DE_Adam

Devstream 31 Overview Part 2, Kubrow

If you tuned in to Devstream 31 then you’ll know all about some of the exciting changes we have planned for Update 14. Our last peek into the future showed big changes to the UI, an overhaul to our new player experience, and of course the fancy and upgradeable player ship.  But there’s been one addition to the game that’s had the community (particularly animal lovers) pretty excited; and just in case you’ve missed all the exciting design talk, clips of in-development animations, and other neat features...well don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.

gIzw2a.gif

Kubrow, while an exciting addition to player pets, will require far more attention than simply creating one and assigning it as your companion to replace the sentinel.  At this time players will be required to obtain a Kubrow egg, take it back to your ship, and then incubate the egg until it finally hatches.  Once it hatches players will have spawned the Kubrow puppy, who lives within the ship until finally large enough to start properly bonding with the player.

Though we have yet to confirm at what point you’re permitted to name your Kubrow, we can confirm that naming the pooch is entirely possible; an extension of our named loadouts.

6wSUpY.gif

60E9B3.gif

Bonding with the Kubrow is a fairly straightforward affair that requires players to really just pay attention to it.  It’s an investment, but an understandable one when you consider how much more versatile a Kubrow is when compared to a sentinel.  Part of that is rooted in its normal attacks, and a much deeper part of the reason a much larger investment into the Kubrow is required is due to how complex they can eventually become.

All Kubrow will have access to a generic combat set that will provide them with a series of normal attacks.  A vicious bite and pin attack is a good example of something all Kubrow should be capable of, but more specific actions that will suite a more particular playstyle will need to be bred into the Kubrow through genetic modification.  Each trait present within the Kubrow will be responsible for different actions, and using the genetic foundry on your ship players will be able to isolate specific genetic factors for use in breeding a Kubrow that better suits your playstyle.

DGVUQz.gif

The hunter trait, for example, will be best used in game types like Capture.  Able to run ahead, sniff out and pin down the VIP players can instead focusing on clearing the room of hostiles as opposed to needing to keep an eye on how far the VIP has managed to get away from them.  It’s a little behavior that may not be game altering, but more in line to the stealth functionality offered by the Shade sentinel.  Useful, but perhaps not in every occasion.

WidrtV.gif

The digger does what many dogs (or dog-like creatures) do best, sniffing out and digging up extra treasure it finds.  Mods, health and energy orbs are all fair guesses as to what it can turn up but if it’s anything like my dog it’ll probably just find a weird bug I don’t want to touch.

Kubrow have access to a stealthy state, as well as several other options as well.  Being able to play with the personality and combat preferences of your Kubrow are all linked to their dominant and recessive gene types, and to that effect players will be able to distill their Kubrow to a particular genetic imprint that they can trade with others in order to get a behavior they desire most.  Getting an imprint only requires a simple scan.

dAverqo.gif

All of these customization options come at a price of course, and in this case players will have to be aware of their Kubrow’s health, affection, and bloodline purity.  While it’s easy to compare a Kubrow to a Sentinel directly it’s important to stress that the two are very difficult to compare.  With Sentinels you are able to complete a single function without having to worry about micromanagement, at the cost of having a more versatile companion.  With the Kubrows you require a direct time investment, yet reap benefits that are far greater than what a Sentinel should be able to accomplish on its own. 

One final point on Kubrow development is that bringing a Kubrow on every single mission isn’t recommended, due to how its happiness is tied into how often it is brought into combat.  While it certainly has more versatility than a Sentinel does we cannot stress enough that this comes at a cost; and saving ‘mission time’ with your Kubrow for only high level operations rather than general farming will likely be the norm.

Exactly how great a time investment, how far the Kubrow’s abilities range, and how quickly negligence will affect your relationship with the pet are all being worked out at this time. 

o_NRY9.gif

Body types, fur patterns and color will all have an extent of customization; and it’s our hope that between size, shape, behavior, and traits the Kubrow will present enough variations for every player to appreciate our furry allies as an addition with both personality and purpose.  As always keep in mind that any of these details are subject to change as we work to balance the Kubrow leading up to (and after) it's eventual launch.

Just in case you missed it be sure to check out Part 1 of our Overview of Devstream 31 here, where we talk about the upcoming player ships, big changes for the UI, Valkyr's sweet new attacks and more!

• Upvote 24

fe5e6fc9653200796d9a90c709cf0b41.png

this is appropriate at this time, /baconU14hype

also puppy's >W>

Edited by ropefish98
  • Upvote 19

One final point on Kubrow development is that bringing a Kubrow on every single mission isn’t recommended, due to how its happiness is tied into how often it is brought into combat.  While it certainly has more versatility than a Sentinel does we cannot stress enough that this comes at a cost; and saving ‘mission time’ with your Kubrow for only high level operations rather than general farming will likely be the norm.

Still really don't like the sound of that.

To me, that says that Kubrows will be window dressing for our ships most of the time, at best.

Edited by Katakuna
  • Upvote 23

I sincerely hope this isn't some tamagochi setup, I like the idea of being able to "bond" with your Kubrow but being punished for being away for a while by it being in bad shape/dead isn't a fun mechanic.

We all have lives to live, sometimes we can't get to the game for extended periods of time, if I take a 2 week vacation somewhere do I need to provide my login details for someone else to tend my digital pet? That isn't a fun mechanic, it's annoying.

Also I don't like the idea of sending them out into the wild, since the devstream said they're clones and need maintenance beyond just rest and food to keep their DNA intact, sending them off into nature with no assistance would in essence be a death-sentence, a better mechanic (at least IMO) is to basically regress them to an embryo/single cell and modify their genome at that stage, and let them grow into a cub again, that way it's always the same base Kubrow you're taking along but at times you choose to modify their DNA to adjust their abilities etc.

Would also be nice if you could save DNA patterns for later use, say if you find a combination that gives a nice fur pattern or good abilities etc, being able to save that pattern and perhaps even trade for it would be nice.

Edited by KriLL3
  • Upvote 17

Confirmed for Wednesday :D

Drew just made a post about the ship still being worked on this week. I doubt it will be wednesday.

• Upvote 4

I'm still waiting for information on how we go about getting a different kubrow if the one we have isn't exactly what we want... I'd rather not be forced to neglect it/work it into the ground until it dies.

• Upvote 3

We can only wait and see. From the sound of the description (and I am solely going off of that) it seems to have a lot more utility/versatility. Taking it on every mission without consequences could potentially make Sentinels obsolete, so there has to be some sort of system in place to make sure that doesn't happen. Of course, we don't have much to go on, so my speculation is as good as anyone else's.

• Upvote 3

We really need to be able to have multiple Kubrows. As you said every Kubrow isnt great for every mission and it would make sense to use the one thats best for that mission. Also Having multiple would let you always using one without having to worry about all that happiness stuff.

• Upvote 7

To me, that says that Kubrows will be window dressing for our ships most of the time, at best.

I sincerely hope this isn't some tamagochi setup

I agree to both of these.

Edited by RealmDestroyer
  • Upvote 5

I can't wait till I get my hands on one of these beautiful hounds of war! I hope it's either this week or next week!

I'm still waiting for information on how we go about getting a different kubrow if the one we have isn't exactly what we want... I'd rather not be forced to neglect it/work it into the ground until it dies.

That will be considered as murder and you may be looking at about 3-4 years in a grineer prison. The grineer supreme court has recently decided to come down heavy on the tennos who dare to steal all the kubrow eggs, feed them, genetically mutate them and then leave them to die in an isolated room on the ship.

Edited by (PS4)jenax002
  • Upvote 3

Yay for even more grindwalls and timewalls and a funny looking sentinel that only lasts 5 missions a day. I think I'll just stick with my carrier.

• Upvote 10

Yay for even more grindwalls and timewalls and a funny looking sentinel that only lasts 5 missions a day. I think I'll just stick with my carrier.

Idea is that they're in some ways superior to sentinels, so when you can use it you do, then let it rest.

But yeah carrier kinda renders the other sentinels pointless at least imo, way too convenient to use something else.

Edited by KriLL3
  • Upvote 3

Idea is that they're in some ways superior to sentinels, so when you can use it you do, then let it rest.

But yeah carrier kinda renders the other sentinels pointless at least imo, way too convenient to use something else.

I really wanted to like kubrows, I really did. But from what we've heard so far I don't see any huge advantage in taking them over an apparently more dependable sentinel.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for clearing up the basics on our furry friends. So much still left to be said, so much speculation floating on the forums. I can barely contain my excitement for the next update

1. One final point on Kubrow development is that bringing a Kubrow on every single mission isn’t recommended, due to how its happiness is tied into how often it is brought into combat.  While it certainly has more versatility than a Sentinel does we cannot stress enough that this comes at a cost; and saving ‘mission time’ with your Kubrow for only high level operations rather than general farming will likely be the norm.

2. Exactly how great a time investment, how far the Kubrow’s abilities range, and how quickly negligence will affect your relationship with the pet are all being worked out at this time. 

1. Bad idea. Straight up bad idea. The game is about grinding. Only special missions I can think of would be alerts and if you can't use an asset 100% of the time it's not worth it.

2. It shouldn't affect at all otherwise it becomes an ultimatum "login and play or something happens to your dog". The game should never punish you for not playing and be there at the players leisure.

I get ridiculously attached to in-game pets so if Kubrows can die in anyway whatsoever it's not worth it for me.

Also we have Carrier so there's no need for other sentinels or Kubrows really. Kinda funny how one support creature can render others almost obsolete. Sweepers gonna sweep, vacuums gonna vacuum.

Edited by Ziegrif
  • Upvote 13

That will be considered as murder and you may be looking at about 3-4 years in a grineer prison. The grineer supreme court has recently decided to come down heavy on the tennos who dare to steal all the kubrow eggs, feed them, genetically mutate them and then leave them to die in an isolated room on the ship.

They can't prosecute me if I kill them first.

DE, maybe you should consider allowing us to donate our unwanted Kubrow to the clan/alliance so that they can be used to defend our rails. If we don't have a rail, they get donated and put in stasis while they wait.

If not I might just channel my inner Javik, and toss the furry thing out the airlock.

I really wanted to like kubrows, I really did. But from what we've heard so far I don't see any huge advantage in taking them over an apparently more dependable sentinel.

On a per mission basis they're in theory going to be superior, just because you can't bring them to all missions doesn't change that, just means you need to rotate them with your sentinels.

I guess the point some of us are trying to make is please get rid of or reconsider the whole limited missions thing. It might have sounded great in whose ever head who thought of it, just like im sure diluting rewards in T4 sounded great before you fixed it,  but it doesnt always translate to good and fun gameplay.

Oh yeah I forgot to add this on earlier but: Normally in games where you are forced to(Not encouraged to) care for a pet or AI people tend to not give a damn about them. It can be cat/dogs (See fable) or whatever. If the managing part isnt completely optional its normally not cared for.

Edited by theclinton
  • Upvote 4

On a per mission basis they're in theory going to be superior, just because you can't bring them to all missions doesn't change that, just means you need to rotate them with your sentinels.

The real problem I have is the fact that I apparently have to put a lot of effort into getting a good kubrow, and then I can only use it a couple times. It'd be like grinding for a prime and using it for a couple missions, and then a message coming up saying "your prime thing needs some time to rest, you can use it again in X hours". At least to me, that feels like a little much.

• Upvote 11

I honestly don't like the idea of your kubrow dying when you don't care for him, hey while you were enjoying your vacation, look your pixel friend died. 

(i hope that system is based on everyday you log in game and don't care about him).

Also as @katakuna said and what i think is that if kubrows are like that then besides getting xp and ranking them up (probably) i wouldn't have any other reason to take them on mission. To me if we can't take them on every mission then i think they are useless. (Hail Carrier Then). I think this system is a bad bad idea.

Edited by SazerTarious
  • Upvote 3

The real problem I have is the fact that I apparently have to put a lot of effort into getting a good kubrow, and then I can only use it a couple times. It'd be like grinding for a prime and using it for a couple missions, and then a message coming up saying "your prime thing needs some time to rest, you can use it again in X hours". At least to me, that feels like a little much.

That I'll agree with, would be nice if it's base-line of performance was on par with a sentinel, and got better than a sentinel if rested/well cared for etc.

Edited by KriLL3
  • Upvote 1

That I'll agree with, would be nice if it's base-line of performance was on par with a sentinel, and got better than a sentinel if rested/well cared for etc.

This I can get behind. I'm just wary of what feels like a cooldown timer on an item.