Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Explosions Go Through Walls.

r110platinum

I noticed that radial damage goes through walls and floors.

It's kind of annoying since I can't take cover from bombards or napalms by standing behind a wall. It's been like this for as long as I can remember.

It works on our weapons too. If you shoot the ogris at the underside of a platform with enemies standing on it, they'll still take damage.

Listen. This will also HELP you in certain circumstances that YOU (I) need to blow things up behind a wall. Consider this a rule of the game and when you are in combat or searching for things (loot?) remember this rule. Walls block bullets.  Good luck!

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

I thought about it like that, since my rocket explosions being able to go through walls is kind of nice, but then again, I can't imagine something as un-intuitive as a 12 inch thick wall of steel isn't safe (for me or enemies for that matter) to hide from an explosion. I'm not stupid for thinking that am I? 

When I jump, I fall back down. When I run out of ammo, I need to reload. When I duck behind a wall to hide from a rocket....I get blown up anways.

It's just lazy game development in my opinion, I don't think this is a game mechanic (at least I hope to god it's not). Since there's no cover system already (and I understand the merits of that for this kind of game), me using softcover to try and find a safe place instead of zipping around the map back and forth (especially with someone with as weak of shields as Vauban) is kind of necessary. But along comes a Napalm or Bombardier, and all of that goes to crap.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. There's just levels of polish to the main mechanics that I would like to see fixed up. Having something like this just makes the game feel kind of "cheap", if I'm using the right word.

• 4 months later...

I think a good compromise for this issue would be limiting the amount of punch-through explosives have. A flimsy rail not protecting you from a rocket is understandable, but getting set on fire and heavily damaged by a Napalm grenade on the other side of a 5m thick chunk of wall or cover is a bit ridiculous.

I can't imagine something as un-intuitive as a 12 inch thick wall of steel isn't safe (for me or enemies for that matter) to hide from an explosion. I'm not stupid for thinking that am I?

The walls aren't made of steel, they're actually very hard paper mache lol

I think the formulas needed to calculate intersection points of spherical explosion volumes are not high on a list of things to fix.

I'd like to point out that in COD4, I could place a grenade next to me on a step 5 pixels lower then what I was on, and I would take no damage, even though I was 5 inches away, and 99.9% of my body was visible to the grenade.

All game engines have idiosyncrasies based on how they calculate things.

What we have is functional enough for use.

I think they fixed a lot of the explosives going through walls, namely thunderbolt... :'( RIP Thunderbolt Attica. Or it might be the fall out damage that was fixed. Erp.

Hmm... and radial blind was changed to not have it's "radial"-ness to it. It's more like "Blind" now.

Just something I'd thought I'd point out for future arguments.

If you fix that, you cannot play Archwing missions.

Enemies spawn in asteroids, dozens of meters thick and the only sure fire way is to bombard the offending rock with volleys of missiles.

Honestly until DE fixes the spawning issues, do not touch explosions.

Edited by fatpig84

Alternative solution: make enemy missile spam somehow avoidable. Currently they are unblockable and have a huge area of effect. Shooting projectiles out of the air is not very effective since they just keep coming and you need to reload.