Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Melee Weapons Should Be Doing More Damage.

Aktriaz

Sure, it was nice to have Longswords and Daggers become viable. Heavy weapons were once the kings, if someone saw you sporting a Heat Sword, they'd say "dude really?"

But sadly now, the Heavy weapons, Scythes, Axes, Greatswords and Hammers alike have fallen behind. The only heavy weapon that is worth using is Jat Kittag.

The problems with heavy weapons:

Connecting attacks in non-infested Crowds: Heavy weapons are extremely clumsy and unwieldy against enemies that aren't constantly charging into melee. With movement speed reduced so low during attacks, it makes connecting targets extremely difficult.

Attack Speed vs Damage Dealt: Longswords have roughly twice the average attack speed of most heavy weapons, and along with Spoiled Strike, most can deal MORE DAMAGE A HIT while still having a faster attack. (Not to mention superior mobility and connecting attacks)

Why People will still use the Jat Kittag:

-Decent Reach, easier to connect targets

-Actually decent attack speed, can take a Spoiled strike and remain usable

-Great slam knockdown, great for controlling even non-infested crowds

-High Damage, almost rivals the Dragon Nikana

-Nice utility, has a base 25% status chance

Here are my suggested changes for all the heavy weapons:

1: +30-40 Damage across the board. (Yes, that's a lot of damage, but with how slow heavy weapons attacks, and how slow they make you move, I think it's a fair trade off, considering how Spoiled Strike is not recommended on most heavy weapons)

2: Give Heavy weapons more variety in their utility. Like Scythes having good crits (To my knowledge, no heavy weapon has a viable crit chance), Axes and Greatswords good status chance (Galatine already fits this), and give Hammers better slam knockdown.

Light melee weapons can remain mobile and fast, and heavy weapons can become the slow-but-strong damage power-houses they should be.

And before people start saying "history will repeat itself blah blah people will only use heavy weapons now blah blah" No, I disagree. The reason heavy weapons were used back then, was because of charge attacks. Any weapon with a charge damage lower than 160 was unusable for most of the game content. And since charge attacks could be timed, there was little loss in dps and connecting attacks for heavy weapons. Now that charge attacks have been removed, and regular attacks have gotten a buff, speed and mobility have more value. But since heavy melee weapons have a slow attack speed, (and it doesn't make sense to give the Fragor a 3.5 attack speed) the only logical buff is to to have base damage upped.

Tell me what you think, or what Changes, you'd like to see. Just keep it polite, and be constructive.

iirc what DE tried to do to keep heavies viable was make it so that their channel damage was higher than a non-heavy weapons channel though its not really working out, i like your first suggestion with increased damage, im fine with my galatine hitting less often than my dual zorens, just make it so that one galatine swing hurt. a lot.

I agree with all of this, I'd just like to add that the Fragor and the Galatine are two heavy weapons with good crit chance and damage.

Galatine only has a 10% crit chance... (It has a 20% status chance)

You're right about Fragor though.

iirc what DE tried to do to keep heavies viable was make it so that their channel damage was higher than a non-heavy weapons channel though its not really working out, i like your first suggestion with increased damage, im fine with my galatine hitting less often than my dual zorens, just make it so that one galatine swing hurt. a lot.

Amen.

30-40? some weapons do like 60, they should do around 70-90 but with a VERY slow attack speed, like heavy weapons are SUPPOSED to be, because they are heavy and stuff

With the exception of the Reaper Prime and the Hate, they all do have a very slow attack speed while only doing a little over half as much damage as the Dragon Nikana per swing. Bumping most of them up only 30 points of damage would at most make them usable though still completely outclassed. Especially because of how the heavy weapons would never even be able to take advantage of the combo multiplier.

Source? As far as I know channeling on a heavy weapon does the exact same as channeling on a regular weapon. In fact I'm pretty sure that was just a  popular suggestion as to  how to fix heavy weapons.

Edited by RancidTurnip1603