Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Sentinel Attack Precepts Universal

Kappatalist

(not sure if this is the right category, but it seemed like the most accurate one)

You know the Sentinel precepts like Warrior, Striker, and Revenge?  The ones that make your Sentinel attack enemies with its equipped weapon?  As they are now, I find them kind of silly, while there is potential for a new degree of Sentinel customization.  Only one of them - Revenge - will instruct the sentinel to hold fire unless you're attacked; this makes it ideal for stealthy play, but it can only be equipped on Shade.  Meanwhile, every other Sentinel in the game has the same exact attack precept - shoot on sight if in range - but with a different name, each being exclusive to its home Sentinel.

What if I want to waltz in with Loki Prime, cloaking through a mission in style with Wyrm Prime at my side?  As it stands, as soon as I go for an uncloaked stealth kill, Wyrm loses it and opens fire faster than a post officer going... well, postal.

Essentially, the only Sentinel I'm "allowed" to bring in that scenario is Shade.

The current system just isn't fully fleshed out, and full of redundant mod cards.  Here's my solution: make Attack Precepts universal, and allow them to effect the usage of non-utility Ability Precepts (e.g. Crowd Dispersion).  This would allow players to thoroughly control their Sentinel's functionality regardless of which Sentinel they choose to use by giving them a choice we don't have right now.

It could potentially work something like this (feat. crappy placeholder names):

Offensive - Sentinel will attack the first target in range, and will freely use Offensive Abilities.

Defensive - Sentinel will only fire on targets which have fired on the player, and will refrain from using Offensive abilities unless the player is attacked.

Protective - Sentinel will attack the closest target in range, switching targets if necessary.

Looter - Sentinel will use its weapon to break loot containers. (Rare, can be equipped alongside any of the above)

etc., etc.

Ability Precepts like Ghost and Vacuum should stay exclusive to their home Sentinels, but I wouldn't mind seeing more variety - and universally-available ones like Sanctuary and Coolant Leak are nice to see too.

Let me know what you think about this all, guys.  Would you like to actually be able to control your Sentinel, or would you rather the game choose for you?

I would prefer more that their other unique abilities would be usable on all sentinels. It would essentially mean the same, you can use any ability with any shooting precept. Just that instead of choosing the sentinel model based on the ability you'd choose the sentinel model based on the shooting precept.

I'd rather sentinels being able to attack wasn't determined by a mod that ends up dropping ridiculously frequently, and would rather be able to issue them commands like 'hold fire' and 'shoot everything that moves and then some' without having to muck around with mods between missions

Yup, wanted to behaviours for a while, and has been posted on a similar thread.

- Prioritise biggest threat (heavies, etc), this would allow you to focus on trash, maybe in melee.

- Prioritise smallest threat, this would allow you to mod your weapon specifically for heavies, leaving the sentinel modded for trash.

- Revenge as you say

- Maximum range (sent only attacks at medium to full range, leaving you to melee)

- Minimum range (minimum to medium range, leaving you to snipe)

- Crowd control (higher status at the expense of damage)

Etc, etc.

Yup, wanted to behaviours for a while, and has been posted on a similar thread.

- Prioritise biggest threat (heavies, etc), this would allow you to focus on trash, maybe in melee.

- Prioritise smallest threat, this would allow you to mod your weapon specifically for heavies, leaving the sentinel modded for trash.

- Revenge as you say

- Maximum range (sent only attacks at medium to full range, leaving you to melee)

- Minimum range (minimum to medium range, leaving you to snipe)

- Crowd control (higher status at the expense of damage)

Etc, etc.

Wow, I didn't even consider the potential for Attack Precepts to synergize with player loadouts!

See why the current system sucks so bad?