Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rank 15 Needs Some Goodies

(PSN)ZMPr0wLer

I'm all for a few cosmetics as a reward on the higher tiers. I was toying with the idea of Prime frames tying into mastery rank, but upon further thought, that'd be a hell of a S#&$storm if implemented.

Maybe the new focus system will be interesting enough to fill that niche.

The focus system may be dead as we have not heard anything about it for a while since they trashed the first concept and went back to the drawing board. And I'm rank 15 with two weapons to rank 16. Still need detron, dark dagger, dark sword. Edited by Zaresin

Honestly ALL ranks need more content, should really spread those weapons around a bit more.

Yay. Lets move Boltor Prime all the way up to MR15.

I'll feast on the tears of people complaining the day DE realizes that this is the only way to prevent newcomers to skip gameplay to get endgame content right away and therefore burnout within 1-2 weeks because there's like literally nothing else to do then. ;D

Edited by MeduSalem

Meh. Delivering exclusives whether it be aesthetic or usable content to people who grind up their mastery is counter-intuitive to DE's necessity of yielding some margin of profit from their game.

Basically, to explain how exclusive content for extreme high tier players is counterintuitive; This costs money. Most players who grind ranks are not as likely to spend money as those with lower ranks. They are not as likely to buy items unless they are cosmetic. At such high rank very few players will actually put money on the products as they are a minority.

High ranked cosmetics, not such a bad idea. Usable items? No.. just no.

The ultimate question is... will catering to the desire for more e-peen really yield any profit? Or will it just make a technical minority satisfied/happy for a time?

I'm sure DE has considered this. Business logic would dictate to only create cosmetics for high ranks. End-game players will eventually leave due to tedium. New players will keep the game alive and profit flowing. An insanely large checklist of content locked behind a rank system is likely to turn off new players as they will eventually tire from the endless grind in order to achieve such a rank so that they can use more content. Thus, new players leave earlier and less profit is generated. (Also, most players will want to use whatever they enjoy. Not collect everything just to grind.)

Good day.

^ Hilarious. Truly.

A couple thousand platinum and support for a game was enough to buy a founders pack. I did not care to have my name displayed on a system map, thus I only got the masters.

I guess kickstarter backers also put in money for e-peen based on this logic? Fascinating.

^ Hilarious. Truly.

A couple thousand platinum and support for a game was enough to buy a founders pack. I did not care to have my name displayed on a system map, thus I only got the masters.

I guess kickstarter backers also put in money for e-peen based on this logic? Fascinating.

I hate to say it but founders seem to always going to receive hates from the newer players that did not start till after that particular pack was retired, it extends to those of the ember prime access as well just not as much and only due to the cosmetics that were at the top tier of it. I've received quite a bit of hate from people in game because of it. I hate seeing people belittled because they were willing to spend money to help a game they enjoy.

On the surface, adding more things across mastery rank makes sense because of the paucity of elements that actually matter across the current spread.

However, the already requires a fair time investment to use the weapons that are mastery locked.  All those frames/sentinels/weapons take up slots of which you start with very little.  This necessitates them either spending plat or selling off things as they master them and sort of dropping back to "noob" status as they they shed their stronger gear.  In this way, the path towards higher mastery works against actually "collecting" things unless you're also willing to pay.

There's more to it though.  Let's assume you have infinite space.  You can get accustomed to grinding things out as you play and leveling a bunch of items to 30 to get your rank higher.  How many of those weapons do any of us actually use though?  Can any of us honestly say that every weapon we took to 30 we intended to use in a more permanent fashion?  Or were there a fair chunk of things that we took to 30 just for the mastery rank points?  

The design of the game as it stands now makes it hard to tell sometimes if weapon is very useful/good unless you to level it up (and potato/forma it as well in some cases).  However, many players might be able to tell early on that they don't like shotguns, or other certain types of weapons.  If you lock *useful* content behind very high mastery ranks, then you effectively force players to level up tons of crap they may not want to use (maybe even hate using) to get to the stuff they want.  Further, you force them to throw away all the things you're forcing them to level unless they spend real money, which is a bit perverse.  

That would be horrible game design.  People are supposed to have fun playing.  As it is right now, you can probably get to 8 without using a lot of stuff that you're not interested in.  That's a good place to be.  The point at which you force people to not just grind (ranking up tons of things) but grind things they don't like using (slow melee weapons, etc.) is the point where you've made gameplay a chore for the sake of elitism.  Someone could say," yeah... I used the Boltor Prime that requires mastery rank 14.  I had to grind so many annoying weapons and frames to get here, but now I can laugh at the noobs that weren't willing to go through as much tedium as me!"

The thing is, we already have content that's locked behind grinding and tedium.  They're called primes.  Don't add another layer to that bs.  I'm sorry if you feel you deserve a special reward for leveling up weapons you had to grind for that are already better than regular weapons.  The items themselves were supposed to be the reward.  Mastery rank just becomes shorthand for whether or not you've subjected yourself to all that grinding.

The least objectionable idea here is wearable badges for mastery rank, or maybe being able to unlock purchase of weapon/frame skins.  Adding anything else doesn't make sense with how things are designed currently.  

The mastery system Warframe has is, like so many things in this game, poorly thought out and implimented.

It should be either redone properly (pretty hard to do considering the sheer number of "junk" weapons ingame) or scrapped.

it's dumb to restrict weapons with ranks.

i could be rank 12 right now if i cared for ranks.

but i'm only rank 8 and thats only cause i wanted to use dragon katana

More or less.

I don't rank unless there are items I want.  If and until there is actually a reason to level up, I will be sitting at rank 8 forma'ing my gear.

It's called "Progressive Rewarding". Pretty common actually.

Allah. Buddha. Justin Bieber.

Progressive rewarding is beneficial. It keeps a player from say, buying the top tier weapon/frame and going straight to Sechura. Then you have endgame content and just started playing. Not good.

Locking content behind a grindwall of Mastery Rank is not an effective way to implement progressive rewarding.

DE is creating a new quest system. Usable content should be locked behind completion of certain "quests." This will reward players for playing the game. Furthermore, they will be rewarded for playing how they want to play. Not by being forced to go through arbitrary junk that they will eventually throw away and never look at again.

Play the game and enjoy it for rewards > Grind like hell and burn out for rewards

I didnt realise that mr effected the ammount of resource drones you could deploy, ive always been able to have 4 out, but yeah i wish it did more haha.

Like maybe some mr locked free skins for stuff or more slots, or maybe even a lore section in the codex that unlocks new bits with each rank.

There should be a reward or something for ranking up. It shows that a player is purchasing  and / or farming weapons, frames and parts.

Why even have mastery rank past 8 if there is absolutely nothing that is gained fom achieving it. Hell even a badge or something cosmetic would do like a symbol or 

I'm all for a few cosmetics as a reward on the higher tiers. I was toying with the idea of Prime frames tying into mastery rank, but upon further thought, that'd be a hell of a S#&$storm if implemented.

Maybe the new focus system will be interesting enough to fill that niche.

There should be a reward or something for ranking up. It shows that a player is purchasing  and / or farming weapons, frames and parts.

Why even have mastery rank past 8 if there is absolutely nothing that is gained fom achieving it. Hell even a badge or something cosmetic would do like a symbol or number by my username in game. Maybe i'm biased because Ive been 15 for awhile and it took a lot to get there

But I could see the chit storm for lost mastery points for ps4 players if DE doesnt handle it right, if and when it happens

The lore idea would be great along with some cosmetic stuff that others talked about locking a few frames up like hydroid or even loki Prime is kinda dumb now that i think about it they are kinda locked up with the ability to get there or actual do the mission. that or DE can sell the frame for plat which in turn makes their pay check so i say no locking frames. 

on the other hand the only times when it is 11,000 mastery points is needed is when pc and ps4 are out of sorts is when it is needed for the next mastery rank but even then most people that were not around in the beginning missed out on a few weapons. the last time is was a problem for ps4 was 14 to 15 even then it was fixed really quick with new weapons dex firus fixed the problem i think.

Yay. Lets move Boltor Prime all the way up to MR15.

I'll feast on the tears of people complaining the day DE realizes that this is the only way to prevent newcomers to skip gameplay to get endgame content right away and therefore burnout within 1-2 weeks because there's like literally nothing else to do then. ;D

I'm rank 15 and against the idea of having a rank next to your name.  The reason being is that it will make it hard for lower level players to join matches in the recruitment channel.  That will cause a divide in the community. 

I'm also against have another extractor as a reward.  By rank 15, I do not have a problem with resources. 

Unique skins for weapons, unique cosmetics, those are good ideas, but they would have to be available in the market.  This is a "free" game after all.  DE has to make money, we all need to eat to live. 

I recommend slight bonuses to the Warframe.  It can be a melee/rifle/pistol damage increase; increased XP (good for when you forma a weapon); increased armor (say 5-10% at key levels); increased movement speed, increased chance for loot, etc.  It does not have to have the same effect for all frames either.  Different frames would get a different bonus at different MR. 

Yes it is a linear progression, but the changes only need to be minute so they are not game breaking. 

That would be horrible game design.  People are supposed to have fun playing.  As it is right now, you can probably get to 8 without using a lot of stuff that you're not interested in.  That's a good place to be.  The point at which you force people to not just grind (ranking up tons of things) but grind things they don't like using (slow melee weapons, etc.) is the point where you've made gameplay a chore for the sake of elitism.  Someone could say," yeah... I used the Boltor Prime that requires mastery rank 14.  I had to grind so many annoying weapons and frames to get here, but now I can laugh at the noobs that weren't willing to go through as much tedium as me!"

The thing is, we already have content that's locked behind grinding and tedium.  They're called primes.  Don't add another layer to that bs.  I'm sorry if you feel you deserve a special reward for leveling up weapons you had to grind for that are already better than regular weapons.  The items themselves were supposed to be the reward.  Mastery rank just becomes shorthand for whether or not you've subjected yourself to all that grinding.

The least objectionable idea here is wearable badges for mastery rank, or maybe being able to unlock purchase of weapon/frame skins.  Adding anything else doesn't make sense with how things are designed currently.  

OP here i have read a lot of the post some great ideas that at this point would make the tedium a lot more bearable. yet, i have also read it countless other post of i am rank 8 or rank 9 why go any farther, to me a MR 14 or 15 player should go a lot farther in a T3 and T4 keys and with that the weapons and abilities to do so. As of right now I can tell you of how many low rank players on PS4 have the boltor prime it makes me sick. I have lost a lot of friends to other games as oh, i now can have every weapon in the game, countless times.Yes with the new trading system of primes has see a host of new noobs with some of the best weapons and frames plat can buy and not long after the beauty is gone.

as of right now i see so few of high rank players on past the MR of 13 on PS4, I do not know of PC, that getting to said MR is not worth the effort put into it. I posted this topic to bring it to all MRs to know what it means and that DE will at some point have to find away to capture the beauty of The Grind for the higher ranking members, event help but at some point it will not become enough.

Cosmetics on the other hand yes I would buy a Sandayna* or a badge to show off my MR in the Dojo or the soon to be Hub worlds. The extractors would be nice tho when you do need to get the one component that you need that is why at some point when it gets where 20 or even 30 MR is the new peak and you need the 4th or 5th extractor which covers half the planets.

Edited by (PS4)ZMPr0wLer

Mastery rank 10 currently.  Just to get it out of the way.

I level up weapons/frames to try them out and see if I like them (and if I don't like them, to see if more points will make them better or not).  I do the mastery tests to see if they are fun and to see if I can pass them.  At rank 4 I remember being aggravated that I couldn't use the Flux Rifle that I had researched, and that annoyance had nothing to do with "gee, I need to up my mastery".  It was just annoying.

Unlocking badges or some such would be okay, but I am against adding mastery locks over the current system's upper limits.