Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Levels on the surface of a planet.

Thornius

I think it would be awesome, if there were levels on planet surfaces, like on Earth, Mars etc. and they could have different hazards in different areas, etc. Also, some levels could be in caves. This could be a good way to add new missions, without filling the entire map with dots. (like, you click the planet on the planet selection screen, then click the planet again on that mission selection screen, where you select the missions that are in space. THEN you select the mission, that's on the surface of the planet. Please reply, to tell me what you think of this idea. Thank you for reading this.

Etc?

We ain't dancing on Mars, kiddo, our shields collapse if there's a little sleet in the hallway and our soles burn up the second someone spilled their coffee. Earth would probably the only planet we could go down. On. To. You know what I mean. But what about space stations instead of spaceships? Dyson spheres, hubs, shipyards, observation posts, fleet hangars, etc.

• Like 1

Etc?

We ain't dancing on Mars, kiddo, our shields collapse if there's a little sleet in the hallway and our soles burn up the second someone spilled their coffee. Earth would probably the only planet we could go down. On. To. You know what I mean. But what about space stations instead of spaceships? Dyson spheres, hubs, shipyards, observation posts, fleet hangars, etc.

Perhaps ground levels are possible within artificial atmospheres. We are in the future remember.

• Like 1

I've been wanting this sort of thing ever since I started playing Warframe, the missions are quite replayable but it definitely needs more variety other than ships. In addition to your suggestions: how about some defense or raid-like missions in the colonies and such, like urban warfare? A bit like Binary Domain minus the post-apocalyptic theme and god awful AI.

I've been wanting this sort of thing ever since I started playing Warframe, the missions are quite replayable but it definitely needs more variety other than ships. In addition to your suggestions: how about some defense or raid-like missions in the colonies and such, like urban warfare? A bit like Binary Domain minus the post-apocalyptic theme and god awful AI.

That's exactly what I was thinking of!

Perhaps ground levels are possible within artificial atmospheres. We are in the future remember.

Underground, maybe. I am not so much referring to a lack of oxygen, but also temperatures. Venus is mighty damn cold. Mercury is hot as hell. Mars isn't too pleasant either. The other planets are gas giants. Edited by Ced23Ric

I think the main issue with this would be that the levels are randomly generated. The current levels are likely made of "blocks" that can be pieced together in a random fashion. Making these blocks for an outdoor environment would be much harder.

I think the main issue with this would be that the levels are randomly generated. The current levels are likely made of "blocks" that can be pieced together in a random fashion. Making these blocks for an outdoor environment would be much harder.

I've replayed Lost planet 2 maps a million times and never got bored of them - just because they were outdoors and the monsters there were kind of always three times bigger than you making it really exciting to come back and fight these giants again.

I just want different designs. It feels all the same to me the different races have the same stuff. There isnt much other then Robots and humans and infected other stuff. I want to be able to see other things then the same lockers the same green storage and the same stairways hall ways and the random big rooms.

Etc?

Dyson spheres! I'm impressed to hear such concepts being discussed. I imagine such a situation could work. Plus, while it might seem a bit obvious, the devs could always take a little environmental inspiration from Halo and include organic overgrowth existing within or around ancient technology. I imagine inter-stellar agricultural forests and farms could exist. Heck, the Grenner might use trees to support enough oxygen on their ships to breathe without using their internal oxygen tanks.

I've replayed Lost planet 2 maps a million times and never got bored of them - just because they were outdoors and the monsters there were kind of always three times bigger than you making it really exciting to come back and fight these giants again.

Yes but Lost Planet 2 was specifically designed with mechanics in mind for those wide open spaces and huge monsters. Warframe's far more about close-quarters melee and third person shooting against foes ranging from below to slightly above human size (the biggest usually being around the size of Krogan or Rachni from Mass Effect). I'd imagine anything close to the monsters of Lost Planet 2 would be a boss fight at best, and would probably require it's own individual AI.

Yes but Lost Planet 2 was specifically designed with mechanics in mind for those wide open spaces and huge monsters. Warframe's far more about close-quarters melee and third person shooting against foes ranging from below to slightly above human size (the biggest usually being around the size of Krogan or Rachni from Mass Effect). I'd imagine anything close to the monsters of Lost Planet 2 would be a boss fight at best, and would probably require it's own individual AI.

Aside from the "Lost Planet 2-ish boss fight", it's still very doable I believe. Just imagine larger rooms, nothing near as big as an open-world instance even though that'd be fun, the only difference would be the different environment and maybe new enemies. Instead of containers, vents and corridors you'll have rocks, small jungles and... things.

Though I agree that Lost Planet 2 maps are too large scale and complex in comparison to what we've got.

Etc?

"A little sleet" doesn't cause everything around you to flash-freeze like that and most people don't drink their coffee at temperatures which melt metal.

Aside from the "Lost Planet 2-ish boss fight", it's still very doable I believe. Just imagine larger rooms, nothing near as big as an open-world instance even though that'd be fun, the only difference would be the different environment and maybe new enemies. Instead of containers, vents and corridors you'll have rocks, small jungles and... things.

Though I agree that Lost Planet 2 maps are too large scale and complex in comparison to what we've got.

Yes but if it's just a bunch of large rooms, then it'll end up playing more like just static arenas. In theory, the devs could still design the environments the same, just with natural looking aesthetics, but even then we'll still be essentially fighting in the same types of levels, just with a new coat of paint.

Actually though... hmm... if you could get a large enough arena area with multiple levels and objectives, potentially the Tenno could be defending an ancient enclave or maybe some civilian area. It's a bit vague on who isn't evil besides the Tenno, so there could be anything imaginable that the Tenno could do defend missions for. That would allow for hold missions. Potentially there could even be an optional "suicide mission" mode for the really hardcore players, allowing them to see how long they can survive (and still keep whatever XP they gain in the process). I mean, yes, the devs would have to keep a watch out for farming being too easy, but that's just a bit of math modification for when set in one of these types of missions. It could be quite fun, and hopefully feel a lot less static than similar attempts at arena/horde mode levels (we're looking at you, Mass Effect 3). The main thing to keep this different from the pack would be, instead of randomizing the level itself, randomizing the things that happen within the level. Maybe an enemy team breaches a security door or you lose all auto-defense systems because the power lines were disabled. It essentially would be a kobiyashimaru scenario, sort of like Killzone 3's Operations mode.

Yes but if it's just a bunch of large rooms, then it'll end up playing more like just static arenas. In theory, the devs could still design the environments the same, just with natural looking aesthetics, but even then we'll still be essentially fighting in the same types of levels, just with a new coat of paint.

Actually though... hmm... if you could get a large enough arena area with multiple levels and objectives, potentially the Tenno could be defending an ancient enclave or maybe some civilian area. It's a bit vague on who isn't evil besides the Tenno, so there could be anything imaginable that the Tenno could do defend missions for. That would allow for hold missions. Potentially there could even be an optional "suicide mission" mode for the really hardcore players, allowing them to see how long they can survive (and still keep whatever XP they gain in the process). I mean, yes, the devs would have to keep a watch out for farming being too easy, but that's just a bit of math modification for when set in one of these types of missions. It could be quite fun, and hopefully feel a lot less static than similar attempts at arena/horde mode levels (we're looking at you, Mass Effect 3). The main thing to keep this different from the pack would be, instead of randomizing the level itself, randomizing the things that happen within the level. Maybe an enemy team breaches a security door or you lose all auto-defense systems because the power lines were disabled. It essentially would be a kobiyashimaru scenario, sort of like Killzone 3's Operations mode.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with that, but of course if their resources aren't limited and if they're open to such an idea I'd prefer open-world-ish massive instances of course {Lost Planet, we meet again}. We don't even need huge monsters like in LP, just lots of obstacles that can serve as cover, or an.. obstacle. That's what I meant in my earlier post, imagine having a massive map divided into smaller areas with different zones surrounded either by trees, rocks or water/lava, even easier if we're talking about a Biodome level.

Good ideas though, it could be the rebel Grineer we're defending or some colony of black faceless people {hostages?} oppressed by them. About the randomising bit, I don't see why you can't have both.

Just a throw-away thought, no clue how hard it would be to implement technically - but a level on the exterior of a ship, running about in microgravity, while trying to shoot enemies would be awesome. Something akin to the world-walking in Mario Galaxy, but on the exterior of ships/shuttles/satellites, maybe even a meteor or an ancient Tenno space station??

If playing with gravity and rendering big empty enviroments like that would be too tricky - perahps we could just have a few segements of our regular maps - outdoors. Say, there's a breach in the ships hull, and we have to cross through the destroyed segment, shooting spacesuited enemies in the vacumn of space and watching their bodies spin away into the endless void. Something like an extended version of this scene ->

Edited by 11.11.11

All of my YES. I yearn for planet(or asteroid) exploration. On the grounds of Earth being the only one traversable, not true.

1. It's the future. Anything is possible at this point.

2. You're a space Ninja. Space. Ninja. Anything is possible at this point.

3. Biodome enviroments. Possibly, We could be on real terrain and the extreme conditions could provide a challenge. We have a random map where you're shieds fail in the sub-zero temperture on the ship. SO it may be possible coupled with the "it's the future" plot. Anything is possib - Ok I won't do it again d=

Point being is that I would love to explore the Planets. Especially since it's the Future. And the base plot has me wanting it more. What do these lands look like now so far into the future? Earth's description alone makes me want to visit it. Nothing but a shell of it's former self? And the Grineer empire rule over it? Knowing the Grineer, it's probably is a wasteland(or one giant industrial plant). I appove of this notion. Would be intriguing to say the least. =D

When i first got into Warframe, i thought there were going to surely be many missions on the planets themselves, taking the fight against the grineer to take back our solar system, going on Venus to take back possible colonies on it, fighting against the grineer while also fighting against the extremely dense and hot atmosphere of the planet, going on mars, fighting against the enemy on ancient underground caves, filled with mysteries surrounding Mars, possibly fighting against aliens and the grineer at the same time, or maybe going on top of a huge extremely fortified secret base on top of Jupiter's extremely stormy atmosphere, i don't know, anything awesome like that, sure, it's still beta, but i was kinda dissapointed for there only to be space-station, ship levels, all the stages look the same, come on devs, come up with something creative and epic, take notes on Mass Effect.