Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Sentients Were Whales And Ancients Should Not Appear Outside Orokin Tilesets

Yorinar

I'll take squids over whales. What feature do the ancients share with whales?

The ridges, bumps, and grooves are all very similar to whales.  Plus the flippers.  The exception is that arm.  But we don't necessarily know in what ways the Sentients were changed by the Orokin.  Perhaps they were given a human appendage of sorts to manipulate objects.

But see AntoineFlemming's post.  That sums up nicely what I'm getting at: lore before content.

I think they're just alien creatures, but not whales. Nothing of them is like a whale imo. Squid, maybe. But then again, I don't think the Ancients are the Sentients at all.

I've said it before, but the big problem with DE and why stuff doesn't add up is that they are only focused on getting out new content. They release this new content and then try to wrap some story around the content the best they can, when what they really need to do is to hire some writers to actually write out some full-fledged, overarching story. Then they need to only make content that fits the lore. If it doesn't fit the lore then they shouldn't make it. Lore should dictate the art direction.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I think they're just alien creatures, but not whales. Nothing of them is like a whale imo. Squid, maybe. But then again, I don't think the Ancients are the Sentients at all.

My guess is you will be correct by default.  DE has no good way of pulling all this hodgepodge together and so aliens are always a good schtick to resort to.

But to reiterate my point above, when we name things we do it for a reason.  Like in Walking Dead, they are called walkers because they walk in defiance of expectations.  They are dead, they shouldn't walk.  An alien species that makes its way to us would not be sentient in defiance of expectations.  We would be sentient to them in defiance of their expectations perhaps, but not vice versa.

However, the actual reason they are called Sentients is because it sounded cool.  Now DE has to invent something to fit.  Aliens are always an easy fit.

Ancients are stated to just be extremely old Infested after absorbing lots of biomass, they don't specifically come from anything, just many things into one.

I know it's not specifically written anywhere, but I like to think the Infested are similar to the Flood.

I thought the same thing with the new tileset and sounds they make. Similar, yes, but not anywhere near as parasitic, that's for sure. Or as smart ( so far as we know ).

The orokin created the void in the same way mankind created electricity, gravity, and atoms.

I thought they discovered it. They call it the hellspace where all their reasoning failed. They didn't create the Void.