Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Innate Passives

GlamourChariot

An idea I've been kicking around between my friends while on the quest for resources is the idea of innate passives unique to each Warframe. It'd be a minor status effect of some description and be ever present on the frame, not as a mod card.

With the extra vector added frames considered "bad" or useless in particular situations could be given a little extra utility while giving more options to balance out the frames that are a little absurd, as well as making each frame just that little bit more unique and cool.

As a minor extra, passives could help with fixing the 'frames that need a rework in that their obsolete abilities (Saryn's melee poison) could be changed to an innate passive and be given a new ability to give them more viability. If the mod system is ever fixed so that base power levels are determined by level and mods are returned to utility and unique effects (ala the CB system of skill trees with mods as a mere cool bonus) the passives would be a good way to help frames scale via being better as they level, or even just being percent based. Examples are below. 

Valkyr - Innate lifesteal based on enemies in vicinity, for all weapons. Scales from X% at range from enemies to Y% when in a group hug with several baddies, with Y > X. Helps enforce her role as a berserker that tanks damage through dealing damage, while also giving her more incentive to actually go ham on the melee. Suggest that the lifesteal from her ult is removed if this were to be added, but it should be part of a rework to her anyway.

Excalibur - Every ability used in a short period increases the damage of your melee weapon, scaling from X% - Y% in increments of Z% with each ability used. This encourages actually using super jump to engage, followed by slash dashes to increase your melee damage output to finish off any enemies left. This allows Excalibur to be the anime dash-slashing badass that he deserves to be, while adding more viability to melee on the frame.

Ash - Deals bonus X% damage to any enemy under Y% health with all weapons. This allows Ash to be the edgy ninja stealth assassin he so desperately wants to be, giving you the opportunity to weaken enemies up with gunfire and shuriken and then press 4 to massacre the crippled masses without a doubt that they won't survive.

Loki - Upon being knocked over, the offending enemy is also ragdolled. Tying in the Loki being the trickster master with an Excalibuttload of utility, this passive allows Loki to overcome his squishiness in case he fails a handspring (in the skill based system that is surely coming because DE promised it AGES ago) by not taking damage from at least the one enemy that caused his topple, potentially allowing his team to kill a heavy with the free CC. It also promotes potentially risky plays by baiting out a ground slam from Grineer heavies to easily clear them once they trip themselves up, with Loki getting a free escape via switch teleport or invis.

Banshee - All weapons are 50% silenced. Fairly self explanatory, Silence should be replaced by something useful anyway.

Ember - Enemies within X meters of Ember are afflicted with a burning tick for Y% of their health per second. Giving Ember some much needed scaling and promoting getting into the thick of the fight to do maximum damage. She needs more help with her abilities either way.

Frost -  Hostile units within X meters of Frost are slowed by Y%. Mmm, Frosty.

Hydroid - Any allies within the radius of any of Hydroid's abilities are refreshed for X energy, this may only proc once per ability cast. That mad utility, yo.

Mag - Robotics within X meters of Mag malfunction. Disabled robotics cease to function while under the effect of her aura, immobile and disabled but still intact. If still in one piece when outside the area of effect, the robotics return to their standard state and continue as they were. Rollers, Latchers, Cameras, all disabled with a leisurely stride by Ms. Mag. Gives her some usefulness against Grineer by preventing roller spam against the team, while making her the magical anti-door-laser girl that every Tenno Team dreams of.

Nekros - Upon killing an enemy unit Nekros restores X energy. YOUR SOUL IS MINE. Allows excessive use of the 3 key which is all anyone uses anyway.

Nova - Power strength is increased by X% for every Y% extra Energy Cost. Mass nukage with consequences.

Nyx - Aggro chance reduced by X%. I don't have many good ideas soooo....

Rhino - Rhino takes X% less damage for every Y% health he's missing, with a cap of Z% reduction. Nerf the hell out of iron skin so that it's just damage reduction and make it stack with this. He'll be surprisingly tanky, scale better and not be full braindead mode the whole way if the numbers are right.

Saryn - Melee attacks by Saryn cause enemies to melt under her influence, dealing X% of their health in DoT, stacking exponentially with each strike and a cap of Y% damage per enemy inflicted. (Bosses should be able to purge debuffs or be straight up immune).

Vauban - He's got a full bag of tricks, just needs to sustain them. Vauban gains X% more ammo, health and energy from pickups in the field.

Volt - Upon gaining energy, Volt releases a blast of excess power in a X meter radius around his person, dealing damage based on the amount of energy gained. Free nuke that encourages you to play as a speedy electric caster. Potent alternative to gun play you say? 

Zephyr - While airborne, Zephyr deals X% more damage with all abilities and weapons. Self explanatory. 

Trinity - Enemies killed by Trinity have an X% higher chance to drop a health orb. Heals for days, self sustain, team loves based Trinity.

Oberon - Allies healed by Oberon or a health orb created by Reckoning deal X% more damage for Y seconds. Enforces his role as a more aggressive healer than Trinity while making him a lot less useless in general.

Don't think I missed anyone. 

So, ideas, thoughts and comments?

it's cool but honestly the game is already way too easy for stuff like this

Hence the part I mentioned about praying for a mod rework (hopefully with improved skill trees involved). They need to rescale 90% of the game for it to survive either way.

Seen this thread a few dozen times.

Doesn't mean a new discussion can't take place given that it's clearly something at least some portion of the playerbase likes the idea of.

Just like being on the internet doesn't mean you have to give sass to everybody just because you have anonymity. 

DE said no.

DE also said no to PvP.
Edited by GlamourChariot

DE said no passives. Then added Zephyr, who has a passive. Still, no passives. It's a balance nightmare.

They also promised no PvP and skill based parry + handspring. 

You must be DElirious if you think they keep promises 100% of the time.

*Edit:

Just for clarity because I didn't want the tone of this to come off as hostile, but you have a point with balance issues. Especially with how bad they've proven to be at it already. But if it were to be successfully executed it'd allow a greater degree of control over balance of frames in the long run. I'm still of the opinion they should overhaul the base game before *ALL* else but it's not like they're going to listen to the near 1000+ liked threads that point out their mistakes, unfortunately :/

Edited by GlamourChariot

They also promised no PvP and skill based parry + handspring. 

You must be DElirious if you think they keep promises 100% of the time.

*Edit:

Just for clarity because I didn't want the tone of this to come off as hostile, but you have a point with balance issues. Especially with how bad they've proven to be at it already. But if it were to be successfully executed it'd allow a greater degree of control over balance of frames in the long run. I'm still of the opinion they should overhaul the base game before *ALL* else but it's not like they're going to listen to the near 1000+ liked threads that point out their mistakes, unfortunately :/

Heaven forbid.  I don't like the seeming ignorance towards many of the game's problems, but I still have to give them the benefit of the doubt until they say the game is officially released (as if it would matter at this point) since the idea is to get in all of the major systems (... like tomogachi kubrows) then focus on overall game balance and fixes.

Is it any wonder betas are considered a joke anymore though?

Doesn't mean a new discussion can't take place given that it's clearly something at least some portion of the playerbase likes the idea of.

Just like being on the internet doesn't mean you have to give sass to everybody just because you have anonymity. 

You misunderstand. If I wished to sass you, I would have provided the exact reasons DE would use to shoot your idea down.

This topic hasn't been discussed just once or twice. You aren't going to suddenly uncover new points of discussion. If you wish to prove me wrong, feel free to dig up any of the many previous threads with this same subject.