Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If We New Players Were Allowed To Choose Whatever Non Prime Warframe They Want As Their Starter?

Lukap99

No seriously, think about it.

I think that we'd have a lot more diversity of warframes in the starter levels.

The new players would be overwhelmed with the amount of choices they have at first, I think. But I also think that it would entice them to do some research on which warframe they want to start with.

So, what do you think guys? Yay or Nay?

Edited by Lukap99

No seriously, think about it.

I think that we'd have a lot more diversity of warframes in the starter levels.

The new players would be overwhelmed with the amount of choices they have at first, I think. But I also think that it would entice them to do some research on which warframe they want to start with.

So, what do you think guys? Yay or Nay?

Well, for one thing... lots of new players with Rhino/Vauban/Any frame that either clears the room and/or has invincibility?

The current starter frame mechanism (pick one from three starter Warframes) is alright, but I would prefer if they change Loki to Oberon. 

That way, we would have: 

Well-rounded frame (Excalibur)

Slight anti-Corpus glass cannon (Mag)

Slight tank healer/area denial (Oberon)

Yeah, start with Zephyr and avoir the 600 oxium needed.
Maybe could the started frames be the ones that are equially easy to obtain, such as the actual one + rhino (even if I puke just thinking about it) + ember + ash + saryn + nyx + trin + frost

By "Diversity on starter levels" you mean every single person will pick rhino? Yeah, gl.

I think you'd end up where every single player who did any research would start with Vauban.

Well, for one thing... lots of new players with Rhino/Vauban/Any frame that either clears the room and/or has invincibility?

The current starter frame mechanism (pick one from three starter Warframes) is alright, but I would prefer if they change Loki to Oberon. 

That way, we would have: 

Well-rounded frame (Excalibur)

Slight anti-Corpus glass cannon (Mag)

Slight tank healer/area denial (Oberon)

Yeah, start with Zephyr and avoir the 600 oxium needed.

Maybe could the started frames be the ones that are equially easy to obtain, such as the actual one + rhino (even if I puke just thinking about it) + ember + ash + saryn + nyx + trin + frost

You guys make a point... So how about we only allow the "easy to obtain" warframes as starter?

Or maybe just every warframe that fits into a certain archetype.

Excalibur - Well Rounded

Frost - Tank

Ember - Glass Canon

Banshee - Utility

Or maybe some other combination.

Its fine the way it is. DE says excalibur is a starter frame but he is way beyond a beginner frame. Mag is fine and Loki (well i don't even have to say anything about him because every veteran player knows how good he his). So, if a new player does some research, he/she should be happy to pick any one of these three frames.

Edited by (PS4)jenax002

Hath we forgotten that Rhino is XP-Locked to MR2 and above?

I think the options are fine as is.  You can choose a beginner-friendly Rambo Frame with a low skill ceiling, a more advanced stealth Frame with a high skill ceiling, or a mid-difficulty support-geared Frame.  Basically all the bases are covered.

I disagree, OP.

Radial Blind is obviously Excalibro's best high level ability, but the under-appreciated Slash Dash is also good for damage at low levels and for blasting through an enemy filled doorway in a pinch. It remains a good mobility skill even when it stops being a good damage skill.

Mag is the caster type of the starter frames and, aside from pull being broken for clients, allows players to get used to strong powers and having to watch their shields to survive.

Loki is the best stealth frame in the game and none of his powers are hindered by level scaling, nor should they be. Low shields, low health, high mobility. Faster race is master race.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. so I think letting players jump straight to Frost, Rhino, and Ash (which IS what they would do) would only result in a worse experience for them and for other players.

Edited by (PS4)ElZilcho

Keeping the starting pool small is important. You do not want to overwhelm players with a complex choice at the start.

Also some players may find themselves taking a frame that is not very new user friendly like vauban or one which would do badly on mercurys tight ship based levels like zephyr.

I would be in favor of removing Loki and substituting another 'frame.  Loki is just too hard for new players to use.  I would offer one of the earlier frames. Maybe Saryn or Frost cause they're tanky.  Also, I'm in favor of offering players a weapons choice as well.  Maybe the braton, the strun, the paris, and the latron.

Edited by azmyth1

I would be in favor of removing Loki and substituting another 'frame.  Loki is just too hard for new players to use.  I would offer one of the earlier frames. Maybe Saryn or Frost cause they're tanky.  Also, I'm in favor of offering players a weapons choice as well.  Maybe the braton, the strun, the paris, and the latron.

+1 on the weapon choice. I would have loved to start with the Latron or the Strun. I've always loved marksman rifles and shotguns more than assault rifles.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually hoping the whole starter frame thing gets a pretty significant overhaul.

What I'd hope is for a tutorial section where you're simply assigned excalibur, as is now, then do a mission or two with him.  Then one mission as Mag and one as Loki, ideally with a variety of weapons assigned to them.  Then a final sequence of 1-3 missions where you're assigned a higher level, pre-modded frame, perhaps taking part in the rescue from "The Call" trailer with a powered up Frost, Nyx or Ash.

And then you choose from the starter frames and weapons and the actual game begins.

That way you get a reasonable idea of what each of the starter frames is about, a chance to test out a variety of available weapons, and you get an idea what later stage gameplay is like. 

That way, at least you can make an informed decision.

I'd think it's a fine idea as long as you keep the more unique or more rare frames out of the list. 
Frames that could be starters
Excalibur
Loki
Mag
Ash
Ember
Nova
Frost
Saryn

Frames definitely kept out:
Valkyr - The most difficult/almost impossible to use without correct mods and lots of experience
Zephyr - Unique/Expensive cost
Rhino - Mastery locked frame, first farmable frame any ways
Hydroid/Nekros/Nyx/Vauban/Oberon - Unique methods of acquirement, key locked/rng locked/Enemy unit locked

Potential Frames to be kept in/out as they have some aspects that would side with being kept out, but aren't strong enough to say for sure.
Volt - SemiUnique clan based acquirement
Trinity - unique set of skills compared to other starter frames
Banshee - SemiUnique clan based acquirement

trinity not oberon

I do not want a almost pure healer as a starter, but rather a slight tank (higher health) with healing and area denial. Basically, a tank versatile (Oberon) with an offensive versatile (Excalibur) and glass cannon (Mag) would cover most of the bases. 

or we could make starters be
excalibur - your grand father's warframe
volt - was a starter before mag
banshee - to increase players playing her (this is coming from u7, so maybe there are more banshees tday)

this could make solo players stay solo

Edited by blackstraykitten

I do not want a almost pure healer as a starter, but rather a slight tank (higher health) with healing and area denial. Basically, a tank versatile (Oberon) with an offensive versatile (Excalibur) and glass cannon (Mag) would cover most of the bases. 

oberon has a special way of acquisition

also oberon is a nuker/healer/undieyingsonofa*@##$ he will conquer the low lvl mission like how nova did before

oberon has a special way of acquisition

also oberon is a nuker/healer/undieyingsonofa*@##$ he will conquer the low lvl mission like how nova did before

That's if you play it somewhat well. 

And the Eximus drop the components like rain. 

Edited by Renegade343