Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniping And Potential A Frame That Is Suited For It

alif3

At the moment as most users know sniping is not very viable, and that snipers themselves are under powered. The later part has been greatly fleshed out by many users with statistical evidence and ideas of how to correct it. The viability of sniping on the other hand will not be greatly increased even with the statistical changes necessary to get them up to an acceptable level. So I've been thinking that a way to encourage the use of snipers and include those of us who love using snipers as our weapon of choice would be to create a frame that really enhances snipers and the gameplay surrounding them. The answer is not stealth as we have loki ash and banshee who all partially fit this bill but are still better off using either melee or other powerful rifles.

I would like to use this post as a place to brainstorm ideas regarding a frame that would be exceptionally suited to this play style and potentially exclusively for it. 

and 

GO!

Sniping in this game cannot be made viable without it being turned into something not sniping related.

This game is not made for sniper rifles.

And again

inb4 some old founder comes in and exclaims this and that were the perfect most op weapon ever in history back in the day etc.

I don't care. They are worthless now. Take em outta the game, the work you will have to do to make them viable isn't worth it at all whatsoever.

They'll never make an objective mode where you NEED to snipe.

They'll never make an enemy where you NEED to snipe.

So why keep them? No reason at all. Garbage.

A timed ability thats similar to the melee hit counter but with snipers. The bonuses from multipliers would be fire rate, reload speed, and crit dmg buffs.

Another ability for this warframe would be camoflage, something similar to what a chamleon does but only for the spot that the warframe is currently in

I think the real question you have to ask is how practical is using a sniper gun in such a fast paced game such as Warframe really is? The problem really presents itself in defense missions, while your up high killing one target at a time, the others on your team are killing hordes of enemies so how is that benefiting your team? Maybe on a solo exterminate mission, maybe even capture missions, defense, mobile defense require each team member to kill more than one at a time. In my opinion I think sniper weapons are more of a novelty weapon than something that is viable and useful on the missions that require more than one enemy to killed at a time.

Sniping in this game cannot be made viable without it being turned into something not sniping related.

And again

inb4 some old founder comes in and exclaims this and that were the perfect most op weapon ever in history back in the day etc.

I don't care. They are worthless now. Take em outta the game, the work you will have to do to make them viable isn't worth it at all whatsoever.

They are good on interception mission to take out the pesky enemies going towards the console.

They have a place, and will gain more space as the game progresses. These kind of posts are ridiculous, just cause you dont like it, or cant find a place for them, doesnt mean they have to go.

I can assure you, I don't think they ever really had a time to shine ever with the bows being a thing :P

They are good on interception mission to take out the pesky enemies going towards the console.

They have a place, and will gain more space as the game progresses. These kind of posts are ridiculous, just cause you dont like it, or cant find a place for them, doesnt mean they have to go.

Okay lol.

A timed ability thats similar to the melee hit counter but with snipers. The bonuses from multipliers would be fire rate, reload speed, and crit dmg buffs.

Another ability for this warframe would be camoflage, something similar to what a chamleon does but only for the spot that the warframe is currently in

Well done someone actually tried for the intended purpose of this thread I really like both those ideas 

also thank you for reminding me of volt i will try him out in a sniper role however doesnt the conversion of damage to electrical damage from the shield reduce his effectiveness

i have had a good amount of success with Excalibur as well due to his super jump allowing you to easily achieve good sniping spots

banshees silence is ok and sonar is ok ive never really fallen in love with it

im curious why you say zephyr please explain!

and I can understand the objection from a gameplay pace standpoint but if youre good enough you can run and gun with sniper maybe just not as well as other guns but I've run exclusively with vectis and snipetron vandal on alot of mission effectively even defense where you get a lot of enemies, idk I just feel like if there was some more dedicated support from a frame it could become a very viable and fun playstyle

I always wanted to use sniper rifles, but the game is usually so fast paced, I could never find a good way to use them, so stopped trying. The bows are useful to me, but I stopped using the sniper rifles.

I guess an OP way to make the relatively UP snipers good is to have a Warframe with an ability to auto target without missing or a mod that does that but with a miss (or won't miss) chance.

But think what that would do for the Soma *Shivers*.

Snipers exclusive is the way to go.

Edited by OriVerda

I think the real question you have to ask is how practical is using a sniper gun in such a fast paced game such as Warframe really is? The problem really presents itself in defense missions, while your up high killing one target at a time, the others on your team are killing hordes of enemies so how is that benefiting your team? Maybe on a solo exterminate mission, maybe even capture missions, defense, mobile defense require each team member to kill more than one at a time. In my opinion I think sniper weapons are more of a novelty weapon than something that is viable and useful on the missions that require more than one enemy to killed at a time.

Punch through helps with taking out large swaths of mobs at a time, usually defense missions.

If we have more challenging bosses, then Snipers would shine there more so than normal weaponry. 

Take a cue from ash's ulti and have shadows / clones spawn  for a timed duration around an area where enemies are now marked. As you get consecutive kills, your shadows get kills at the same rate as you.

Another ability could be primed shell where if you one shot snipe an enemy, they explode in a smallish radius and what ever the remains splash on is now primed to explode so you can chain together a bunch of kills.

These actually take a little bit more skill than the abilities theyre similar too and with a few tweaks could actually become viable with a sniper focused frame

And again

Well since you called...

Snipetron was a fine weapon back in its day, and the Vandal was just an improvement over it, it was the go-to single shot weapon for a long time since the Lanka didn't have hit scan bullets. It only started to fall off around level 100 enemies because it only has 25% crit chance. 

And the work YOU would have to do is zero. The most work I can possibly imagine you doing that involves snipers is selling them. This thread is about making sniping viable, since you don't want to do that you can get out.

The problem they have is numbers. They don't have enough crit chance to scale well into the late game. The best sniper right now is the Vectis, because it has a low reload time and passable crit chance but even it can't hit 100% cit like bows and the amprex/synapse can. 

Ideally to balance them around bows they would need equal crit chance and maybe a tad higher damage but slower firing rate. Punch through would help tremendously but we have mods for that if we really need it. 

As for a frame that would help sniping specifically but not help guns in general too much? Perhaps something that amplifies your guns physical damage and punch through for some period of time (with magic railgun magnets or something like that) but lowers their fire rate down some amount to a cap. 

That seems like a reasonable response but rather than a lowered fire rate perhaps a capped fire rate as that would be more effective than percentage reduction as you could still get around it with mods. That would be awesome also another idea would be to convert the rounds to explosive rounds for snipers only so the enemy would explode on headshots or something which would really encourage accurate sniping!