Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We Have "events" In An Open Beta Game?

grillv20

If it starts there, sure, but the act of PORTING a game, let alone twice, kinda begs the question. Beta and release pretty much mean crap in a game like Warframe that gets regular content updates. New code is going to have new bugs regardless of what you call it.

1. Why can't a beta be ported to other gaming platforms?

2. Most betas feature content updates (every beta that I've ever heard of).

3. New bugs for us to unearth... y'know, like testers.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

1. Why can't a beta be ported to other gaming platforms?

2. Most betas feature content updates (every beta that I've ever heard of).

3. New bugs for us to unearth... y'know, like testers.

1. Why make another port when you already have two versions still undergoing "beta?"

2. Most betas usually involve preparing for a "release."

3. So even if the game "released" with numerous bugs and issues, we'd still be "testing" the game?

1. Why make another port when you already have two versions still undergoing "beta?"

3. So even if the game "released" with numerous bugs and issues, we'd still be "testing" the game?

1. Why not?

2. >Implying they aren't slowly building up to release.

3. Irrelevant as the game is still in beta.

1. larger player testbeds, along with platforming tests.

2.because unlike full release things can get completely revamped as it is not a complete version

3.we won't be identified as testers and most of the player base would be angry for bugs Ina full-release game and less tweaks can be made particularly in platforms like PS4/Xbox1

It has been the same for  good 2/3 years now. Developers are worried that their game will be scrutinized too heavily, and therefore have a seamlessly ever lasting beta to keep players attached for the 'updates' and promise of a better game. The worst part is, that developers still insist on charging money for in game items. Which is completely outrageous. It's not just DE, a whole bunch of game companies do it. 

It's just the easy way out, to hide behind that 'beta' title forever and use it as an excuse. Let's be honest, if they were confident they would just refer to it as a full game, and let the new stuff be dlc.

That's the reason i won't spend money on this game, or any other which refers to itself as a beta. OUTRAGEOUS!!

they said theyre using these events to see how the communities react and to see what people like and on how they should handle future events (way way back in the devstream library)

looks like its also testing game modes in the proccess

It has been the same for  good 2/3 years now. Developers are worried that their game will be scrutinized too heavily, and therefore have a seamlessly ever lasting beta to keep players attached for the 'updates' and promise of a better game. The worst part is, that developers still insist on charging money for in game items. Which is completely outrageous. It's not just DE, a whole bunch of game companies do it. 

It's just the easy way out, to hide behind that 'beta' title forever and use it as an excuse. Let's be honest, if they were confident they would just refer to it as a full game, and let the new stuff be dlc.

That's the reason i won't spend money on this game, or any other which refers to itself as a beta. OUTRAGEOUS!!

Or maybe developers keep their game in beta/alpha phases because their games aren't ready for full release... There is no time limit on how long a game can remain in beta or alpha.

You really don't seem to understand what a beta phase is. They aren't going to go into full release when the game isn't even finished yet. We're missing tons of lore, a better new user experience, and quite a few of the key mechanics seem to be incomplete. Why in the world would they go into full release with the game in its current state?

This is a free 2 play indie game (or was, not 100% sure if they're still independent), how do you expect them to make money so that they can continue to afford to pay their employees? I don't care whether or not you want to spend money on this game, but do not act as if them setting up a cash shop is a bad thing. DE - our money = no warframe.

Or maybe developers keep their game in beta/alpha phases because their games aren't ready for full release... There is no time limit on how long a game can remain in beta or alpha.

You really don't seem to understand what a beta phase is. They aren't going to go into full release when the game isn't even finished yet. We're missing tons of lore, a better new user experience, and quite a few of the key mechanics seem to be incomplete. Why in the world would they go into full release with the game in its current state?

This is a free 2 play indie game (or was, not 100% sure if they're still independent), how do you expect them to make money so that they can continue to afford to pay their employees? I don't care whether or not you want to spend money on this game, but do not act as if them setting up a cash shop is a bad thing. DE - our money = no warframe.

Actually, it seems that you're the one who doesnt really understand what the point of a beta is. If a game has been playable for a year, and still isn't finished then something is seriously wrong. The point of a beta is to identify the issues and resolve them, not to add new content thus creating new problems.  Majority of the most beloved games of all time, had notoriously short betas ranging from 2 days xD to 3 months. They started with an almost complete product and worked out the kinks.

They would of made a bucket load more money if they showed confidence in their product at the one year anniversary point and released it as a full  game, with an accompanying marketing scheme. Then that would benefit everyone;

more awareness of the game(and therefore developer) => more people giving it a go => more money into the game => more money for DE to use as they so choose

Not trying to offend any fanboys, but as a fan of gaming for many  years, I am disgraced by how developers handle the current market. 

Actually, it seems that you're the one who doesnt really understand what the point of a beta is. If a game has been playable for a year, and still isn't finished then something is seriously wrong. The point of a beta is to identify the issues and resolve them, not to add new content thus creating new problems.  Majority of the most beloved games of all time, had notoriously short betas ranging from 2 days xD to 3 months. They started with an almost complete product and worked out the kinks.

They would of made a bucket load more money if they showed confidence in their product at the one year anniversary point and released it as a full  game, with an accompanying marketing scheme. Then that would benefit everyone;

more awareness of the game(and therefore developer) => more people giving it a go => more money into the game => more money for DE to use as they so choose

Not trying to offend any fanboys, but as a fan of gaming for many  years, I am disgraced by how developers handle the current market. 

No. How many betas and alphas have you seen that did not feature content updates? Go and find examples. There is nothing wrong with remaining in open beta for a year or longer, especially when your game is/was an indie game that relied primarily (as far as I can tell) on players for income. Provide examples, you get extra points if they are indie games.

No, they wouldn't have. Have you not seen the large amount of players who openly state that if this was released in its current state they'd [insert some angry response here ranging from dropping the game to asking for their money back]. There is no time limit for beta and alpha phases, if a game isn't complete after being in beta for a year it should remain in beta. Releasing an incomplete product will do nothing but hurt your game. 

I am not a fanboy but I have also been a fan of gaming for many years, I disagree with you as you aren't making any sense. The only thing that releasing this game in its current state is going to do is limit DE's ability to tweak/revamp/eliminate mechanics that they later decide aren't balanced/don't fit (e.g- Damage 2.0).

TL;DR- No matter how polished a game appears, or how long it has been in development, if it is incomplete it shouldn't be released as a full/completed game. Just look at Garry's Incident.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito