Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Iron Skin Update? About Damn Time

Jamescell

Rhino is not a tank. Why?

He does not draw aggro. He just has the highest innate defensive prowess, and superior stats across the board for that matter.

Speed redution on IS is fine. Why?

it would prevent players from spamming iron skin, and use it in times of defense or dire need.

Vanguard should be nerfed or removed. Why?

The only reason Loki has a fast sprint speed is because when he rushes into a crowd and presses 4 repeatedly, noone dies instantly. There's balance in there, in which Rhino has a complete lack of.

The point isn't "Rhino is supposed to be the slowest".

It's "Rhino isn't supposed to be the second fastest".

"RHINO IS USELESS ON HIGHER LEVELS!" Then this

Stat Wise: Add a damage reduction to Iron Skin that negates a certain % of all incoming damage (10/15/20/25%)

solution is a buff, not a nerf. Why are you complaining about it? Still want to faceroll lowlevels?

Read the thread next time.

Vanguard should be nerfed or removed. Why?

Because it prevents Rhino from getting anything done with his default speed.

Rhino is too slow, buff speed. Now Vanguard Rhino is faster than Loki.

Vanguard Rhino too fast, nerf speed. Now regular Rhino is slow as balls.

Rhino is in this really weird state where he is either too fast or too slow to be balanced.

Edited by VentiGlondi

What's the point of having damage reduce for iron skin? It would be the same as increasing the iron skin hp by x% (the damage reduce %)...(Well, dividing the hp by (1-dr%).

Edited by Naftal

Ok, about the whole "Speed" thing... I don't care about you wanting to be heavy and fast at the same time. I seriously just ignore the argument that 'I need speed" and "this game is about speed"... (It's simple, if the way is about Speed, then Speed can also be traded off. Not all cars in racing game are "The Faster Car".)

Now about the Damage Reduction, let's make some calc for the benefit of it... The argument is that "Damage Reduction" is not "More HP" and there is only one real difference between the 2... Feeling.

You get 10k more health when you're only on 2k? You feel spongy. Like, it takes a real lot to get trough your defense and into your HP Core, sure, but they're still dealing a lot of damage really fast... You get 1k more health when you're on the same 2k, but it takes the same damage as the 10k health? You'll feel like those 1k health is made of frigging steel, like instead of the enemy going trough melted butter, it's going slowly trough solid titanium plates. Yes, it's exactly the same math, but it FEELS different. That's what it matters in a game, how you make a skill feel.

There is also the argument of the last hit of Iron Skin defending your health... Like if you're on 10 health left of Iron Skin and take a 5k hit, if the whole 5k is reduced to, say, 500, then you only took 490 dmg. If there is no such reduction you'll take 4990 dmg, so the damage reduction will guarantee at least ONE bigass hit that will not kill you (Mostly irrelevant since even most Sniper use Multi-shot, but hey, it's SOMETHING.) There's also the argument of proportionate stat. A Bleed from 5k is a lot harsher then a bleed from 500.

Edited by ReiganCross

• 2 months later...

While I wholeheartedly agree with your functionality ideas OP, I think the aesthetic part could be left to just an energy-colored aura, a la Warcry. Adding chunks or layers of crap just depreciates the value of customizing Rhino's appearance.

Other possible solutions, in terms of function:

-Make it run on a timer. This not only prevents a single cast from lasting entire missions, but gives Rhino players a reason to consider power duration instead of slapping on Fleeting Expertise and stomping the yard.

-Prevent damage, or prevent crowd control effects. Not both.

-Speed reduction is a good, and thematically appropriate concept so I'll repeat it.

-A combination of the aforementioned.

Rhino is already slow as hell though.

-Make it run on a timer. This not only prevents a single cast from lasting entire missions, but gives Rhino players a reason to consider power duration instead of slapping on Fleeting Expertise and stomping the yard.

This.  It wont be a strong nerf even, but will stop Iron Skin being a quasi-immunity  switch-and-forget at lower levels breeding horrible lazy players (hence all the 'Rhino noobs' fame)

Also I'd make it real damage resistace,  with a hard cap( ~70% ) making it scale much better with other mods, shields/hp included. So it would be less of a imba crutch for low level players and better protection for vets that have maxed mods. Also you would see taking damage on your shields  (now you cant know how much damage Iron Skin sustained)

(yeah I'd make it into overheat with a limit)

Edited by Monolake

I don't agree with slow, yes it would make rhino prime with arcane vanguard not so silly, but what if I use regular rhino with thrak, that would put you at about 0.5 sprint speed at which point you might as well remove sprint.   

Damage reduction could be usefull, but it would make him even more "OP", people already whine enough.   

I do 100% agree with visual indicator for iron skin, it's kind of dumb to not know how much shield you have