[DE]Steve

Re: Warframe & Shares (Late Response Is Late)

Unfortunately this, right here, is the current problem.  We have an information vacuum.  It's a totally understandable vacuum, as legal stuff is involved, but a vacuum is more or less a blank slate.  In the absence of substance, people will fill the void with their own hopes and fears.  PWE instills fear in many (most?), so the neutral void becomes filled with that fear, causing it to amplify.

We don't know what is going on.  We aren't going to for at least several days if not a week or two.  We can let DE know our concerns (hopefully in a calm and rational manner), and we have.  Unfortunately we likely aren't going to hear anything more or get anything like solid information any time soon. 

The saddest thing, for me, is that even if this turns out to be totally false, that DE turns the offer down, the incredible storm it has caused is going to leave their image tarnished for a great many people.  It's sort of a lose-lose situation for them at this point, because of the virulent reaction people seem to be having.  I hope, however, that this does not cause exactly the reaction that people are most afraid of.  Has it occurred to anyone that the execs might see this kind of violent backlash and say "well, since we lost our Western support, we might just as well go all in"?

If they do the right thing and back out of this deal, I'd be willing to bet all the negative image will be washed away. People aren't really angry at DE - they are scared for DE and angry at PWE. For me at least, I know if they completely went back on the deal I'd forgive all of this in an instant.

• Upvote 2

One has to wonder, how much more of a rage-war would have happened if DE_Steve did NOT say anything and they kept their mouths shut. That happened oh so often, and considering the response time to at least say something, even after a night's sleep, actually isn't bad.

And I don't get why people are raging over "business decisions not being made public." You don't have to know everything as long as it isn't ready. That will only make it worse, always.

The only reason PWE wants DE is because of Warframes insane success. If they can't get to it, they will.

Then how come Nexon or EA haven't tried it already before? We don't know. They might have already tried but negotiations didn't go well, and perhaps the only reason why we hear about the PWE stuff is due to the deal letting DE stay in absolute and complete control over Warframe? Look at the history of Digital Extremes. I don't think they're doing so bad and I don't think they're doing so awful currently. If so, it would have been felt, trust me. Not only by new marketing tricks but also you would have seen it somewhere, sometime in the faces of the devs at a stream.

People who try to hold on for as long as they can, bear the marks in their faces. I don't see ANY of them. Now look at some Devs who have been screwed through hell and back. You'll see the difference.

Also, https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/255923-de-please-please-do-not-do-business-with-perfect-world-megahyperultrathread/page-309#entry2970339

https://www.facebook...152197916298461

DE is opening a branch in California

It would make no sense that DE's higher ups would decide to break ground in California for their flagship title, and less then a week later decide to sell the whole thing off.

What? That there might be a complete change of team, ("new branch", right...)

And some incorrect stuff about what you need to do for a Chinese launch (which is, basically, to make a separate company in partnership with a Chinese company...NOT to sell the core company!)

Not reassuring.

Edited by DawnFalcon

Dear Tenno,

You may have read something about the business development side of Digital Extremes and it may have you concerned. For legal reasons, we can't disclose specifics but if you know the history of Warframe you'd know that we are intent on having Warframe's design remain in the hands of Digital Extremes. Yes, opportunities will arise for us but the game itself is and will remain a labor of love.

-Steve

Speaking of love,how aboot a love story.

[tube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Th-5w26U8-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/tube]

She may come back,she may look the same,she might playthe same but can she be trusted.

I'm not trying to reignite the firestorm, but the statement they released is utterly meaningless PR babble.  He didn't disprove a single thing.  He didn't address any of the questions we've asked.  It was three freaking lines of text.  Why are you all suddenly calm and not worried about this at all?  An entire week of anger deserves more than one short post that doesn't actually say a single thing.

• Upvote 11

Because we realize DE CAN'T say anything at the moment. Respect, nuff said.

Edited by Gravalite
  • Upvote 5

His entire topic has both sides (of the community(worried, not worried)). go there.

Edited by Firetempest

Take your pick:

(-A-) DE locks threads where people express their anger, so you just don't see it.

(-B-) Angry people packed up and left, so they aren't around any longer to express their anger.

(-C-) Angry people have decided that posting their anger solves nothing, and have moved on to other avenues to seek restitution, such as class action lawsuits to force refunds for founders packages.

Edited by Soulrift
  • Upvote 2

what's the point? at the end all we can do is hope for the best be ready to leap clear at the worst.

Take your pick:

(A) DE locks threads where people express their anger, so you just don't see it.

(B) Angry people packed up and left, so they aren't around any longer to express their anger.

© Angry people have decided that posting their anger solves nothing, and have moved on to other avenues to seek restitution, such as class action lawsuits to force refunds for founders packages.

(D) Most of the playerbase is actually satisfied with the vague message in blissful ignorance.

Because we realize DE CAN'T say anything at the moment. Respect, nuff said.

And why is that "respectable"?  That's shadier than the Infested's darkest and sweatiest hive-crack.  If they can't say anything about it to the fans and they're doing business with a company well known for business shenanigans, that's something to be very very worried about - and with all that said I strongly doubt an NDA required them not to reply to any of the anger and fear their community's built up.

• Upvote 2

Because DE delivered a statement that basically didn't say anything new.

If anything, Steve confirmed that a "deal" was in the works and he presented that as an "opportunity", despite having a unified community saying they'll abandon the game if PWE gets involved.

PWE does not do deals, PWE takes over and enforces their own payment and microtransaction policies.

• Upvote 1

Anybody who can explain to a poor sod who just got a wifi connection?

Anybody who can explain to a poor sod who just got a wifi connection?

DE is doing business with the Chinese equivalent of EA.  Everyone is worried.  DE Is doing nothing to disabuse the notion aside from releasing a very inadequate statement.  That about covers it.

• Upvote 1

Now Playing:

Dr. Strangeframe, or How I Learned to Calm my Booben and Love the M Prime

The question is, why are people still making new topics about it?

You're all saying the same things, with multiple threads.

You've all shown your thoughts on it, but you lot are acting like bad things have happened already, and even if they have or will, there is nothing you can do about it. If it happens, it happens, whether the players want it to or not.

You think the other communities of games bought by other companies weren't as against it as you are? They probably rallied too.

Look what they achieved. Bloody nothing.

Save your wailing for when something happens. Undue panic helps nobody and achieves nothing.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Personally, as I mentioned with the Star Trek Online example a few pages ago, I am not reassured at all, and nothing DE says will reassure me.

The thing I loved the most about DE and Warframe was that they didn't have an MMO overlord like Perfect World or Gameforge hanging above their heads, now they do, and literally, -the only- company worse then Perfect World, is Gameforge.

Now, I'm not stupid, just as with STO the interaction between devs and player won't really change that much, but eventually what's added to the game will, mere months after Perfect World acquired Cryptic and turned STO F2P, it suddenly had lockboxes, a lovely gamble box.

I only expect the countdown to Warframe's gamble mechanic now.

• Upvote 1

(D) Most of the playerbase is actually satisfied with the vague message in blissful ignorance.

Worried about what?

Yeah..... I'm going for D

I'm not trying to reignite the firestorm, but the statement they released is utterly meaningless PR babble.  He didn't disprove a single thing.  He didn't address any of the questions we've asked.  It was three freaking lines of text.  Why are you all suddenly calm and not worried about this at all?  An entire week of anger deserves more than one short post that doesn't actually say a single thing.

because they did speak

and just them speaking calms us cause we trust DE.  they've been the #1 dev team for over a year.

Here is the link to the document.

http://www.sumpofood.com/UploadFile/201463016302032745.pdf

Here is the text.

INSIDE INFORMATION
                                                    PROPOSED INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL EXTREMES

This announcement is made by Sumpo Food Holdings Limited (the “Company”) pursuant to Rule 13.09 
of the Rules Governing the Listing of Securities on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (the 
“Listing Rules”) and the Inside Information Provisions (as defined under the Listing Rules) under Part 
XIVA of the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Chapter 571 of the Laws of Hong Kong).

PROPOSED INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL EXTREMES

The board (the “Board”) of directors (the “Directors”) of the Company is pleased to announce that on 
30th June 2014, the Company, Perfect Online Holding Limited (“Perfect Online”) (the Company and 
Perfect Online collectively the “Purchasers” and each of them a “Purchaser”) and the shareholders (the 
“Vendors”) of Digital Extremes Ltd. (“Digital Extremes”) entered into a non-binding term sheet (the 
“Term Sheet”), pursuant to which the Purchasers intend to purchase, and Vendors intend to sell, all the 
outstanding shares of Digital Extremes (“Proposed Investment”), subject to due diligence and execution 
of definitive agreements between the parties.
As of the date hereof, the Purchasers are conducting due diligence investigations over the affairs of 
Digital Extremes, and the Purchasers and the Vendors have not yet entered into any legally binding 
definitive agreement in relation to the Proposed Investment. For a period of forty days from the date of 
the Term Sheet, Digital Extremes agrees not to solicit offers from any other parties for any financing and 
asset or share transfers without the consent of all the Purchasers.
It is expected that, if materialized, the Proposed Investment will constitute a notifiable transaction under 
the Listing Rules. The Company will comply with the then applicable Listing Rules requirements upon 
entering into any definitive agreement in respect of the Proposed Investment.

INFORMATION ABOUT PERFECT ONLINE

Perfect Online is a company incorporated under the laws of Hong Kong, a wholly-owned subsidiary of 
Perfect World Co., Ltd. (“Perfect World”), a company listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market. 
Perfect World is a leading online game developer and operator based in China.
To the best of the Directors’ knowledge, information and belief having made all reasonable enquiry, 
Perfect Online and Perfect World are third parties independent of the Company and its connected 
persons.

INFORMATION ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES AND THE VENDORS

Digital Extremes is a company incorporated under the laws of Ontario, Canada with limited liability,and is a next-generation studio developing ground-breaking Free-to-Play (F2P), AAA-quality multi-platform video games. The studio has been on the leading-edge of AAA-game development for over twenty years, building blockbuster first-person multiplayer hits as co-creators of Epic’s Unreal™ and Unreal Tournament™ as well as creating the multiplayer component of BioShock 2™. Leveraging this leadership, Digital Extremes has developed the creative processes, game technology (the Evolution Engine™), and infrastructure to profitably monetize cutting-edge AAA F2P games on all platforms, including mobile, PC, and next-generation consoles.

As at the date of this announcement, the entire issued share capital of Digital Extremes is owned by the 
Vendors. To the best of the Directors’ knowledge, information and belief having made all reasonable 
enquiry, Digital Extremes and the Vendors are third parties independent of the Company and its 
connected persons.

As the Proposed Investment may or may not proceed, shareholders of the Company and potential 
investors should exercise caution when dealing in the shares of the Company.

On behalf of the Board
Sumpo Food Holdings Limited
Yeung Chun Wai, Anthony
Vice Chairman

Hong Kong, 30th June 2014

As at the date of this announcement, the Board comprises Mr. Lin Qinglin, Mr. Yeung Chun Wai, Anthony, 
Mr. Wu Shiming and Mr. Yin Shouhong as executive directors, and Mr. Hu Chung Ming, Mr. Chau On Ta Yuen 
and Mr. Wei Ji Min as independent non-executive directors of the Company

• Upvote 1