Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There Any Way To De-Link Difficulty And Reward?

Tigercloud

Like all the things which make the game more difficult and people complain about, leave them in in some type of additional hard mode, but don't give any additional rewards for them. When people can't get their rewards, they complain. Give us challenges, but don't make it so we need to get loot from them. Just make them harder for its own sake, and put it off to the side so we can play in it. Make it INTERESTING.

Warframe is not difficult in the same way games like Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls are, and until the game becomes something that actually requires skill, even if challenges were implemented they would be very close to the "challenge" in nightmare mode.

This is an open beta, right? Where new things are tried and if they don't work, they get changed. We all know we're guinea pigs anyways. I think it would be an interesting experiment to put this mode in as a sandbox for DE and the players to try new things in without messing up the main game.

Warframe is not difficult in the same way games like Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls are, and until the game becomes something that actually requires skill, even if challenges were implemented they would be very close to the "challenge" in nightmare mode.

And part of the problem with that, honestly, is because of greater difficulty = greater rewards. Once you do that, you gate the best gear behind high difficulty content, and if you aren't good enough to beat that higher difficulty, you complain. Even things which interrupt the normal flow of destroy ALL THE THINGS, like the pre-nerfed mutalist ospreys, are subject for complaints, because they slow down/make the average player unable to get their credits, XP, farm their mods, etc.

I thought of this after fighting the post-nerf mutalists and being disappointed. I remember there's been a number of things in the game which have been changed/removed because they were either rightly too hard, or because people didn't like the extra effort it required of them for the game.

I realize that this would take effort to implement, but it could be just what the game needs. By removing reward from a segment of the game that is significantly more difficult, and using this segment to experiment and try new things which won't raise a huge public outcry because only players who want that challenge will go there, and no one will be required to go there for rewards, we get a new sub-dimension of Warframe where hardcore players can go for a challenge, and DE can find new gameplay elements that they can implement into the normal game.

I know most people want to be rewarded for their efforts, but this causes a major problem for increasing game difficulty, as I said. It makes a feedback loop which cannot be escaped. If you make things more difficult and make it so the best rewards are behind that difficulty, people will complain until the standard is lowered enough to be in the majority's reach. I'm explaining the same phenomenon over and over because it's true. What I'm proposing here is for DE to try something revolutionary as a sideways move. De-link reward and difficulty for a small section of the game, in a new mode. Occasionally try out new things in this new mode for players who want the challenge to test. Make a sandbox for us, DE. This is open beta.