Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De It's About Time You Rework/buff Overload (Volt's 4Rth Ability)

bl4ckhunter

i don't know how many times it's been said but overload (don't get me wrong overload=/=volt, it's just that this is psychic bolts useless for 100 energy) it's simply the worst ultimate ability of every frame (and it's outshined in every single field by miasma) it sports

- lowest damage of the aoe nuke abilities (stomp, crush, miasma etch)

- absolutely terrible sinergy with the rest of the frame 

- situational and unreliable, works at maximum potential only once per room 

- cc effect get's cancelled by animations 

- moderately long animation

- short non-extendible cc duration 

- relativey bad damage type

No matter how i would prefer a rework into something non-aoe nuke (a good 70% of  100 energy abilities are aoe nukes) this ability could be easily fixed as there are mainly two problems that make overload the crap that it is and that if they were addressed would make this ability perfect, the first is that, against any gameplay logic, balance, intuition or phisical law, the electronics for some unfathomable reason after being "sparked" once stop working even thought they keep sparkling with electricity, the second is that both electrical shield  and speed are duration based and shock doesn't really get affected by a duration build but that makes overload even more trash than it is even thought it's duration should by any logic be affected by duration mods becouse any ability that deals damage over time or in multiple instances is affected by duration except this

Humm.. perhaps weak compared to other Ultimate powers, but weak? whaa..? Seriously not every power has to be more powerful then the previous, overload does alot of good for me when I fram T4 keys, it let me run the Breeding Grounds event without any problem against lvl.300+ enemies. Sure dmg may be on the low end, but meh... I did beat mysterious shippments in just 3 overloads so no its not as bad as you think, you just need to know how to use it properly.

not before they redo oberon they aren't.

reckoning>overload by a long shot in EVERY situation, more damage, longer and unavoidable cc, faster animation and a little bit of healing and a much better damage type

Humm.. perhaps weak compared to other Ultimate powers, but weak? whaa..? Seriously not every power has to be more powerful then the previous, overload does alot of good for me when I fram T4 keys, it let me run the Breeding Grounds event without any problem against lvl.300+ enemies. Sure dmg may be on the low end, but meh... I did beat mysterious shippments in just 3 overloads so no its not as bad as you think, you just need to know how to use it properly.

that's like saying that having it is better than not having anything at all with that mentality everything is fine, but tell me a case where you wouldn't take another 4rth or even 3rd ability in it's place? it simply doesn't shine in any area and needs a build that doesn't benefit anything else

Edited by bl4ckhunter

5m longer range isn't really meaningful, the cc of miasma has the same lenght and scales of duration  

Last i checked the duration was 3 seconds and didnt scale with any mods

The only change is how long it takes her miasma damage to come completely out

The stun for volt should be slightly longer and with a higher range especially after max range mods that saryn wouldnt be able to make use of

Last i checked the duration was 3 seconds and didnt scale with any mods

The only change is how long it takes her miasma damage to come completely out

The stun for volt should be slightly longer and with a higher range especially after max range mods that saryn wouldnt be able to make use of

you are wrong apparently http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Miasma 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

It gets an uber buff from range mods, has a guaranteed 100% Electric proc (which does an additional 50% damage to the target and to enemies around it), and stuns fairly consistently. Also, if there are electronics nearby (yeah I know, 1 use per room essentially), it gets a massive damage buff (250 per electronic to enemies nearby, all with guaranteed Electric procs).

In short, listed damage is lower than actual damage, and Stretch and/or Overextended will make you wipe out the map.

It gets an uber buff from range mods, has a guaranteed 100% Electric proc (which does an additional 50% damage to the target and to enemies around it), and stuns fairly consistently. Also, if there are electronics nearby (yeah I know, 1 use per room essentially), it gets a massive damage buff (250 per electronic to enemies nearby, all with guaranteed Electric procs).

In short, listed damage is lower than actual damage, and Stretch and/or Overextended will make you wipe out the map.

stun from electric proc gets cancelled by animations, electronics are situational, unreliable and work only once, if you use overextended it fails to kill even low level mobs and all aoe nukes benefit just as much from stretch and it will never ever nor ever did since  mod 1.0  wipe any kind of map not even with max power strengt build

Whats with all these Volt threads recently?  He's better than he's ever been and people still complain because they don't understand game mechanics.

as i've aready said in the op this thread is about overload specifically wich sucks extremely and most volt players don't even equip 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

stun from electric proc gets cancelled by animations, electronics are situational, unreliable and work only once, if you use overextended it fails to kill even low level mobs and all aoe nukes benefit just as much from stretch and it will never ever nor ever did since  mod 1.0  wipe any kind of map not even with max power strengt build

Have you actually used Volt? I don't mean that in any accusatory way, but he seriously benefits from Overextended. It increases both the range to hit electronics and their arcing range, so Stretch+Overextended can easily clear a large portion of maps. I've used him against all 3 factions (and some against Corrupted), and Overload will clear everything really easily. Corpus Robotics take more from it (so it's pretty good against them), but it's largely effective against Infested because they swarm. Grineer are really the only ones who give it any trouble because of their armor, but it'll still take them out or at least stun them long enough for you to deal with them.

My usual build has Intensify and Stretch, and those are enough to make Overload clear out anything on the Star Chart with ease (aside from bosses and maybe some stuff on Ceres). The only time it doesn't hold up as well is in Defense and Survival, but it can still be modded to become a long range stun with some extra damage against clustered enemies. For those though, use all his abilities. He's not a mash 4 kind of guy.

Have you actually used Volt? I don't mean that in any accusatory way, but he seriously benefits from Overextended. It increases both the range to hit electronics and their arcing range, so Stretch+Overextended can easily clear a large portion of maps. I've used him against all 3 factions (and some against Corrupted), and Overload will clear everything really easily. Corpus Robotics take more from it (so it's pretty good against them), but it's largely effective against Infested because they swarm. Grineer are really the only ones who give it any trouble because of their armor, but it'll still take them out or at least stun them long enough for you to deal with them.

My usual build has Intensify and Stretch, and those are enough to make Overload clear out anything on the Star Chart with ease (aside from bosses and maybe some stuff on Ceres). The only time it doesn't hold up as well is in Defense and Survival, but it can still be modded to become a long range stun with some extra damage against clustered enemies. For those though, use all his abilities. He's not a mash 4 kind of guy.

yes i've used volt,  he was the first frame i got back when he still was a starter frame and  i've never ever seen  overload clear anything past lvl 20 with blind rage (rank 10) and intensify and as i've already said overload is junk, speed shock and electric shield are good, i've realized hom much trash is overload only after reequipping it since electric shield is kinda buggy atm

Speak for yourself.

i didn't say all volt players, even thought i think i've seen overload used just twice past saturn  

Edited by bl4ckhunter

Wow. I really think that actually overload is one of the best Ultis out there, it has a long range and can easily double or triple the damage if there are electronic stuff arround it stuns and is spammable, if you only like to spam 4. 

Wow. I really think that actually overload is one of the best Ultis out there, it has a long range and can easily double or triple the damage if there are electronic stuff arround it stuns and is spammable, if you only like to spam 4.

electronics work just once, then it's just the damage on the tooltip

anyway math at hand here is the damage at maximum power strenght for some other ulti to make some comparison

overload 1500, avalache 2200, crush 1990, miasma 4293 not factoring duration mods, 2800 reckoning, 1880 rhino stomp

keeping in mind that electric does bonus damage only to robotics (wich means moas which have more shields than health) overload is simply the worst overall with the lowest damage by far and the second less effective cc (tie with crush, only avalanche cc is worst but avalanche is quite more spammable)

Edited by bl4ckhunter

1- lowest damage of the aoe nuke abilities (stomp, crush, miasma etch) - relativey bad damage type

2- absolutely terrible sinergy with the rest of the frame 

3- situational and unreliable, works at maximum potential only once per room 

4- cc effect get's cancelled by animations - short non-extendible cc duration 

5- moderately long animation

1.) Stomp is 800 damage though.. Electric isn't all that bad, it doesn't have many weaknesses, plus has one of the better status effects.

2.) It's a 360 degree version of Shock.. it's a wide range stun, I don't see how it has terrible synergy..

3.) I'll give you that, as far as the damage is concerned, more tiles need electronics. Otherwise, it's not solely meant for damage.

4.) Yes, this. Each pulse should apply new status procs to enemies within the AOE. Please, DE.

5.) WUT it has one of the quickest animations. Volt hops up, zaps, then is free to move while the ability plays out. (Will occasionally enter the old, dreaded Electric Jesus state... that needs to go.)

I'm down for it getting more pulses via Duration mods, that would bolster its damage, and increase its crowd control abilities (once DE fixes/improves how it applies status procs).

Though.. fixing Shield is a bigger priority.

Edited by Flackenstien

stun from electric proc gets cancelled by animations

This is an important point. It's very common for enemies to ignore the stun and immediately start firing at you again because they were shifting into a cover position and do that weird sliding thing that cancels the stun.  Vyrnaazus above talks about the extra procs as if they provide additional stun, which they can, once, if the enemies broke out of the anim early.  Otherwise additional arcs only give the extra damage, once, because the stun does not "refresh" if they're hit while already stunned.  And that stun is damned short.  A lot of people don't pay attention to these details and assume it's great because it can wipe rooms of lower level enemies.  

Idk, I don't know if it will change anytime soon, if ever.  I just run Volt without Overload for now.  

Overload is fine, honestly.

It might not do alot of damage buts its a very VERY reliable stun with massive range that goes through walls, floors, and ceilings.

And it has no cooldown.

It's very similar to radial blind in a way.

If it were to be buffed, the best idea I've seen put forward was to make Volt's electric shields into conduits for the bonus lightning damage caused by Overload.

Meaning one could set Volt's shields in key areas of a map, and after all the general electronics explode, his shields would continue to send forth the bolts of lightning.

But in all honesty Volt doesnt really need a buff or nerf. He's pretty much as perfectly balanced as frame can be (as soon as they make his shields turn lasers into hitscan again which stopped working after the last patch) which was one of his most powerful abilities.

Edited by Kruglov

While its not perfect, it still provides wicked CC. Although the damage does need a buff since Elec dmg is one of the worst elements in-game

yes but has personally one of the best status effect, usable in about any situation, except ospreys and bosses). But the thing is a straight up damage buff, (however overload can get one of the highest amounts of damage of any, pure damage ability, so not counting, absorb, m prime other category), antimatter drop, chaos, etcetera.

It is just a situationall abltiy, like vortex is not always the best option, (because enemies are spread too far apart). or Bastille would outshine the result), or chaos isn't great against a single enemy (neglecting the short stun). It has it quirks and it drawbacks, but that the thing about volt (except maybe for shock, since it is quite straight forward), his abilities have great uses and give great benefits, but with drawbacks (shield will offer up your maneuverability, and speed makes pulling of combos and performing other already hard to coordinate procedures a tad harder).

However you may make my entrie comment obsolete, since it is more based of speculation( and friend who has build his volt for straight cc/ power with shock and overload, doing till reasonably high level (he hasn't given me any numbers though), I however prefer to use volt's other abilities. but that's isn't because of the fact that overload isn't good, I find that his other skills are more fun, and has very interesting mechanics.

I'd trade Volt's ult for Excal's. Have fun killing two targets, while the rest of the ult collides with walls or targets the shield lancer who's immune to it.

Volt's speed and shield are among the best spells in the entire game. Giving complete invulnerability without limit and bonus damage, on top of speeding up missions to easily half the time. Sure Volt's 4 key isn't "Hey let me clear every wave in defense up to wave 100" like some of them, but I don't think every single frame should be the same.

Edited by WhiteCopain