Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House

blueatlanta

I'd be in favor of an Auction House... Puts an end to shrewd trade scammers and trade channel spaming.

The thing with oversaturation of the market could become a problem though. But it could be handled with minimum Plat trade being 5p... which is the current average price of most parts/mods anyways. If rare stuff gets to that point well... then you'd be impudent anyways to demand more than what's average.

Maybe someone could come up with a clever way on how to use different lower Platinum limits depending on mod-rarity or in which Void tier stuff drops to make up for the work people put into grinding that stuff. A lower limit most people could agree on and for DE to implement.

Also it's not true that the trade channel is 24/7... it's strongly dependend on which region you live in and when you are online. I happened to find stuff more easily during certain times of the day and the trade channel is like dead during other times where you are not even able to get stupid Bronco Prime parts.

So an Auction house with stuff available 24/7 and without regional lock would be much more favorable in my opinion.

Edited by MeduSalem

I'd be in favor of an Auction House... Puts an end to shrewd trade scammers and trade channel spaming.

The thing with oversaturation of the market could become a problem though. But it could be handled with minimum Plat trade being 5p... which is the current average price of most parts/mods anyways. If rare stuff gets to that point well... then you'd be impudent anyways to demand more than what's average.

Maybe someone could come up with a clever way on how to use different lower Platinum limits depending on mod-rarity or in which Void tier stuff drops to make up for the work people put into grinding that stuff. A lower limit most people could agree on and for DE to implement.

Also it's not true that the trade channel is 24/7... it's strongly dependend on which region you live in and when you are online. I happened to find stuff more easily during certain times of the day and the trade channel is like dead during other times where you are not even able to get stupid Bronco Prime parts.

So an Auction house with stuff available 24/7 and without regional lock would be much more favorable in my opinion.

no: everybody will loose if an auction house/marketplace is implented:

let's give an exemple:

player A want to sell his mod for 20 plats, he put it in the marketplace

player B want to sell his mod too, he set ti  to 18 plats, like that everybody will buy his mod

player A see that and lower his price to 15 plats... it can continue a lot of time, depending of the rarity of the mod

Consequences:

- players who sell items: prices are lowererd due to the concurrence, and because more pple want to sell their mods (actually alot of ppl have dozen of mods but are too lazy)

- players who buy these mods are making a mistake because they don't farm for it, and WF is a gring based game, so they are "killing" their pleasure

- DE: less plats are bought, because of the lowered prices ( not sure if it would have an impact on the plats bought)

This work for prime parts and all the things wich are tradeable, sry for my english it's my third language

I support an Auction House. Trading in this game is one of the most tedious things in this game being surpassed only by brakk farming. But in all seriousness, there are no advantages to NOT having an auction house. The trade channel can still stay, but the AH would just streamline the process. If anyone has played spiral knights, it is perfect example of how it could be implemented. 

In that system, there are fees to discourage any abusing of mass postings for useless things or overpriced items. However, it is pretty much left open and users are able to sell just about anything from overabundant materials (think a 10pack of redirections for 1plat) to extremely high priced items (think in the range of 2000plat). It is implements a system based on pure auctions with a "buy now" option. This part prevents any odd instances where either an individual seller or buyer would feel cheated. For example, someone placing a high bid for an item only to be outbid at the last second by one extra plat or having your boltor prime bp sell for 11plat because the bid ended when there was no one online at that particular time.

If you're against using an auction house and prefer using chat, there is no reason why the trade channel would have to be removed. Adding one does not mean having to take the other one away.

A good trading system facilitates the allocation resources. It allows for people with plat to get the parts they want easier and faster AND rewards people who farm with more potential buyers and easier sales. It is not an advantage in any way to only have a single option that is, both, cumbersome and inefficient.

EDIT: also forgot to add to the part where everyone is afraid the market will crash and no one will want to farm or buy and then THE GAME ITSELF WILL BE DESTROYEEEEDDDDD!!!!! (see what i did there?) you're all overreacting. 

All markets have a supply and demand and this will be no different. It will reach a balance where buyers will pay what they are willing to pay and sellers will sell for what they are willing to receive. 

Edited by alfaomega04

no: everybody will loose if an auction house/marketplace is implented:

let's give an exemple:

player A want to sell his mod for 20 plats, he put it in the marketplace

player B want to sell his mod too, he set ti  to 18 plats, like that everybody will buy his mod

player A see that and lower his price to 15 plats... it can continue a lot of time, depending of the rarity of the mod

Consequences:

- players who sell items: prices are lowererd due to the concurrence, and because more pple want to sell their mods (actually alot of ppl have dozen of mods but are too lazy)

- players who buy these mods are making a mistake because they don't farm for it, and WF is a gring based game, so they are "killing" their pleasure

- DE: less plats are bought, because of the lowered prices ( not sure if it would have an impact on the plats bought)

This work for prime parts and all the things wich are tradeable, sry for my english it's my third language

Did you even read the part where I wrote about a fixed minimum amount of plat wouldn't be that bad for certain "rarity" to make up for the work people put into it?

And also people are killing their experience by buying stuff in the trade channel ever since it has been added to the game. An auction house wouldn't change much about it. And I mean literally I have seen MR 1 people running around with Prime stuff and they weren't the same items as the then available Prime Access so they must have bought them in the trade channel or have friends giving them a taxi.

That's a different problem altogether that should be fixed by giving certain items/mods a required minimum Mastery Rank so that they can't get the OP stuff on the first day of playing bypassing the whole gameplay.

Also you seem to forget about the fact that stuff in the trade channel is already worth jack sh*t compared to normal weapons in the market. Most Prime parts and mods go away for 5p... and most uncommon stuff for 10-15. It's already like an inofficial "rule". Everything beyond 30p is scam. Except for exclusive mods/items that are not farm-able anymore or not yet available in large quantities. Even Loki Prime parts won't be worth much in a few weeks/months because of oversaturation. Can't prevent that from happening, auction house or not.

Not having an auction house only delays the inevitable: Parts will oversaturate the market at some point in the future.

If it would ruin Warframe's economy it would have already happened. There are plenty of people out there who sell whole prime sets for 15-20p, with an average of 5p per part. So set the lower-limit of trading parts in an auction house to 5p and nobody will notice a difference to how it's now. Price can't drop any further.

I rather expect some items to become even more expensive than they are now rather than becoming worthless. The problem will be that some players with too much platinum will try to control the market and buy all those items and then put them into the auction house again but much more expensive and thereby driving the price up to ridiculous heights. The same happened at the Diablo 3 auction house and that there was no reasonable upper limit on what people could demand only further pushed it.

So with a good lower limit and a good upper limit there shouldn't be any problems and it shouldn't hurt the economy. It only hurts if DE doesn't regulate the market.

Edited by MeduSalem

im against an auction house (im assuming it'd like an ebay auction, where people actually place bids) because you would end up with people "stealing" purchases by raising the bid by 1p at the last second. You would also have to have platinum only bids because if someone bids a scorch mod and another person bids a latron prime receiver, who would win?

But i wouldn't mind seeing a kind of, bulletin board. Maybe accessible from the trading post in the dojo. 

It could be a place where someone posts an ad for selling, say, paris prime string, and demands a boltor prime stock for it.

Then someone else comes along and searches for paris prime string in the selling section, it gives a full list of paris prime strings that people are selling, and then the buyer goes "i have a spare boltor prime stock" an accepts the trade.

the game then uses the message system to deliver the boltor stock directly to the seller, whilst the buyer would get it immediately (as they would have to be currently online).

it would give players a way of trading items without needing to do it in real-time, needing to go to someone elses dojo, and being at the mercy of the other party's internet connection or needing to stuff around on the trading channel posting "WTS paris prime string" for half an hour waiting for a bite, when they could be off ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME

This is not WOW. Auction house is not needed when there is a worldwide 24/7 trade channel

You mean the spam tab?

I really love those block posts, that read about a mile long, take up the whole chat screen, and look something like thi

WTS STUF LOOT STUFF LOOT STUFF

PRIMES PARTS AND RARES! STUFF STUFF

STUFF STUUF EPIC STUFF

MOAR STUFF PM FOR OFFERS  GET WEL HOT!  BEST OFFERS!! ALL CHEAP!!!

Edited by Hexagoros

Yes. Trading through chat is messy and looks amateurish (and it's not practical at all).

Prices will eventually reach a balance of what sellers and buyers think is fair, considering offer and demand.

The thing is, in WF, supply far outpaces demand bc of RNG.

We spend hours and hours searching for 1 item, and in doing so, build up a tremendous pile of other crap we can't use and don't want. Once the market becomes "perfect", we'll all realize that there are many more Ankyros Prime gauntlets )for example) than there are players who want them.

And if it takes no effort to sell them, we'll sell them for nearly nothing.

Thus, as the OP mentions, we either need a plat cost to list an item, or a min per item given a certain rarity.

(Perfect Market = buyers and sellers can exchange goods instantly and transparently, and all are aware of the prices of said exchanges)

The thing is, in WF, supply far outpaces demand bc of RNG.

We spend hours and hours searching for 1 item, and in doing so, build up a tremendous pile of other crap we can't use and don't want. Once the market becomes "perfect", we'll all realize that there are many more Ankyros Prime gauntlets )for example) than there are players who want them.

And if it takes no effort to sell them, we'll sell them for nearly nothing.

Thus, as the OP mentions, we either need a plat cost to list an item, or a min per item given a certain rarity.

(Perfect Market = buyers and sellers can exchange goods instantly and transparently, and all are aware of the prices of said exchanges)

But why should people be able to sell an item half the playerbase has hundreds of for 40p? I'd like a market that regulates itself.

I agree with your definition of a perfect market, and I think an online listing would be closer to that than the current system.

But why should people be able to sell an item half the playerbase has hundreds of for 40p? I'd like a market that regulates itself.

I agree with your definition of a perfect market, and I think an online listing would be closer to that than the current system.

Good question, and I have a good answer for you :D

The reason why we should be able to sell a "barely uncommon" item for 40p is because DE has already "set" the in-game value of plat, and it's very low.

(low = it takes a lot of plat to buy a common item)

How did they set it? Via the DE fixed price plat market. 200P for a gun? 50P just to rush? Plat is almost worthless according to DE.

So, if we deflate plat by making a perfect market, we'll end up in a place where players won't be able to earn enough play in game to interact with the DE plat market. Which then means less plat "exits" the system, which means less plat purchases. Which also means less players without $ playing the game, because they can't earn "necessary" things like slots, forma and potatoes.

So, the only person who "wins" is the person who has a ton of real-money plat and wants to buy their way around content. Rhino Prime set 1P anyone? But is making skipping content even easier really a "win"?

Would you really grind if you could buy nearly anything in game for 1P?

I think instead, everyone loses.

Perfect example...

Personally I'd prefer an auction house because I can dump duplicates into it and get on with playing the game not trawling the trade channel looking for good prices to buy at or a buyer for something I want to sell.

Yep, everyone's dozens/hundreds of duplicates would be "dumped" there. Far more duplicates than active players. Nothing has any real value.

The only thing maintaining the "faux" value of parts/mods is the actual difficulty of matching buyers and sellers - aka, the lack of an auctionhouse.

Who really wins when every part is 1P? not DE, not players...who?

Edited by notionphil

Couldn't you achieve the same effect by limiting the number of auctions?  It occurs to me if a player can only have 1 auction up at a time, and can only list something once every 24 hours, then the drive to dump cheap items on the auction house is significantly reduced. 

Players can't increase their profit through quantity that way, meaning they're incentivised to charge as much as they can sell for.  Plus stockpiled items retain some of their value - there may be a billion mag prime chassis out there, but if only 10 people will use their slot to sell them then there is a market for them.