Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will The New Frame Hinder Peoples Ability To Grind For Resources?

Pbrandon1

When I heard that the frame would have the ability to set traps on all environmental items such as lockers and containers it kinda scared me.

What if this prevents the ability for you to get resources from?

Grinding for some resources is already hard enough, now a frame could possibly make the grind even worse for?

I'm not sure and I hope you still can access lockers and containers normally, just the trap activates when an enemy walks by, or they still can be used after they have attacked an enemy.

I guess we will just have to see.

Nope,

Have you ever seen anyone opening a locker before?

Running boss node twice is faster than one slow run while exploring. Additionally two fast runs also yield more rare resources.

This isn't real...

When the game first went into open beta there was a big forum divide between 'rushers' and 'explorers' that went on for months. When the people behind the wiki put up 'usually found by running boss X on planet Y' for all the rare mats, people started citing that like crazy and acting like it was a dead discussion, when really it was a disucssion that never happened in earnest. People just used it devicively to argue their playstyle vs other people's and cited bad statistics like when Reddit datamined that a boss had a higher drop rate than an invididual locker, or some guy looted lockers and found five rare mats in a single run that took a long time.

I've never been a farmer, but back when Control Modules were only available in once place and were rare, I used to do that boss run on Rush Loki and clean the place out. My speed let me hit most of the lockers and break containers and still catch up with the randumbs for the boss fight. I promise you lockers and containers were better for that... 

Edited by VKhaun

I've never been a farmer, but back when Control Modules were only available in once place and were rare, I used to do that boss run on Rush Loki and clean the place out. My speed let me hit most of the lockers and break containers and still catch up with the randumbs for the boss fight. I promise you lockers and containers were better for that... 

Anecdotal evidence. It's not reliable.

That said, simply rushing bosses for stuff like Control Modules typically was faster and more efficient (I won't say better, because it was more tedious). The aforementioned datamining (as well as the segment of code posted by DE's Steve) showed that trying to get rares from a container/locker was largely a waste of time in the overwhelming majority of cases. The chance that a resource drop from Hyena was a rare (in this case, the Module) was 25%, the odds that a resource drop from a container would be a rare was 2.5%... and this is ignoring the fact that Hyena always dropped resources, whereas containers didn't, so the actual odds were actually less than 2.5%.

Even worse, that datamining showed that ordinary enemies had the exact same resource drop chances that containers did, which further cemented their status as being the least efficient way to go about getting rare resources. Standard enemies are available in far higher quantities (thus improving chances) and come right to you depending on the mission type, in short, they're basically more plentiful walking lockers that bled.

So yeah, on the topic of the OP, even if the lockers and containers are rendered unlootable, odds are you're not missing much and don't need to worry about a resource crunch. They won't give you anything even a standard enemy can't.

Edited by Taranis49

That said, simply rushing bosses for stuff like Control Modules typically was faster and more efficient (I won't say better, because it was more tedious). 

Anecdotal evidence. It's not reliable.

The aforementioned datamining (as well as the segment of code posted by DE's Scott) showed that trying to get rares from a container/locker was largely a waste of time in the overwhelming majority of cases. The chance that a resource drop from Hyena was a rare (in this case, the Module) was 25%, the odds that a resource drop from a container would be a rare was 2.5%... and this is ignoring the fact that Hyena always dropped resources, whereas containers didn't, so the actual odds were actually less than 2.5%.

Even worse, that datamining showed that ordinary enemies had the exact same resource drop chances that containers did, which further cemented their status as being the least efficient way to go about getting rare resources. Standard enemies are available in far higher quantities (thus improving chances) and come right to you depending on the mission type, in short, they're basically more plentiful walking lockers that bled.

This is an argument that leads to enemy farming, not boss farming. Survival and Defense are probably the best for everything but Argon, maybe even including Argon.

The irrelevant past:

In full context of the past, I stand by what I said that you cut out of my quote. At the time this was rusher v explorer. Rushers did not kill enemies unless they physically were in the way. They sprinted straight to the boss, pwned the boss, then sprinted to extraction. If they were bored they might kill some extra but speed was paramount. The player killing the most enemies was the same as the player breaking the containers. They're not separate facts, they're completely linked in the context of the argument I described.

No one ever took the time, AFAIK, to check how many enemies were IN an assassinate mission, how many lockers and how many containers. Then timed going through and killing just the boss, vs killing the boss and looting everything else. That's what the real answer would require, and no one asked that question. They started from the playstyle they preffered and rationalized back from there. Rushering was more popular, so that's who got to write the history and that's the impression many people have today.

Today, I doubt any of those values are still true and they don't really matter right now even if they do, because enemies and heavy enemies drop plenty of anything you could want on Defense and Survival with a Nekros.

So yeah, on the topic of the OP, even if the lockers and containers are rendered unlootable, odds are you're not missing much and don't need to worry about a resource crunch. They won't give you anything even a standard enemy can't.

Assuming I digress that there's no point looting any lockers, do you really think that's a good direction for the game? That lockers always be a meaningless side venue for the odd ball weirdo who likes to explore for no other reason?

I think they're a great way to put in items that people are specifically looking for at times, and don't care about the rest of the time. DE already fumbled the first original round of resources by having them drop everywhere and from everything so veteran players have huge stockpiles built up from finding things they had no need or interest in finding.

Prosecutors and Oxcium Osprey were neat ideas, but they require a specific faction be in control and in the case of Prosecutors they require a specific node. Same with Golem Nav Coords, only one system which requires key entry. We can't keep going with that trend or it just ends up the same thing. If the whole game is full of enemies that drop specific resources, players will just end up with stockpiles of them all from when they weren't looking for them, and the solution circumvents itself.

Don't you think some things like this would be great to put in lockers, so if someone wanted to find them they could explore a bit in missions they're doing anyway, instead of grinding for an end reward by going through as fast as possible?

Edited by VKhaun

Assuming I digress that there's no point looting any lockers, do you really think that's a good direction for the game? That lockers always be a meaningless side venue for the odd ball weirdo who likes to explore for no other reason?

I think they're a great way to put in items that people are specifically looking for at times, and don't care about the rest of the time. DE already fumbled the first original round of resources by having them drop everywhere and from everything so veteran players have huge stockpiles built up from finding things they had no need or interest in finding.

Prosecutors and Oxcium Osprey were neat ideas, but they require a specific faction be in control and in the case of Prosecutors they require a specific node. Same with Golem Nav Coords, only one system which requires key entry. We can't keep going with that trend or it just ends up the same thing. If the whole game is full of enemies that drop specific resources, players will just end up with stockpiles of them all from when they weren't looking for them, and the solution circumvents itself.

Don't you think some things like this would be great to put in lockers, so if someone wanted to find them they could explore a bit in missions they're doing anyway, instead of grinding for an end reward by going through as fast as possible?

I never said it was good. Just that it's how it is. The math didn't lie, and there's not much reason to assume it's changed. I've criticized the lack of incentive for exploring myself. I'm all for doing things like expanding the void's model of giving containers a chance to drop mods and the like and beefing up their rewards so there's a reason to take the time to look for them.

But as-is? The carrot isn't there for the most part.