The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is It Me Or Does De Have A Problem/issue On Balancing?

blackstraykitten

im not going to touch weapons because if i do itll take forever on examples alone so...

lets take prime of warframes only as examples:

there are 6 primes introduced ingame:
Excalibur Prime features an additional V polarity slot, a higher shield recharge, as well as a V Aura slot, rather than a slot without a polarity, but is otherwise identical to the Excalibur. Excalibur Prime is a founders-exclusive Warframe.

Please note that concerning mastery rank, Excalibur and its Prime version are considered separate for unlocking mastery levels. That is to say, each has its own 6000 mastery point contribution for reaching level 30.

Frost Prime features an additional D polarity slot, but has an otherwise identical slot layout to Frost's.

Mag Prime features an additional V polarity slot, but has an otherwise identical slot layout to Mag's.

Ember Prime

• Possesses a V and a D polarity, compared to Ember's double -. Granting her more offense and defensive potential.
  • Fireball ability can be used while reloading without interrupting the reload.

•Rhino Prime

• Rhino Prime is currently the only primed Warframe to have an ability modified specifically for its primed version.  In this case, Rhino's Iron Skin is gold instead of silver and appears to cover more of his body, yet the name stays the same.
  • Rhino is the second Prime Warframe that goes against previous statements from DE that primes would not be any better stat-wise, and has a slightly faster sprint speed.

•Loki Prime

• Loki Prime is the second Prime warframe after Excalibur Prime to have two additional polarity slots instead of just one, adding a second D and a - polarity.
  • On the current release version, Loki Prime is one of the Primes that has increased stats over the non-Prime counterpart, having 175 power with the former having 150 power only. This gives Loki Prime the highest maximum energy pool of any frame, with 262.5 at rank 30.

as you can see, frost and mag only got 1 additional polarity but ember got no additional but a polarity swap and a cast advantage on a skill that not much people use (ok, that is very debatable)
on the other hand rhino has 1 additional polarity AND a stat boost
but
this beautiful is at par to the exclusive excalibro prime!
loki gets 2 additional polarity AND stat boost?

why? nepotism?

It's not just you.

For the most part, the wonky "balancing" has to do with DE's slash-and-burn when it comes to updates. They either don't have the time to go back and rebalance old content, or they won't do it because there's little profit to be gained form doing so. Instead, they just build on topof those past faults and press onward.

The rest has to do with what feels like a lack of thorough playtesting.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

The reason the primes are like that is because DE was at first never going to give the primes more than an extra polarity slot. However, people kept asking for prime to be different from the normal versions aside from the polarity slot. But DE didnt want them to be overall better so that the normal versions are still just as viable.

This lead to what you say here happening. DE is experimenting trying to find a good balance between primes and normal versions of frames so that the prime have some differences, but that those differences are not big enough to make the normal versions completely obsolete.

I guess DE could go back to excal, mag and frost prime and retouch them a little to be more in line with ember, rhino and loki prime.

Balancing isnt really the easiest thing todo in any game, look at starcraft: Brood war. It took them like 8-10 years or something for them to balance it properly to a point where just about every player was happy with it.

Regular Ember is able to cast fireball while reloading. 
Excalibur primes V Aura is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade, there are benefits and advantages to each. 

According to DE statements about balancing 2 livestreams ago, they're not going to continually balance over and over, and instead wait until everything is more set an solid and then balance it all in one sweep. But they don't really know what is a balanced upgrade for primes to have over nonprimes. 
They started with Ember prime with giving each Prime a different kind of advantage over the regular Frame. Once they figure out which one they like best they will then probably retroactively adjust each prime to that style. 

Please. Warframe is a beta in name only, as an excuse for when things go wrong.

And you base this on what, exactly? This game has all the marks of a beta game, including being incredibly unpolished/unbalanced and such. Games out of beta tend to not go and completely rewrite large parts of the way the game works, like Damage/Melee 2.0 and especially the upcoming U14 do.

Edited by RyojinOrion

And you base this on what, exactly? This game has all the marks of a beta game, including being incredibly unpolished/unbalanced and such. Games out of beta tend to not go and completely rewrite large parts of the way the game works, like Damage/Melee 2.0 and especially the upcoming U14 do.

Call it an "endless beta" if you want, but the game has all the marks of a fully released game, including a cash shop, reviews on gaming "journalism" sites, a finished founder's program, a Steam release, console ports, and such.

It's only ever going to stop calling itself a beta when player numbers start to drop and they need a quick publicity stunt, mark my words.

I keep seeing people say that DE has stated they will revisit the older prime frames who don't have much of an advantage over their counterparts.

This. DE has mentioned before that an overall boost in older Prime frames to further differentiate them from their normal counterparts is on the list.

Of course, with DE, this is a very long list...

All polarity problems can be mended with forma which isnt even hard to get. Its extra grind to get it to 30 again or grind to get prime.

As for extra shield regen on excalibur prime, from what i remember it was 20 on regular and 21 on prime. Yep you regened 1 more shield per second compared to normal. It doesnt change delay it just changes how much shield you regain after delay has passed.

Not to mention that this is so minimal that it isnt even noticeable, it was only mentioned on wiki and i never seen proof that it is infact true.

Only primes which have advantage over their regular counterparts are rhino and loki

Edit: Havent noticed increased energy on loki prime, silly me.

Edited by Davoodoo

All polarity problems can be mended with forma which isnt even hard to get. Its extra grind to get it to 30 again or grind to get prime.

As for extra shield regen on excalibur prime, from what i remember it was 20 on regular and 21 on prime. Yep you regened 1 more shield per second compared to normal. It doesnt change delay it just changes how much shield you regain after delay has passed.

Not to mention that this is so minimal that it isnt even noticeable, it was only mentioned on wiki and i never seen proof that it is infact true.

Only prime which has advantage over their regular counterpart is rhino.

Yeah, it's funny how some people think that the shield regen bonus actually gives Excalibur Prime an edge over his non Primed version... Of all the guys who tested it, about half still think it's a hoax.^^'

I never noticed any difference either to be honest...