate threads out there, aren't there?

Anyway, I agree that you should always have at least one gun and a melee.  I don't get why they give you the option to leave two of your weapons behind when they are designing the game to punish anyone who does so.  Seems like a waste of effort to program the ability to leave them in the first place.

What I don't like is the feeling that many of the lower health/armor warframes have been made obsolete in infested missions now.  Perma-stealth Loki or dead in one pass?  Don't bring Loki!  Or Mag!  Or Nova!  Or....

Removing or limiting options is the reverse of bringing breadth and width to the game.

I don't think they're "punishing" people for bringing just one weapon. You can still do so anywhere you like - just be mindful that certain factions will hinder you if you're not ready for them.

Besides, like I said earlier, let's not forget Warframe abilities. Many warframes have ranged attacks that can deal with stuff melee might have problems with. Ash's shuriken immediately comes to mind.

As for low health warframes, I brought my Ember to all but one of my breeding grounds missions, and I ended up being the one saving everyone else...including Rhinos, Ash's, Lokis (of course), and so on. You just have to play smart. Conserve energy, keep tabs on enemies around you, take out those ospreys first, etc.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Honest question:  Can Ash's shuriken kill a horde of Osprey at a distance?  I have no clue.

And yes, you are being punished in some cases.  Melee is actually the preferred choice (or seemed like it always was anyway) for Defense against the infested because that is how they fought.  You get down by the objective and tank them into coming after you instead of the pod. now you can just forget about that.  Better to bring out Penta or the Ogris and just carpet bomb the area.  Lots and Lots of options there!

And for clarity, I mostly play exterminate.  I don't much like most of the other mission types.  And in both exterminate and Defense, you have to kill the enemy to the last man.  So yes, you are being punished for not bringing a gun with you if you have to kill hordes of flying enemies and have to take every one of them out to complete your mission.  Once more, I bring guns (usually snipers or hushed/silenced guns) because I continue in the failed and false belief that one day skill and patience will actually matter in this game.  They won't, but I prefer to cling to my illusions.  So the whole "Melee Only" argument is really just a means of philosophically testing the game's limits for me.

my problem with them is that the hitbox is not only small, but smaller then the visual hitbox, so you can aim perfectly and miss, and also they have more hp then any light infested unit, also the poison cloud does tons of damage that skips shields and goes straight to the health, also the hitbox of the cloud is massive, also each osprey can dash once every two seconds... which with 4 osprys can mess up a squad full of rhinos buffed up with defensive mods

Honest question:  Can Ash's shuriken kill a horde of Osprey at a distance?  I have no clue.

And yes, you are being punished in some cases.  Melee is actually the preferred choice (or seemed like it always was anyway) for Defense against the infested because that is how they fought.  You get down by the objective and tank them into coming after you instead of the pod. now you can just forget about that.  Better to bring out Penta or the Ogris and just carpet bomb the area.  Lots and Lots of options there!

And for clarity, I mostly play exterminate.  I don't much like most of the other mission types.  And in both exterminate and Defense, you have to kill the enemy to the last man.  So yes, you are being punished for not bringing a gun with you if you have to kill hordes of flying enemies and have to take every one of them out to complete your mission.  Once more, I bring guns (usually snipers or hushed/silenced guns) because I continue in the failed and false belief that one day skill and patience will actually matter in this game.  They won't, but I prefer to cling to my illusions.  So the whole "Melee Only" argument is really just a means of philosophically testing the game's limits for me.

So what, you'd rather Infested simply always be the easiest faction in the game? Well I got news for you. The ospreys are only the start to ranged infested enemies that will be joining the fray.

Melee has always been dangerous. It's inherent. And pointing out Penta or Ogris isn't going to help your stand at all. In almost every occasion, you can substitute Penta or Ogris for any weapon in the game and say they're better at it. Comparing them to melee is just asinine.

You can keep throwing out all your woes and your beliefs that "melee only" isn't viable anymore just because every faction has ranged/flying enemies now, but I'll just keep proving you and other naysayers wrong by bringing my Orthos wielding, 300/580 shields/health, high powered yet low efficiency statted Ember into the fray and survive because I learned how to change up my tactics and play smart, instead of complaining about every difficulty change all the time.

And with that, I go to bed.

Edited by SoulEchelon

People are used to loading up on shields and just standing in one place shooting it seems.

So when they get poisoned they stand there confused on what to do and end up dying quick.

Im not going to say i havent died because of them, because i have... but it was mostly when i couldn't see the whole cloud, but they are not really that much trouble. Anyone that played back when the Ancient Toxics were way tougher should be having flashbacks cause this cloud of poison was in the game before. Maybe they should tone down the area a bit but that's about it when i comes to balancing that unit out.

They should be limited to event only and then for hive missions only.

Logical and only true solution, agree.

Is it really so hard to prioritize enemies, And shoot the most dangerous first? E.g. The infested osprey. They are very easy to see being the only flying unit, They don't use their toxic cloud until they put down their crawler and fly around a little bit after they do that too. They take about 1 or 2 shots with any decently modded weapon, And then they are gone.

Most of my runs I hadn't even noticed they could shoot out poison because they died so fast. Even in the higher level'd versions of my runs, They are so easy to pick out they aren't /that/ much of a threat.

I'm finding it hard to see why having enemies like this is a bad thing. Shoot annoying osprey once as soon as you see it, Before fighting other units in like manner to fighting normal Ospreys. Carry on as if they never existed.

Because this drones killed "melee - only" gameplay against infected EVERYWHERE, that's why.

Is it really so hard to prioritize enemies, And shoot the most dangerous first? E.g. The infested osprey. They are very easy to see being the only flying unit, They don't use their toxic cloud until they put down their crawler and fly around a little bit after they do that too. They take about 1 or 2 shots with any decently modded weapon, And then they are gone.

Most of my runs I hadn't even noticed they could shoot out poison because they died so fast. Even in the higher level'd versions of my runs, They are so easy to pick out they aren't /that/ much of a threat.

I'm finding it hard to see why having enemies like this is a bad thing. Shoot annoying osprey once as soon as you see it, Before fighting other units in like manner to fighting normal Ospreys. Carry on as if they never existed.

They take about 1 or 2 shots with any decently modded weapon, And then they are gone.

YgkiHlo.jpg

more than 1-2 shots, 200-300 shots

and if anyone thats not valkyr enters this cloud they die instantly, anyone comes to try and rez them also dies.

the Mutalisk ospray can sit up there forever dropping poison and there is nothing anyone can do.

the moment his nyx comes out of absorb.. instant death

Edited by Tatersail

So what, you'd rather Infested simply always be the easiest faction in the game? Well I got news for you. The ospreys are only the start to ranged infested enemies that will be joining the fray.

Melee has always been dangerous. It's inherent. And pointing out Penta or Ogris isn't going to help your stand at all. In almost every occasion, you can substitute Penta or Ogris for any weapon in the game and say they're better at it. Comparing them to melee is just asinine.

You can keep throwing out all your woes and your beliefs that "melee only" isn't viable anymore just because every faction has ranged/flying enemies now, but I'll just keep proving you and other naysayers wrong by bringing my Orthos wielding, 300/580 shields/health, high powered yet low efficiency statted Ember into the fray and survive because I learned how to change up my tactics and play smart, instead of complaining about every difficulty change all the time.

And with that, I go to bed.

Firstly, you wrongly assume I am a "Melee Only" person.  You are completely wrong in that regard.

Secondly, I mention Penta and Ogris because in the youtube videos I have seen that is what was being used.  Hide on a terrain feature out of the way and rain death upon the foe. 

Personally I don't run Defense missions if I can avoid them.  I don't like them.  Nor Survival.  Nor Mobile Defense.

Thirdly, they aren't my "woes and beliefs".  They are an opposing point-of-view.  Not everyone will agree with you.  They won't agree with me either.  Funny how that works.

And yes, I've seen what they were talking about a few Devstreams ago.  More toxic damage enemies.  More Knockdown enemies.  More invulnerable enemies. 

Their "creativity" in this respect leaves me underwhelmed.

In case you wondered, I do think that the game has potential.  If I didn't, I would just walk away.  Eventually I may do that.  Or, I may not.  Depends on how things go.

In any case, have a good night.  =)

they are a good addition to the infested pool of enemies, but, they do have some serious downsides for infininte scaling game modes, enemies are currently around lvl420+ish on the event for me (144, 6500+ i cant remember exactly) and that means that nothing dies with only 1 shot or even 100 if your using a boltor prime, you literally cant kill them before they are in a position to poison you and no frame but valkyr in hysteria can live through the attacks, its all about moving fast and CC the enemies and hoping you dont hit poison

but on defence they are a very annoying addition, they get trapped in walls and ceilings, they wander around the edge of maps, it can sometimes take 3-4mins of hunting on a phobos defence to even find them

the main problem about infested osprey is:

the toxic DOT scale with levels...

meaning. it's instant or near death to all in affected area.

off-topic: i think infested osprey' toxic aoe damage cryopod in defense.

They take about 1 or 2 shots with any decently modded weapon, And then they are gone.

YgkiHlo.jpg

more than 1-2 shots, 200-300 shots

and if anyone thats not valkyr enters this cloud they die instantly, anyone comes to try and rez them also dies.

the Mutalisk ospray can sit up there forever dropping poison and there is nothing anyone can do.

the moment his nyx comes out of absorb.. instant death

You're kidding, right?

The enemies you're fighting in that picture? Level 1035. Your argument is totally moot.

A reasonable idea, poorly executed. Pretty much par for the course with DE right now.

The fact that they exist doesn't really do much except make you wander around looking for the stuck ones at the end of each defence wave. The poison clouds are pretty badly done too. not really adding much in the way of difficulty except to further limit player choice in mod selection while providing little real challenge at all.

Lazy work, mediocre at best, we can only hope the next mobs they add will have a bit more effort put into them.

Edited by Keltik0ne