Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fastest Way To Level Melee?

sinisterpink

Question

Leveling melee feels like it takes forever no matter what I do.

I've tried grinding on medium-high level defense missions (mainly infested) and extermination missions as well. But either way it takes like a whole day or two for me to level a melee weapon from 1-30 (I've tried with skana, fang, bo, and now working on dual zoren).

Am I doing it wrong? Can someone give me some tips on how to level them faster?

9 answers to this question

Whenever I get new weapons, I just equip them all and do runs of Tolstoj, and make sure I kill everything on the level.

Doesn't take very long, and gives good xp (with an affinity booster it does anyway).

Not sure if it's the most efficient, but it got my Heat Sword to 30, my Nyx to 20, and my Lex to 23 in about a day, maybe a short amount longer.

When I ran a defense mission to wave 30 or so, I got a ton of xp, so that might be the way to go.

*Edit*

Like others have mentioned (I probably should have), the reason why I (and many others) run Tolstoj is because of the Cronus Blueprint (which drops 100% of the time), and because the xp difference between a level 1-10 mob, and a 40-50 mob is pretty minimal considering the difficulty difference.

Also, I didn't get my Lex, Warframe and swords to level 20-30 in a day, probably took me a full day for the sword and Warframe, then I ran the mission the next day as well for the Lex.

To level up the fastest, you should make sure you kill every enemy with the weapon you are trying to rank up.

Edited by miniKAD

Even without an affinity booster, running Mercury (Tolstoj, usually. because Cronus blueprint-drop-to-sell) is a good idea. The key thing is that the enemies are weak enough that your brand new unmodded weapon doesn't bounce off like tissue paper, and the rewards are still good.

Notably, while you do apparently get more kill XP from higher-level enemies in higher-level missions...the reward difference between that and killing stuff in Mercury isn't really that great. So there's no reason not to do Mercury, unless you want more of a challenge. And if I want a challenge...I level a new warframe at the same time as the weapons.

I'm popping a Rhino and Plasma Sword out of the Foundry today, so I imagine I'll be mugging Captain Vor and rifling through his pockets for a while.

Edited by Acyl

How does exp split among the weapons you use? Will you typically get more melee exp for killing purely with melee (compared to shooting+meleeing), or does it not work like that?

Why did you run Tolstoj instead of a higher level map? Were you focusing more on farming credits?

Even without an affinity booster, running Mercury (Tolstoj, usually. because Cronus blueprint-drop-to-sell) is a good idea. The key thing is that the enemies are weak enough that your brand new unmodded weapon doesn't bounce off like tissue paper, and the rewards are still good.

Notably, while you do apparently get more kill XP from higher-level enemies in higher-level missions...the reward difference between that and killing stuff in Mercury isn't really that great. So there's no reason not to do Mercury, unless you want more of a challenge. And if I want a challenge...I level a new warframe at the same time as the weapons.

I'm popping a Rhino and Plasma Sword out of the Foundry today, so I imagine I'll be mugging Captain Vor and rifling through his pockets for a while.

Thanks for clarifying, I'll give Tolstoj a shot then. Thanks guys!!!

As additional clarification - people run Tolstoj because you can sell the Cronus blueprint that the boss drops for cash. In general, if you get bored, any of the low-level missions will do. The XP difference from killing enemies in low level missions vs. high level missions is not great.

As it currently stands, there really isn't enough incentive to do higher level missions in general, really.

If you kill things with the melee weapon and only the melee weapon, yes, it will level up faster - getting more XP than the other weapons equipped. I did test this specifically, going into runs with multiple unranked weapons.

The one I used more ranked up faster, simple as that.

Edited by Acyl

I usually run Jupiter - Io up to wave 10 or 15 (things could start getting ugly if you miss 1 hit from disruptor and there are toxics nearby). Gives about 10k xp to melee weapon per run (and I'm talking about Mire here, with multi-hit weapon things would be way easier).

Probably some Corpus mission with infinite Shockwave Moas would be even better, but too lazy to search for one.