Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Levels on the surface of a planet.

Thornius

First thing to do is establish some canon backstory on the current status of other planets in this distant future universe. Currently this is all taking place in our current solar system, though I would hope to move on to other systems and establish entirely new planets, including new races that aren't grineer and corpus.

The best example to look at for traversing planetside maps is Mass Effect 2/3. While it appeared wide open and outdoor, the maps were probably tighter than most areas we currently have in Warframe ships. Everything was pretty linear, obviously, but very close quarters with defined areas of engagement. This could easily be adapted into the current 'tile' system of randomized spaceship environments we currently play in by cleverly restricting areas. Whether by sheer cliff faces, deep canyons, or some other mechanic by which to make it appear you are in a large world when your area of operation is quite narrow and tight.

And I would not discount the current status of any of the given planets of this solar system, as games like Red Faction Guerilla have established a means to colonize the surface for mining operations. This all taking place in some distant future, it is safe to say that earth would not be the only habitable atmosphere.

Etc?

We ain't dancing on Mars, kiddo, our shields collapse if there's a little sleet in the hallway and our soles burn up the second someone spilled their coffee. Earth would probably the only planet we could go down. On. To. You know what I mean. But what about space stations instead of spaceships? Dyson spheres, hubs, shipyards, observation posts, fleet hangars, etc.

Yeah I have to disagree with you mate and agree with original post. Fighting in the exact same space ship model in closed quarters is a bit much. I would love to be able to climb a mountain and take a sniper position on mars to cover my team.

Also, some levels could be in caves.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the Grineer levels we're working on have a lot of this feel... there is terrain and natural formations like rocks and dirt that provide interesting shapes and uneven surfaces. Think secret rocky underground base... in spaaaaaaace!

Think secret rocky underground base... in spaaaaaaace!

That sounds very intriguing and I'm of course excited about the new stuff, but... does it really have to be spaaaaaaace? :P can't we have some planetary or moon..etary.. action? Not asking for it right away but do you think you guys could consider doing something like that maybe in the future?

Like I mentioned in another thread, the Grineer levels we're working on have a lot of this feel... there is terrain and natural formations like rocks and dirt that provide interesting shapes and uneven surfaces. Think secret rocky underground base... in spaaaaaaace!

So their bases are built in asteriods in SPAAAAAACEEE!

Creo que como minimo este juego deberia contar con un escenario o entorno diferente en cada planeta.Espero que lo hagan porque ya apenas juego por lo repetitivo que se hace matar en las mismas zonas una y otra vez.Se que es una beta pero deberia tener mas de 1 mapa, por lo menos 2¿ sino que me voy a esperar del juego?Pues que no se para que sale de la nave el warframe cada vez que acabas una partida si va a volver al mismo sitio.Me da igual que los mapas sean abiertos o cerrados o que sean similares al actual pero con cambios significativos, que parezca que voy avanzando de un lugar a otro y no en naves con el mismo diseño.Podrian incluir otros enemigos y naves diferentes y creo que deberian hacer alguna estacion o base en algun planeta o en lunas y no siempre en naves.

Etc?

We ain't dancing on Mars, kiddo, our shields collapse if there's a little sleet in the hallway and our soles burn up the second someone spilled their coffee. Earth would probably the only planet we could go down. On. To. You know what I mean. But what about space stations instead of spaceships? Dyson spheres, hubs, shipyards, observation posts, fleet hangars, etc.

How do you explain the extraction we are exposed in space???

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Warframe community.

Just wanted to add my voice to the collective comments on map design. First and foremost, I love Warframe's art direction and map randomization. The maps are essentially lego sets, consisting of very large rooms for pieces. The addition of ice, infestations and color palettes depending on the system is a nice touch.

Though the gameplay may not work in more open levels and/or planet surfaces, there are some easy ways to work around this. We already have nice big windows on the spaceships to view the planets and asteroid belts. Perhaps the dev team could rework some of these "lego" pieces to have more windows or open cielings. You could essentially use a skybox for a colony on Mars or Earth without having the claustrophobic feeling of the cave levels we already have. Imagine an Earth colony map where you still have your space station setting, but the light shines through at an angle, rain drops, vines growing down, etc.

There could be a little more freedom for defense maps. Maps could be designed with barriers consisting of rock walls and man-made structures and yet you could still have the open sky to enjoy. This not only makes the game less claustrophobic and repetitive, but welcomes the presence of more flying enemies (jet pack Grineer, airborne infested etc.). The one concern with flying enemies at this point is when a player has no ammo. The flying Corpus sentries can be hit with a well-aimed melee attack. But then again, someone could argue that laser barriers are impossible to pass if one has no ammo to shoot the camera from afar. One more thing about defense map design - 3 to 8 waves in the same area can be tiresome. Why not take a note from a few other games where the waves are divided among sections of a map. For example, the first wave on a Mars colony could start indoors, move to an open faced terrace (with a deadly dropoff) and finally conclude with an elevator ride down to a narrow valley that bears an escape vehicle.

Despite these shortcomings, I've had a blast in the past few days playing Warframe with my friends. It's very well done for a beta. Keep up the good work, devs.

Yes but Lost Planet 2 was specifically designed with mechanics in mind for those wide open spaces and huge monsters. Warframe's far more about close-quarters melee and third person shooting against foes ranging from below to slightly above human size (the biggest usually being around the size of Krogan or Rachni from Mass Effect). I'd imagine anything close to the monsters of Lost Planet 2 would be a boss fight at best, and would probably require it's own individual AI.

Which is something Warframe really lacks. it makes long-range weapons that already exist such as the Latron and Snipetron practically useless. (beside the fact that they're underpowered lategame)

If DE's level-designers are actually talented, i'm sure they can pull something off so Warframe will see a few bigger rooms/platforms that have just the right amount of cover. spheres/domes are a good idea actually to make it plausible, as they could be both on the surface of a planet as well as on a huge cruiser-spaceship. (remember Pioneer 2 from PSO? it had a whole city inside the ship)

Also, having Bosses like Golem, Jackal etc being able to be twice the size would be amazing. the current bosses look rather unexciting and lack the impression of an actual boss.

Hello Warframe community.

Just wanted to add my voice to the collective comments on map design. First and foremost, I love Warframe's art direction and map randomization. The maps are essentially lego sets, consisting of very large rooms for pieces. The addition of ice, infestations and color palettes depending on the system is a nice touch.

Though the gameplay may not work in more open levels and/or planet surfaces, there are some easy ways to work around this. We already have nice big windows on the spaceships to view the planets and asteroid belts. Perhaps the dev team could rework some of these "lego" pieces to have more windows or open cielings. You could essentially use a skybox for a colony on Mars or Earth without having the claustrophobic feeling of the cave levels we already have. Imagine an Earth colony map where you still have your space station setting, but the light shines through at an angle, rain drops, vines growing down, etc.

There could be a little more freedom for defense maps. Maps could be designed with barriers consisting of rock walls and man-made structures and yet you could still have the open sky to enjoy. This not only makes the game less claustrophobic and repetitive, but welcomes the presence of more flying enemies (jet pack Grineer, airborne infested etc.). The one concern with flying enemies at this point is when a player has no ammo. The flying Corpus sentries can be hit with a well-aimed melee attack. But then again, someone could argue that laser barriers are impossible to pass if one has no ammo to shoot the camera from afar. One more thing about defense map design - 3 to 8 waves in the same area can be tiresome. Why not take a note from a few other games where the waves are divided among sections of a map. For example, the first wave on a Mars colony could start indoors, move to an open faced terrace (with a deadly dropoff) and finally conclude with an elevator ride down to a narrow valley that bears an escape vehicle.

Despite these shortcomings, I've had a blast in the past few days playing Warframe with my friends. It's very well done for a beta. Keep up the good work, devs.

By saying ''Hello Warframe community'' my brain thought that you are a forum moderator, or a developer, then I read the rest of your post.

• 10 years later...
On 2013-01-09 at 4:10 PM, Ced23Ric said:

Etc?

:)