Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, Arc Traps ...why?

AdunSaveMe

Cos that'd be a challenge too, hey lol

What skills do they put to the test, might I ask?

Is it your skill to get annoyed? Your skill to move slightly to the left while fighting? Your skill to ignore it while you continue shooting everything else before you turn around and blow it up with a single bullet? Your skill to jump flip past it just like everything else in the mission? Your skill to wonder why this annoying trap continues to exist but continues to fail to pose a threat or a challenge?

I dunno mang

THIS.

Nah, the broken lights had the exact same issues and then some. Including the fact that they'd fire clean through walls and they had the tendency to make guys spawn into the mission dead by killing them before the intro cutscene could even be skipped:

Likewise, even the sensor bar on the Magnetic doors suffer from these kinds of issues where it spawns inside another object and can very well be indestructible:

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/450673989232825422/60B0722078883705EB0C4350F5678A9B0B63D8F7/

When it comes to the broken lights/arc traps, some guy apparently just married themselves to the idea and thought it was oh-so-great and that it just needed tweaks before we'd love it too. Hell, note that they tried to basically bribe us into liking the stupid things by having them drop resources, something no other trap does. They've always been a case of can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

infinite rage on that sensor bar in wall...

So from what I've read here, there's a bunch of people that are colorblind for orange and white, can't strafe, and have a very bad case of hyperactivity, as they can't slow down, shoot the thing that just shot arcs at them and move on.

How they manage to resist natural selection is beyond me.

Edited by DeadlyNerd

Careful what you ask for...next thing we know Arc Traps will be able to one shot you lol

they already can in survival. i burned through all my revives for one of my frames because i missed a LS capsule. (the last revive being in the f****** extract room)

The lights were meant the stop rushing, the arc traps are another totally different version of the trap that had nothing to do with stopping rushing since, like you said, the best way to deal with them is to run pass them.

If these were actually built stop rushing the shock should slow people down a bit or something. These things were never designed to stop people.

You're the reason we need downvote functionality back.

If you had your way:

We'd have Arc Traps that stunned on impact, and with the amount of traps spawned in each room; you'd most likely get chain stunned.

While we're at it, you'd also make it so that getting hit by an Arc Trap also triggers the alarm, which means you're not only getting chain stunned, but also getting shot at within 10 seconds of encountering the first zap.

And since you loved the implementation of the broken lights so much: Arc Traps would also mess with your field of vision, because, you-know; electricity causes malfunctions, right?

Hell, everyone would be dead half the time just at the intro cut-scene in every grineer mission they joined. 

Honestly, I've read a lot of your posts in several threads, and 90% of the time, I wonder just what goes through that head of yours when you make those comments, because it's really not helping in any way; rather, you want the problem to stay, even if most people who visit the forums clearly find a disdain for that key function/feature, and it's EVIDENCED that it's a problem that needs looking into, however, you seem to not consider any of it.  You just randomly quote someone, then state basically the same statements each time, summarized as follows: "Quit whining, this is a great feature that's helping the game and the people playing!".

Edited by AcewingX

So from what I've read here, there's a bunch of people that are colorblind for orange and white, can't strafe, and have a very bad case of hyperactivity, as they can't slow down, shoot the thing that just shot arcs at them and move on.

How they manage to resist natural selection is beyond me.

You seem to be missing the point, sir.

I'm quite on point here. Situation awareness, look it up.

No, you're missing the point. It's not about being able to take them out. it's about them being annoying, very common nuisances with no real point, no real challenge and a minimal threat, just ANNOYANCE. They've been around for so long and they've remained the same.

They can't be hit by AOE, and they often spawn in places you can't easily shoot them, like between and behind pipes.

No, you're missing the point. It's not about being able to take them out. it's about them being annoying, very common nuisances with no real point, no real challenge and a minimal threat, just ANNOYANCE. They've been around for so long and they've remained the same.

They can't be hit by AOE, and they often spawn in places you can't easily shoot them, like between and behind pipes.

Never mind him, he is one of those guys who is convinced the arc traps have a function and are a good design based on one sole idea: 

"If ppl complain in the forums, then its doing its work"

Wish is the most twisted non logical chain of though around.

If DE wants to combat rushing (you know the thing there is nothing wrong with doing?) then they need to offer something rewarding for doing so. As it stands there is no reason to open lockers or open containers as they offer very little.

WELL DUH. Situation awareness again. Just look it up will you?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=situation+awareness

Oh what now, let's just make enemies disintegrate in your presence, and water turn into w(h)ine.

This display of childish arguments, and quite frankly behavior, is indeed amusing, but ain't getting you nowhere.

Oh what now, let's just make enemies disintegrate in your presence, and water turn into w(h)ine.

This display of childish arguments, and quite frankly behavior, is indeed amusing, but ain't getting you nowhere.

Well, it is weird that AoE weapons cannot deal damage to the Arc Traps. 

After all, almost everything with a health bar can be damaged by an AoE explosion, so why not the Arc Trap?

WELL DUH. Situation awareness again. Just look it up will you?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=situation+awareness

Um, no.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unavoidable

Even if you have situation awareness, you still can be shocked by these things before you even notice them. You wanna know why?

Well, some are hidden behind doors, boxes, lockers, glitched through pipes and more, making it hard to see even if you are taking baby steps. Plus, Arc Traps have quite the range on them making it where even if you have the sight of gods and can tell that there gonna be in that exact position that you know of, they are probably still gonna hit you before you hit them.

Add on-top of that, these things can spawn in groups in rooms, and you know how horrible that is for new players? Well, let me give you a tale of how bad Sargus Ruk boss fight is for new players. One, we have a boss in a clustered room with tons of explosive barrels. Two, said boss can take advantage of that and present large AOE attacks that can take up most of the room. Three, he has weak spots that require you to get up close and personal and even if you try to get him at a distance, you will most likely fail as your bullets can't hit that weak spot. Four, we have arc traps that are spread all across the room that can zap you while you are trying to go for the boss and even if you try to get all of them, others are just near the boss and require you to trigger him, before you can even get to him. And finally, Five, you have constant enemies coming at you. The boss wasn't already hard enough for new players, but now you got Arc traps that can constantly zap you while trying to attempt to deal with this boss, it has now become a nightmare. Only way to win is to grab a person off the recruitment chat and have them help you, making the new player experience leave a bad taste in your mouth off the bat.

"Well, they need to be more careful and be on constant watch for Arc Traps." Um, news flash, we have other things to worry about then just arc traps, so your telling me you want us to bring our focus on to Arc Traps and bring little attention to the Grineer? That would be fine and dandy but the grineer have napalms, seekers, bombards, eximus units, and more that can wreck you if you are not paying attention , bringing arc traps on the lowest radar. 

Sometimes I wonder what pace DE wants you to be going. Sometimes they say, "Oh this feature is to slow for our fast style of gameplay," but then out of nowhere they will say that, "Oh, this is a bit too fast for the game." Then what speed do you want us to be going at, I mean you seem to encourage going at mph speeds with Volt's Speed ability that with Rush can have him and others going at the speed of a bullet. If you wanna hinder us going at quick speeds, then please take more ideas that were like the Riot Moa, that could, if done right, present a path blocking challenge and hopefully not be annoying. Also, put into consideration you have given mods and abilities that can send the player flying across the map when you think about these ideas and PLAY WITH THEM! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! PLAY WITH THEM BEFORE YOU SEND THEM OUT INTO THE WORLD OR AT LEAST SHOW US SO WE CAN SEE IF IT WILL BE A GOOD ADDITION! 

Edited by Pbrandon1

Seriously? Wanting them to be hit by AOE like almost everything in the game gets that kind of response?

Good luck putting situation awareness into practice when a cluster of arc traps is spawned inside objects.

Quit while you're behind, son

Edited by AdunSaveMe

The broken lights where the most stupid and Ill thought out game mechanic ever in this history of game design.

The arc traps are the second most stupid and ill thought out game mechanic ever in the history of game design.

Edited by atpbx1

Well, it is weird that AoE weapons cannot deal damage to the Arc Traps. 

After all, almost everything with a health bar can be damaged by an AoE explosion, so why not the Arc Trap?

And the very purpose of them being in all the odd places is automatically negated. I really don't understand kids nowadays. 

Kids: "Waaah waaah, I want more challenging gameplay." 

DE:"Here's a trap that is supposed to raise your situation awareness.". 

Kids again: "Waaaah waaaah, it's too OP, I'm being killed by something I can't see straight away."

Should they put a large glowing red arrow so you can drink elixirs and cast buffs before you engage the dreaded trap?

It's not unavoidable, end of story. You can stop, point and shoot. If that's too hard for you, there's always farmville.

Seriously? Wanting them to be hit by AOE like almost everything in the game gets that kind of response?

Good luck putting situation awareness into practice when a cluster of arc traps is spawned inside objects.

Quit while you're behind, son

I'm actually so way ahead I have several whiners trying to prove the same nonexistent counter argument. The fact that you're upvoting each others replies just makes it sweeter.

As for your "argument". So? It's a game. The ruleset is supposed to be tweaked for balance. The "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! MOOOOOOOMMY!!!!!" is getting old now, please stop.

Edited by DeadlyNerd

Thats what happens when people ask for challenge all the time ...

So are the arc traps fun ? NO THEY ARE ANNOYING

Do they stop people from rushing ? NO I GO EVEN FASTER TO AVOID THEM

Why does DE keep trying to slow us down ?

DE this game is fun because of its fast and agile movement, you should encourage rushing instead of those annoying traps.

Keep on asking for challenge and this game will go down the sh*tter real fast.

Do they stop people from rushing ? NO I GO EVEN FASTER TO AVOID THEM

DE this game is fun because of its fast and agile movement, you should encourage rushing instead of those annoying traps.

So they're doing exactly what you wanted.

So they're doing exactly what you wanted.

haha thats funny but it is not the intended effect.

I'm thinking of sprint pads and corkscrew sections where you go insanely fast through tube like passages now that would be fun.

DE is trying to make me walk everywhere and that is no fun at all and not why I play the game in the first place, I mean they have to know that the most fun aspect of the game is the fast pace crazyness no ?

Edited by Tr1ples1xer

You're the reason we need downvote functionality back.

Because posting how you disagree with me isnt enough?

If you had your way:

We'd have Arc Traps that stunned on impact, and with the amount of traps spawned in each room; you'd most likely get chain stunned.

If they procced impact one per standard tile would be enough. The bigger the tile the more room to spread them out.

While we're at it, you'd also make it so that getting hit by an Arc Trap also triggers the alarm, which means you're not only getting chain stunned, but also getting shot at within 10 seconds of encountering the first zap.

This would be a cool idea for stealth missions. They are turned into a the Grineer version of the cameras.

And since you loved the implementation of the broken lights so much: Arc Traps would also mess with your field of vision, because, you-know; electricity causes malfunctions, right?

There's no need to mess with vision if you are stunned.

Hell, everyone would be dead half the time just at the intro cut-scene in every grineer mission they joined.

Bad spawning is bad spawning, no one is going to disagree with that.

Honestly, I've read a lot of your posts in several threads, and 90% of the time, I wonder just what goes through that head of yours when you make those comments, because it's really not helping in any way; rather, you want the problem to stay, even if most people who visit the forums clearly find a disdain for that key function/feature, and it's EVIDENCED that it's a problem that needs looking into, however, you seem to not consider any of it. 

I am thinking of balance unlike most of the people here that complain.

If you read the board people ask for something that will result on a change that they will also hate and complain. This is standard on this board, they ask for a "problem" to be solved and when it is it just creates another "problem" that they now slam DE for it even though they are the ones that asked for it.

The Osprey is a clear example of this. People complain that the Infested are boring, so DE moves them off the map, then people flip out that they were moved so they are brought back, now they are mad that they are on derelict missions and not in the main map. So the brought invasion missions but now people get angry that they need to do them 5 times to get the reward... werent you just complaining that you couldn't play on the main map and now you are complaining that you have to play them on the main map?

So let's fast forward to the Osprey cause this is how far back this example can go. They are boring because all they do is charge and they are dealt with in one exact way. Ok so they add a unit that makes you move.... and people flip out because this unit cant be beat with their shield builds and the standard boring tactic. Use vitality, rejuv, and antitoxin... NO! BTW, get rid of useless mods that are useless and i was never equip because there is no reason to.

This happens constantly here.

I am thinking that everything should have a purpose even if i dont like it. Because this isn't my game this is DE's game so they dont have to do EVERY single thing i suggest. We are playing by their rulers of the game.

You just randomly quote someone, then state basically the same statements each time, summarized as follows: "Quit whining, this is a great feature that's helping the game and the people playing!".

This is false, i always explain my points.

If this what it looks like to you, you have some problem on how you are reading the post.

haha thats funny but it is not the intended effect.

I'm thinking of sprint pads and corkscrew sections where you go insanely fast through tube like passages now that would be fun.

DE is trying to make me walk everywhere and that is no fun at all and not why I play the game in the first place, I mean they have to know that the most fun aspect of the game is the fast pace crazyness no ?

I get you, but arc traps need to stay regardless. They're the newb filter. They may be a very cruel and crude newb filter, but they're doing their job.

I always feel a bit dumb when I die from the arc trap, because I know I could'v prevented that by just paying more attention.

If this gets through, the next thing they're going to complain are lasers in void, how they instakill without giving you a warning. The level of stupidity on these arguments is pretty damn high.

Edited by DeadlyNerd