Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I Modding My Weapons 'incorrectly?'

Zoss

Question

http://i.imgur.com/U2Kwn5t.png

Playing with clannies, doing void survival runs. Usually when the enemies hit 60 or about 40-50 minutes in, heavy gunners take a crapton of hits from my penta. Am I doing something wrong? Should I change to a different weapon? Crit build weapons?

I'm not expecting one hits on 40 mins+ but it gets painful when I have to dump an entire clip just to kill one heavy gunner because they're not grouping.

My next goal is to switch out wildfire to heavy caliber when I get it (no one does corrupted runs) and possibly switch out hellfire or cryo for T4 Vor mods.

Or is this pretty normal?

I would suggest switching Hellfire and Infected clip to give a radiation, viral, blast combo giving you better damage against heavies, and probably still gonna nuke most of the mobs, and also you should do something about the wildfire, gonna need more forma but heavy cal. is a really good idea for making your Penta hit hard enough for 1 hour runs.

pretty normal, although heavy caliber would help a lot. the issue is Gunners get painfully high armour and with damage 2.0 we really don't have much to combat against it. Penta has a nice proc chance but you cant reliably put out enough corrosive procs for it to matter against the gunners. Some possible solutions are:

Try detonating the grenade mid-air above the gunner, it can score headshots

If you have the dual stat mods and want to try relying on procs, viral is a great alternative to corrosive. It has a bonus humanoids and halves their health for ~8 seconds (essentially doubling your damage for that time period)

Try a high firerate secondary with a reliable proc chance, It can serve as a quick armour debuffer while your penta does all the damage.

or decimate it with nova's AMD :3

If you don't have Heavy Caliber or more electric/toxic to put on it, then that's fine.

Make sure you're aiming high and detonating the Penta rounds in the air at or above head level on the Heavy Gunners. It does get headshots.

I would suggest switching Hellfire and Infected clip to give a radiation, viral, blast combo giving you better damage against heavies, and probably still gonna nuke most of the mobs, and also you should do something about the wildfire, gonna need more forma but heavy cal. is a really good idea for making your Penta hit hard enough for 1 hour runs.

They're doing Void, not Grineer. Corrosive is good.

They're doing Void, not Grineer. Corrosive is good.

For the heavy gunners a corrosive blast combo will do less than a radiation viral combo.

Heavy Gunners use Ferite and that counters blast by 25%, and it seems like your focusing on blast dmg alout.

This is what I am talking about

In effect you are losing 25% of your blast dmg, while gaining 75% on corrosive, while with radiation and viral, you are gaining 75% on viral, losing 25% on blast, and maintaining 100% of radiation(before armor mitigation that is.)

The fact that we need extremely specific endgame builds to experience the best of the games content makes me kinda sad :/

On topic though, Blast damage really doesnt do much in the long run, you'd be way better off leaving it as is, and adding more mods for corrosive. A max heavy cal also works apparently

Godspeed :D

Heavy Gunners use Ferite and that counters blast by 25%, and it seems like your focusing on blast dmg alout.

Penta has built in blast damage. The rest of the blast damage is coming from the Cryo + Hellfire combo. I don't have any other decent damage mods to put on it. I'm pretty sure if I took out the Cryo and just used fire mods (+25% to Cloned Flesh), the blast damage would outdo the heat damage.

pretty normal, although heavy caliber would help a lot. the issue is Gunners get painfully high armour and with damage 2.0 we really don't have much to combat against it. Penta has a nice proc chance but you cant reliably put out enough corrosive procs for it to matter against the gunners. Some possible solutions are:

Try detonating the grenade mid-air above the gunner, it can score headshots

If you have the dual stat mods and want to try relying on procs, viral is a great alternative to corrosive. It has a bonus humanoids and halves their health for ~8 seconds (essentially doubling your damage for that time period)

Try a high firerate secondary with a reliable proc chance, It can serve as a quick armour debuffer while your penta does all the damage.

or decimate it with nova's AMD :3

I'm not so down with the status procs. Penta has a awful fire-rate and I'd probably blow myself up or the grenades would run off/bounce off them =\.

Yeah, I'm detonating about head level as well. The secondary is a good idea, I've forgetten about that and don't usually care much for secondaries. I'll have to look into that.

I'd play Nova but I play support as Trinity. Other guys usually run Nova/Rhino, etc.

Viral is good for Ferrite Armour, but wouldn't Corrosive (+75%) and Blast (-25%) do better than a Radiation (0%?), Viral (0%? - Although if the 28.8% chance to proc, -50% health), Blast (-25%)?

http://i.imgur.com/DyJq0iY.png

Or am I just calculating wrongly?

The fact that we need extremely specific endgame builds to experience the best of the games content makes me kinda sad :/

On topic though, Blast damage really doesnt do much in the long run, you'd be way better off leaving it as is, and adding more mods for corrosive. A max heavy cal also works apparently

Godspeed :D

Haha, doesn't bother me that much. There's ALWAYS going to be a mathmatical 'best' at almost ANY game in the world. As a perfectionist and a bit of a theorycrafter, I enjoy finding out this stuff, and it's always good to ask others hence this thread.

In any case, people run other weapons as well - which is also why I asked for advice on maybe switching weapons. The 'variety' is enough for me there. (I have a Soma crit build but no where near as good as my penta and it eats ammo for breakfast.)

Only if you look at one weapon played one way. Darkwing and I are already at a disagreement, where he's stacking vs heavy gunners and I'm saying bring Corrosive/Cold for the void in general. Both are viable, but would probably lead into very different sidearm, melee and possibly even frame choices. You could even compromise with Corrosive/Heat to keep your bonus vs fossil.

Viral is good for Ferrite Armour, but wouldn't Corrosive (+75%) and Blast (-25%) do better than a Radiation (0%?), Viral (0%? - Although if the 28.8% chance to proc, -50% health), Blast (-25%)?

Armored targets count as both their armor and their health type. I don't know exactly how the calculation works, but both are factored. Corrupted Heavy Gunners are cloned flesh and ferrite, not just ferrite.

http://i.imgur.com/DyJq0iY.png

Or am I just calculating wrongly?

Viral does +75% on cloned flesh, the only thing Im not sure of is how that interacts with the armor.

No-one here has bothered to mention this:  After an hour of surviving, enemy hit points reach insane numbers.  At the 30 minute mark, I start noticing that I have to put 15+ bullets into a heavy, and it only gets worse.

Kudos to you for reaching for record breaking stretches of survival time, but no matter what, you WILL hit a grind wall, and NOTHING will get you past it.

Viral does +75% on cloned flesh, the only thing Im not sure of is how that interacts with the armor.

Viral does +75% on cloned and corrosive does +75% to ferrite so they're as good against heavies when they have 0 armor. But they always have some armor and corrosive also negates 75% of the armor applied against it so it's much better than viral when comparing the damage only.

No-one here has bothered to mention this:  After an hour of surviving, enemy hit points reach insane numbers.  At the 30 minute mark, I start noticing that I have to put 15+ bullets into a heavy, and it only gets worse.

Kudos to you for reaching for record breaking stretches of survival time, but no matter what, you WILL hit a grind wall, and NOTHING will get you past it.

Gunners and Lancers health scales so quickly because they get increasing amounts of armor as well as health.

Viral does +75% on cloned and corrosive does +75% to ferrite so they're as good against heavies when they have 0 armor. But they always have some armor and corrosive also negates 75% of the armor applied against it so it's much better than viral when comparing the damage only.

Exactly. So as you get to higher levels the Corrosive damage that you do becomes the most important, because its the only thing cutting though enemy armor.

OP: Remove all the fire mods. Add a HCal on there, and the Elec/Toxin Event mods, if you have them. You should at least be able to grind the toxin and HCal mods. The last slot can be Hellfire, but it's not a great damage type. I'd rather lose a tiny bit of damage and install Firestorm.

Another way to make long void survivals MUCH easier is to coordinate with teammates and bring 3-4 Corrosive Projection auras. If you bring 4, enemies lose their armor-specific vulnerabilities so Viral damage is best for Grineer units. Unless I'm planning on going multiple hours, I would just bring 3 and keep the Corrosive/Cold combo.

LOL omg don't say stuff like that. You can go indefinitely if you have a decent team.

Have everyone in the group use corrosive projection so they have no armor, then they'll die pretty easily.

But eventually you don't want to kill enemies with weapons, you want to kill them with abilities. Mag with shield polarize will rek enemies of any level because it scales, for example.

Edited by VegetableBasket

http://i.imgur.com/U2Kwn5t.png

Playing with clannies, doing void survival runs. Usually when the enemies hit 60 or about 40-50 minutes in, heavy gunners take a crapton of hits from my penta. Am I doing something wrong? Should I change to a different weapon? Crit build weapons?

I'm not expecting one hits on 40 mins+ but it gets painful when I have to dump an entire clip just to kill one heavy gunner because they're not grouping.

My next goal is to switch out wildfire to heavy caliber when I get it (no one does corrupted runs) and possibly switch out hellfire or cryo for T4 Vor mods.

Or is this pretty normal?

doesn't split chamber make each shot do less technically? I heard that somewhere

doesn't split chamber make each shot do less technically? I heard that somewhere

Technically yes since you could use that slot for more damage. But if you use SC instead, you'll do a lot more damage on average because two bullets with slightly less damage is a huge boost.

There's no reason ever to not use multishot on any weapon.

Technically yes since you could use that slot for more damage. But if you use SC instead, you'll do a lot more damage on average because two bullets with slightly less damage is a huge boost.

There's no reason ever to not use multishot on any weapon.

someone on here told me on weapons like penta and ogris that multishot should be replaced because the one bullet will do more damage all together than just the one but ive yet to test this when he told me I had just forma'd my penta lol so it'll be a bit (considering I just made boltor prime and have it forma'd once) penta is on the back burner for now

someone on here told me on weapons like penta and ogris that multishot should be replaced because the one bullet will do more damage all together than just the one but ive yet to test this when he told me I had just forma'd my penta lol so it'll be a bit (considering I just made boltor prime and have it forma'd once) penta is on the back burner for now

That is just wrong, you'll do more damage using split chamber.

well im the type that will test it to see for myself before I make assumptions whats it gonna hurt to kill an enemy and abort mission lol take like a minute tops

It's been several minutes since you posted the question about split chamber lowering your damage. So what do you think?