Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would This Be Too Pay2Win? (Event Zone Rentals)

Llyssa

Something curious I just saw on another game: Zone rentals.

There's zones(from previous events) that the game offers access to, for about $20 worth of their purchased currency.

You get access to X locations with X quests(stated in the zone description), for 28 days.

This gives you access to the associated event items as if you'd been at the event itself, with the same rules and restrictions and so forth required of those who actually participated in the event.

On the one hand, that seems like a really cool way to reuse the events.

On the other hand, event items tend to be slightly OP, so you're technically p2w in a sense by buying access.

However, you're also not p2w because if you had been playing at the time of the event, you'd already have had your chance with the zone.

For comparison, imagine if, say, the informer event was available for WF to rent. You'd pay like 300 plat, and then, you'd get a limited-time chance(say, 3 days, like the original) to visit areas with informers spawning in them, and a limited-time chance to kill a bunch of informers, and if you killed one before your time was up, you'd get a snipetron BP, if you killed more than 20 before your time was up, you'd get a snipetron vandal, and if you killed more than 2007 before your time was up, you'd get a primed chamber mod. All the same rules as the original event.

So, would that be p2w? People around for the informer event already had a chance to do this for free, so it holds little value to them(they could pound for a PC, but other than that, they likely have all of this). People who missed it would have a chance to experience the event in all of its glory, and have a chance for all the cool rewards they missed out on.

This would allow DE to re-use a lot of the "burn off" content of previous events, let them make some money in the process, and let people have access to the event-special stuff they may have missed. It would make things generally fair(unlike the "OMG Brakk" issue we had), but it would also be giving otherwise-unobtainable power gear out.

So the caveat is whether or not it's really fair, since people could already have that without paying.

I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how anyone else would take it. Thoughts?

its pay4Convenience. You decide whether your time is more important or your money. I dont have all the hours and days to spend on this game so I would rather pay to expediete my experience with the game as opposed to spending hundreds and thousands of hours just grinding. In other games like MMO's like TERA. if warframes system existed in that the game would be extremely broken. PW games are a good example of a broken pay2win system.

Edited by ThatWhichWasTaken

I was under the impression that when the ships are added so are the "events" and "quests". As you do them through the player ship system you fill your codex with information and can gain the exclusive weapons.

I know you know this is not a good idea.To answer you yes this is too p2w. In addition trophies have already been given out for those events. Leaderboards..etc...Also DE Steve mentioned that he would like these events to start quests. I like that idea better. 

Considering that players can earn platinum without spending any of their own money (via trading), this idea wouldn't really be pay to win (since technically anyone could do it assuming they sell enough stuff to earn enough platinum). Sure, you could pay money for the platinum to 'rent' the zones with, but you could also trade BPs and mods to make the plat from other players.

I am however on the fence about re-releasing event weapons though.

I think that idea falls into the "Pay to convenience" category rather than the "Pay to win" one personally.  Basically it's like paying for a time machine in a sense, to get to check out and do things of bygone days rather than giving a paying player an unnecessary and unfair advantage.

It is an interesting concept for sure, but it's one that unsurprisingly will garner a lot of negative attention.

I'm in the crowd which hates gameplay additions (weapons/mods in Warfarme's case) being timed exclusives though, so because of that bias I wouldn't have any complaint in this.  To my knowledge, it's not like DE has ever said any of the existing event weaponry or mods were ever exclusive to begin with.  So with that in mind, there's nothing directly stopping them from making this a thing.

At the end of the day though, I prefer the thought of most of the things just being added to normal gameplay at a later time rather than going this route.  Like what they've done with the Brakk and the Cicero mod set already.

Im all in for this idea, you dont need to pay, if you make the plat in trade chat, and yeah, youre gonna die evntually in the endless modes, so its not a P2W, we dont need to touch the lederboards, that could be the really exclusive thing for the time an event is released

It sounds really... do-able without problems with the comunity... i guess.

I mean, I dont care if someone can get the event rewards again, its not like they are gonna take my stuff, and they are even using plat for a chance to get the stuff if they didnt were here for the event time.

Interesting spectrum of responses. I think the "not p2w" side makes the most sense.

As far as leader boards, I imagine there would be reason to have 2... the original, and the rental. It's much easier to high score now with so many more options and buffs. I would think statues would have a brass version--still something for clans to strive for, but obviously easier to get.

Okay, here's the thing with this.

Pay to win? Maybe, probably not though. Depends how much it costs. The important part is that it would de-value players who have been here forever. They're sure to release new exclusive weapons, and when you've been playing for a year or two you can look at noobs and be like "Check my shiny anal probe Prova Vandal!/Kraken Wraith!" (Okay so most grineer weapons are S#&$, I've come up blank. Maybe Jat Kittag Wraith?)

When asked about re-releasing event weapons, they said "Well . . . Maybe"
They have yet to do it.

If the do it, it won't be a "OKAY EVERYONE CAN HAVE IT NOW JUST GIVE US SOME PLAT. WHENEVER YOU'D LIKE NO NEED TO RUSH"

It will be "Hey we're doing a new event and X faction is giving us X thing again because (lore reasons, Grineer found a missing shipment in ruk's butt, he's been able to speak properly ever since it's been removed. Also he's stopped talking filling his lungs with random people's death) but first you have to go (Laborious task, probably involves lots of lubricant, tongs, and Ruk's anal sphincter) But he'll only let you near his posterior for 72 hours, and then he crushes the shipment with his wild butt strength and you lose your Strun Wraith forever.

Next event DE. This one's on me. Contact me if you need any further event ideas. You have my paypal.

Edit: 99.999% sure you won't get Snipetron again. Not because they don't like you, but because it doesn't make any sense. Corpus weapon that fires lead rounds. Doesn't make any sense. They phased it out for a good reason. Not that I don't <3 you snipetron babu, it's just you don't make any sense. *Strokes snipetron* *Whispers* Oh snipetron. You so stupid. And so pretty.
Edit Edit: God damn it now I want to go forma my snipetron again. I <3 u babe. Even if you did get nerfed into the S#&amp;&#036;ter.

Edited by Coatduck

no not realy pay to win at all since all materials all prints except a few can be farmed or gained thru alerts.So no game is not pay to win..maybe pay to enhance u know..like slots but meh no biggie. platinum is cheap and easy..u can trade sell.

Reading some of these responses, I was apparently unclear, but I'm not sure how.

Let me try to simplify it: For X plat, you'd get <original time allowed> to do <original missions> and get <original reward> if you accomplished <original goal>.

No more, no less.

Reading some of these responses, I was apparently unclear, but I'm not sure how.

Let me try to simplify it: For X plat, you'd get <original time allowed> to do <original missions> and get <original reward> if you accomplished <original goal>.

No more, no less.

Plat and not straight up cash like Prime Access? Oh OK. Then I guess I wouldn't really mind at all.

The only problem I see with it is that a lot of the events have been group based, and it might be tricky to find a party of people who bought the event during the exact same period you have.

I don't think it's pay2win, since the only thing you're paying for is things that people have already obtained for free.

Considering that players can earn platinum without spending any of their own money (via trading), this idea wouldn't really be pay to win (since technically anyone could do it assuming they sell enough stuff to earn enough platinum). Sure, you could pay money for the platinum to 'rent' the zones with, but you could also trade BPs and mods to make the plat from other players.

I am however on the fence about re-releasing event weapons though.

There is a bit of a problem though, and that's the amount you can earn from trading.

For some people, RNG is just a real sunny beach and a half, and they can almost never get anything that anyone wants to buy.

Well... No. It's not p2w. Not really, with plat being obtainable through the trade system.

But I can't really see this happenning without a lot of people complaining, and it'd be at least a little justified in my opinion. I'm not talking about those of us that were around for the events and got the awards the first time around. I'm talking about the people who now can get the awards... but have to pay premium currency to play content that older players got to play for free.

I understand the point is to give newer players the chance to play the events and get the gear, but I also see how they'd think it's unfair. Not p2w, mind, but still unfair because of the pay-locked content, even if they don't have to shell out some real-world currency for it.

if i should/can pay more then its offered now i delete warframe immediately off my computer :-)

around 125 bucks every 3 to 4 month is more then enough, its also a bit expensive, too many repetitive missions for around 500 bucks a year

friendly suggestively saying ...

and no, i dont care about the gamingindustry, im on individual quantity and quality, not on: how many games did you play in a year

im mainly on 2 games, warframe and THE CREW when it comes out in november, i dont like to frag my mind&lifetime with hilarous "game-jumping" :-)