Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Credits Are Useless. Auction House With Credits Solves That Problem.

Hexagoros

Right now, the general attitude towards credits is that they are pretty much useless as a currency.  Thing is...there is just nothing to buy with them.   You can buy a few bps and the such, and they are used basically 'as ingredients' in the forge.   That's pretty much it.

As an actual currency, however...there is literally no use for them.  None.

An Auction House operating only with credits as its currency would by itself create a demand for Credits by giving players a place to spend them.

Instantly, credits would become useful, since it would be used for buying items off other players.  That Rare mod you want?  It's up on the Auction house for 3 million Credits.  That BP, prime part, etc..?  All in the auction house for credits.  Suddenly players are given a reason to value credits since they would then be used for buying mods, bps, and parts.

As a result, there is suddenly an incentive to go farm lots of credits in order to buy from the Auction House.

Simply put, Credits as a currency right now are only useless because there is nothing to buy with them.  An Auction House functioning on credits solves that problem by giving you a place to spend credits.

Edited by Hexagoros

i find plenty of use by donating to my clan for rails or using in market or by upgrading mods either for my own use or to sell for plat or trade for what i want they are also used in trades

then again im one of those that gets credits then spends them right away so i hardly ever have more then 1mil

I like the idea, but I don't think it will work out this far down the line. With the average player having more credits than they know what to do with, what would be the point of them putting up their "hard-earned" mods or prime parts to auction for even more creds?

Edit: Auto-correct is not even remotely in the ballpark of correct.

Edited by CaptainPeanut

i find plenty of use by donating to my clan for rails or using in market or by upgrading mods either for my own use or to sell for plat or trade for what i want they are also used in trades

then again im one of those that gets credits then spends them right away so i hardly ever have more then 1mil

So you basically just made my point.

Useful as ingredients, taxes, etc.., but as a currency, no use whatsoever.

I like the idea, but I don't think it will work out Althusser far down the line. With the average player having more credits than they know what to do with, what would be the point of them putting up their "hard-earned" mods or prime parts to auction for even more creds?

Again, you're actually proving my point.

Players have more credits then they know what to do with because there is nowhere to spend them.  The Auction House gives players a place to spend the credits.  Once you're spending huge amounts of credits at an Auction House, that solves the problem of having too many credits, since there would then be a place to go use them.

And as to why someone would put 'hard earned' mods on the Auction House?  The same reason they sell them now via the trade tab, they either don't want them, or want to trade them for something else.

Edited by Hexagoros

I disagree. My dojo needs a TON of credits, I always seems to be low, but that may be because I'm always building the energy pads and Ciphers.They are used for upgrading Mods too and I don't think they are entirely useless. 

I disagree. My dojo needs a TON of credits, I always seems to be low, but that may be because I'm always building the energy pads and Ciphers.They are used for upgrading Mods too and I don't think they are entirely useless. 

Again, no mention of credits being used as a currency.  You're making my point for me.

I already mentioned in the OP about credits being used as ingredients, which is what you mention here.

The in-game currency has no use as a currency.

Edited by Hexagoros

Yeah... credits become useless after spending like a billion of them. I don't think you're near that. An auction house of just creds would ruin the trade market.

Edit: Currency-  something (such as coins or bills) used as a way to pay for goods and services and to pay people for their work

I'm pretty sure this occurs.

Edited by (PS4)IIIDevoidIII

If they were to do that they would actually have to work on balancing credit income. If they want credit to be valuable like in other games they would actually have to spend some time restructuring credits int he game period. Only then could it be used as a crediable currency like plat that could be used to trade.

Right now you can just get tons of credits easily unlike back in the day when you only got 1k credits for every mission. Back then atleast credits had some value since it was used to buy things in the market and it took a while to farm up some creds outside of selling cronus bps lol(Only people Pre U8 will probably remember that time).

If they were to do that they would actually have to work on balancing credit income. If they want credit to be valuable like in other games they would actually have to spend some time restructuring credits int he game period. Only then could it be used as a crediable currency like plat that could be used to trade.

Right now you can just get tons of credits easily unlike back in the day when you only got 1k credits for every mission. Back then atleast credits had some value since it was used to buy things in the market and it took a while to farm up some creds outside of selling cronus bps lol(Only people Pre U8 will probably remember that time).

Not really.

Inflation prices tend to take care of themselves.  For example, no one would put up a Barrel Diffusion mod for 5k credits, instead they would set the price more in the 500k area, since the mod is so rare.

The players would decide the prices for themselves, since...well, that's the nature of trading between humans.

I mean, right now I can sell a Fleeting Expertise for 1 plat if I so choose...that doesn't mean I will.

Edited by Hexagoros

Not really.

Inflation prices tend to take care of themselves.  For example, no one would put up a Barrel Diffusion mod for 5k credits, instead they would set the price more in the 500k area, since the mod is so rare.

The players would decide the prices for themselves, since...well, that's the nature of trading between humans.

I mean, right now I can sell a Fleeting Expertise for 1 plat if I so choose...that doesn't mean I will.

Yeah but how exactly would any of that suddenly make people treat credits as an currency? You said it yourself that its treated like a resource as opposed to a currency which is true because that all it is at this point.

One of the main reasons Plat is so valuable is because it isnt easy gotten and when it is, its in very limited quantities outside of buying plat packages. The whole credit system would have to be restructured first to make it valuable in itself, before you can use it to trade. Make it so someone actually has to think about how many credits they are spending instead of throwing more than the next person and quickly farming more.

As it stands right now its just an resource and no one would seriously use it to trade even if it was an option.

Edited by theclinton

An Auction house using creds could be a useful alternative for players who don't have platinum. But, I question where to find the people who would want to sell for creds over platinum. I don't think it would catch on very well, and those who do sell would sell at such an inflated price that it would be easier just to farm the things yourself.

Yeah but how exactly would any of that suddenly make people treat credits as an currency? You said it yourself that its treated like a resource as opposed to a currency which is true because that all it is at this point.

One of the main reasons Plat is so valuable is because it isnt easy gotten and when it is, its in very limited quantities outside of buying plat packages. The whole credit system would have to be restructured first to make it valuable in itself, before you can use it to trade. Make it so someone actually has to think about how many credits they are spending instead of throwing more than the next person and quickly farming more.

As it stands right now its just an resource and no one would seriously use it to trade even if it was an option.

Platinum is used as the trading currency because it is the only option as the trading currency.

Auction Houses exist in other games for the precisely the reasons I have outlined above.

An Auction house using creds could be a useful alternative for players who don't have platinum. But, I question where to find the people who would want to sell for creds over platinum. I don't think it would catch on very well, and those who do sell would sell at such an inflated price that it would be easier just to farm the things yourself.

The only reason 'not' to have platinum is a refusal to tolerate the spam-chat tab...which is a fairly good reason. 

Other than that Platinum is actually pretty easy to get.

Edited by Hexagoros

I'd say "not going to happen" because there is a huge loss for DE if trades move over to Creds instead of Plat. No, I also see credits as a bit useless, but it fills it's purpose and does not compete with Plat so I think their best move is to keep it that way. Only thing I could see is a AH with Plat...

Untrue. It would still be used as the trading currency regardless if you were able to use both. Only platinum can buy you slots and cosmetics.

First off, who is to say prices couldn't be set in platinum?  Who is to say direct player-to-player trades for plat need to stop?  Options are a good thing.

Second, slots are a one time purchase, and you don't need a lot of plat for that.  Same for cosmetics.  What does a paint set cost?  75 plat.  That's less than a handful of rare mods.

Also, you are over-looking something.  The Auction House adds in one very important commodity.  Convenience.  The Spam-Chat tab is horrendous, and the trading forum is basically ignored by people who aren't looking to sell.  The Auction House fixes that by more or less automating the trading process into a single, convenient store.

What's better, going to browse in the Auction House for an item you want, or shouting "WTB" inside the trade tab?  What's better, placing an item up for sale in the Auction House, or copy-pasting "WTS" all night in the spam-chat?

Edited by Hexagoros

First off, whose is to say prices couldn't be set in platinum?  Options are a good thing.

Second, slots are a one time purchase, and you don't need a lot of plat for that.  Same for cosmetics.  What does a paint set cost?  75 plat.  That's less than a handful of rare mods.

Also, you are over-looking something.  The Auction House adds in one very important commodity.  Convenience.  The Spam-Chat tab is horrendous, and the trading forum is basically ignored by people who aren't looking to sell.  The Auction House fixes that by more or less automating the trading process into a single, convenient store.

What's better, going to browse in the Auction House for an item you want, or shouting "WTB" inside the trade tab?  What's better, placing an item up for sale in the Auction House, or copy-pasting "WTS" all night in the spam-chat?

The only thing I see a system such as this doing, is have a bunch of low level mods selling for really low prices, by new players who need creds. 

Sure, it may be convenient to help level up your redirection with other redirections, but this doesn't replace the fact that plat locks you from having all the content in the game. Everyone wants all the content in the game, ergo they want plat. They do not want to spend money on the game, ergo they trade for plat.

It's an unarguable point in that situation, it would in no way replace trading as the go to place to get most of those hard to get mods and equipment.

I'm not denouncing your idea out of personal preference, I'm denouncing your idea of the convenience you claim, and the 'something to do with creds' you claim it'll give. It may work in other places, but with how the game works now, an auction house won't see any renown.

Platinum is used as the trading currency because it is the only option as the trading currency.

Auction Houses exist in other games for the precisely the reasons I have outlined above.

The only reason 'not' to have platinum is a refusal to tolerate the spam-chat tab...which is a fairly good reason. 

Other than that Platinum is actually pretty easy to get.

Im not sure you are understanding what I and other people are saying. Credits currently have no value, and just adding it as an trading option will not create value in credits by itself. You need to first make credits valuable, then you can use it as an currency to trade with.

So you basically just made my point.

Useful as ingredients, taxes, etc.., but as a currency, no use whatsoever.

Small issue, by your own (overly narrow) standard, they evidently wouldn't really be used as a currency in the Auction House either. Note that you only mention buying and spending and then farming for credits, not selling for them - i.e. no money's apparently circulating.

By contrast, this doesn't hold true for stuff like taxes, since that goes into battlepay, etc. meaning it actually circulates. If that doesn't qualify as being used as a currency, then your idea doesn't either. :-/

Small issue, by your own (overly narrow) standard, they evidently wouldn't really be used as a currency in the Auction House either. Note that you only mention buying and spending and then farming for credits, not selling for them - i.e. no money's apparently circulating.

By contrast, this doesn't hold true for stuff like taxes, since that goes into battlepay, etc. meaning it actually circulates. If that doesn't qualify as being used as a currency, then your idea doesn't either. :-/

A bit of a stretch.  'Taxes' are simply meant as a second limiting factor on trades, the first being the limited number of trades per level.  Again, that's credits being used basically as a resource.  As one of the other posters mentioned, the actual 'game currency' in use here is platinum. 

Platinum is the basis of player-to-player trading.  Credits are for taxes and the forge.

Also, I never said I was against a 'Platinum Auction House,' I would be fine with that too.  ^_^  I really hate the Spam-Chat tab.

A bit of a stretch.  'Taxes' are simply meant as a second limiting factor on trades, the first being the limited number of trades per level.  Again, that's credits being used basically as a resource.  As one of the other posters mentioned, the actual 'game currency' in use here is platinum. 

Platinum is the basis of player-to-player trading.  Credits are for taxes and the forge.

Also, I never said I was against a 'Platinum Auction House,' I would be fine with that too.  ^_^  I really hate the Spam-Chat tab.

Not trade taxes, taxes applied on Dark Sector missions.

Credits are fine the way it is. You're treating Warframe as if it's another MMORPG when that is not the case. Warframe is a Co-op TPS lobby/matchmaking based game. As far as I have experienced, other games of similar fashion also use their "currency" as a means to "unlock", or buy items/content within the game (e.g. for Warframe it's buying/building blueprints, weapons, etc.). Credits serves their purpose wholefully and there is no need to change it. Examples of other games with this concept would be Combat Arms, League of Legends, SMITE, Tactical Intervention, and Soldier Front, all of which are lobby/matchmaking based as well. (And mind you, none of those games use their "currency" as an actual currency.)

Credits are fine the way it is. You're treating Warframe as if it's another MMORPG when that is not the case. Warframe is a Co-op TPS lobby/matchmaking based game. As far as I have experienced, other games of similar fashion also use their "currency" as a means to "unlock", or buy items/content within the game (e.g. for Warframe it's buying/building blueprints, weapons, etc.). Credits serves their purpose wholefully and there is no need to change it. Examples of other games with this concept would be Combat Arms, League of Legends, SMITE, Tactical Intervention, and Soldier Front, all of which are lobby/matchmaking based as well. (And mind you, none of those games use their "currency" as an actual currency.)

Well, you will feel differently when you are somewhere passed level 8 and have several million credits sitting in your reserve that are useful for basically nothing except funding your Clan tenno conflicts.

Edit:

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who has earned more platinum through trades than he could ever hope to use in the in-game store, so it's not as if I'm just sitting here looking for a way around platinum. 

I've done my time on the Spam-Chat, and will happily go about spending more time there to sell off my loot for the sake of selling it.

The thing is, there should be a better way.

Edited by Hexagoros