Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player Experience

archchunk

I've been playing this game a long, long time and I've come across a problem with the game that drives other people I know away from it.

The issue I want to discuss is early solo play, and when I say solo I mean any person that wants to start out playing the game right now and doesn't have some friends that will start the game out with them/power level them. The beginning of the game is very unforgiving and seems to rely almost entirely on you obtaining certain "base mods" in order to progress (aka serration/vitality/redirection/etc.) otherwise you are stuck grinding on the first planet in order to gain enough levels to get through the 2nd.

This could be remedied by giving players a copy of simple base mods for killing the first boss, such as vitality/redirection/serration/etc. it could even be given during some sort of "this is how fusion works" tutorial or "this is how to equip a mod" tutorial of some sort. (On a side note I think it'd be a great idea to give starting people a choice between starter weapons, in case someone doesn't like assault rifles or automatic pistols.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game is too hard, I'm saying the difficulty curve of the game needs work at least towards the beginning of it (and honestly the 'endgame' but that's a different topic) I would love more discussion about this as I feel it needs to be worked on and more feedback about it will help.

Well Update 14 is coming soon, and it's placing a lot of importance on a new player experience overhaul. Let's see how that goes and then maybe suggest ways to improve it if we see problems.

I'm not saying don't suggest changes, but there are already changes planned to come out soon, and they may fix many of the issues. So let's see what they bring and then suggest any changes we think would improve the new new player experience.

Well Update 14 is coming soon, and it's placing a lot of importance on a new player experience overhaul. Let's see how that goes and then maybe suggest ways to improve it if we see problems.

I'm not saying don't suggest changes, but there are already changes planned to come out soon, and they may fix many of the issues. So let's see what they bring and then suggest any changes we think would improve the new new player experience.

Oh? That's great news! I kind of wish I didn't make this topic now...xD

The fusion tutorial idea is really good.

As for the weapon choices... I'm not sure what weapons should be made available.

The MK-1 Braton has a nice balance of damage, accuracy, clip size and fire rate.

Well honestly, vasto lex or lato for secondary. Strun, braton, or...maybe some sort of sniper (bring back snipetron?) for primary..that would cover the automatic pistol, in between, and the slow hard hitting categories for secondary and shotgun/rifle/sniper categories for primary.

I see bows and launchers as more of "expert" weapon types as bows have travel time and launchers you can pretty easily kill yourself. For secondary having a dual weapon choice would automatically make that one the most picked (unless it was really weird looking, like akbronco or something) and most of the secondaries are pistols so it would make sense to have one of each of those since there's 2 extreme's and a fairly balanced one in between. Not to mention all of these weapons besides vasto/the sniper that doesn't exist are buyable in the store so if someone makes a choice early game and regrets it wanting to try the other one they can save up and buy it.

Could do the sicarus instead of the vasto since it's buyable in the store and it's a 3 round burst so it's fairly different from the other 2...but it makes more sense at least in my head to have vasto as the 3rd one since it's in between the other 2 and a 3 round burst might be weird for a new player if they don't realize it has it or what it does.

Melee weapons...that's a different story. I think it'd be great to have a choice between 3 for new players but there are *so* many different categories with 2-3 weapons in them....there's not really a way to pick 3 out of all of them that would show new players a good taste of the choices out there. I mean you could do like...a sword (skana), a dagger, or a staff. Doesn't sound like a great idea unless they make starter weapons for a few of the weapons types or something...like a starting dagger/staff/axe or something.